Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   F30 328ix ABSOLUTELY worst headlights EVER!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678605)

mrrrkva 02-25-2013 08:06 PM

F30 328ix ABSOLUTELY worst headlights EVER!!

Ok, I didnt get the premium package with the Xenons, but my 2007 base 328i was just fine with the headlights. I havent had headlights this bad since the mid 80's in any car I have had..... Any suggestions? Could they just be out of line? Should I get some Sylvania SilverStar Ultras? Any better bulbs....

Reedo302 02-25-2013 08:20 PM

Have the dealership check the alignment of the lights.

But yeah, you shoulda sprung for the Lighting Package. HIDs FTW.

boltjaM3s 02-26-2013 12:12 AM

Yes , Silverstar Ultras will help.

The F30 is a $50,000 German luxury car. It can be stripped down to $37,000 but it doesn't mean it should be.

BJ

finaloption 02-26-2013 06:02 AM

get these instead http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

blonyskin 02-26-2013 06:14 AM

One of the few, very few, issues I have with my new 328i is the headlights. First, they were aimed way too low. I raised them up, two full turns, and a big help. They are not too high, but just the same as my other cars now and no one has ever flashed me. Almost think mine came out of the factory wrong. I then put Silverstar Ultra's in the high beams. Some help, but not much. The real problem is, there is a gap between the low beam and high beam coverage, making the high beams too high, like in the trees. Turning on the high beams does not really make the road brighter, except at the end of a very long straight. I know, lowering the housing would bring down the high beams, but the gap would still be there and the low beams would be way too low. Check it out closely and you will see the gap in coverage. Of course on this car, turning on the high beams just turns on the seperate high beam bulbs, leaving the low beams on in the same position. The relationship between the coverage, bulb position, is not adjustable but fixed with the housing. I would be interested if others notice this after taking a close look.

SamS 02-26-2013 06:36 AM

Maybe this thread will be a good motivator for anyone sitting on the fence about the $900 headlight upgrade on the 328i (335i already has the best lights).

Every single time I drive at night, I'm amazed at how good the Xenons are. And the LED coronas look absolutely gorgeous during the day. It's a shame that the beautiful F30 can even be ordered with halogens.

blonyskin 02-26-2013 07:02 AM

Yes, it is the one option I wish I had ordered, but not driving much a night, I didn't.

mohrgan 02-26-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finaloption (Post 7405358)

This.

justinnum1 02-26-2013 08:13 AM

I had no issues with the headlights on my 328.

mrrrkva 02-26-2013 10:12 AM

Thanks for everyone's contribution. I am ordering the headlights on the post and adjusting the headlights. I did expect at least honda civic quality lights on my lightly equipped bmw. My 2007 328i stripper lights were sufficient. I was wondering if the ligjts got worse than the 2007 lights.

finaloption 02-26-2013 11:39 AM

i've read that changing the low beams halogens are a pain the ass.. the high beams should be 1-2-3

hellosopo 02-26-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finaloption (Post 7405358)

Why not just drive around with high-beams on? Those are off-road lights.

gkr778 02-26-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosopo (Post 7406936)
Why not just drive around with high-beams on? Those are off-road lights.

Indeed. The product description on Candlepower Inc clearly states "off-road upgrade for motorcycles, racing headlamps, diving lights, agricultural and industrial work lamps."

The Osram 65W H7 bulbs are definitely not meant to be used in passenger cars that are operated on public roads.

finaloption 02-27-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkr778 (Post 7407499)
Indeed. The product description on Candlepower Inc clearly states "off-road upgrade for motorcycles, racing headlamps, diving lights, agricultural and industrial work lamps."

The Osram 65W H7 bulbs are definitely not meant to be used in passenger cars that are operated on public roads.

make sure you guys never go over the speed limit either :rolleyes:

i've used them for a few years and they're totally fine. i doubt any cop is going to pull you over and inspect your lights to make sure they're DOT approved

research a little bit and you will find that these are pretty commonly suggested & widely popular

dwlink 02-27-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamS (Post 7405408)
Maybe this thread will be a good motivator for anyone sitting on the fence about the $900 headlight upgrade on the 328i (335i already has the best lights).

Every single time I drive at night, I'm amazed at how good the Xenons are. And the LED coronas look absolutely gorgeous during the day. It's a shame that the beautiful F30 can even be ordered with halogens.

I agree - just throw the damn xenons into the base price @ invoice cost which is probably around $700. For someone who is on the fence about purchasing new, its practically just 1 more monthly payment. As for buying used, its a bit more difficult to extract average market price for that option, but once again its going to be in the noise of a single payment unlike something like the premium or sport packages.

mohrgan 02-27-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkr778 (Post 7407499)

I also have been running these in both low and high beam applications and never had a problem with either oncoming cars or the cops. It is only a 10 watt upgrade so it is still safe for the wiring and doesn't create too much heat buildup inside the housing. However,
there is a noticeable increase in lighting output to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

notfound 02-27-2013 09:04 AM

Dumb question, but is it going to be difficult to replace these bulbs in F30? I thought new gen headlight assemblies were somehow sealed

furby076 02-27-2013 12:12 PM

335i has the lighting package standard :)

woodswatchco 02-27-2013 04:05 PM

I didn't get the lighting package because it wasn't in my budget. Honestly, when safety is greatly increased by better night vision, even a $37k car should have Xenons standard. I'd let BMW keep a whole lot of the other electronic and idrive related items in exchange for better headlights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7405129)
Yes , Silverstar Ultras will help.

The F30 is a $50,000 German luxury car. It can be stripped down to $37,000 but it doesn't mean it should be.

BJ

justinnum1 02-27-2013 04:09 PM

they dont come on base audis or mercedes either.

boltjaM3s 02-27-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 7409332)
they dont come on base audis or mercedes either.

It's likely all auto makers most profitable add-on feature, probably the most popular too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodswatchco (Post 7409322)
I didn't get the lighting package because it wasn't in my budget. Honestly, when safety is greatly increased by better night vision, even a $37k car should have Xenons standard. I'd let BMW keep a whole lot of the other electronic and idrive related items in exchange for better headlights.

I'd agree in principle, but it's the price we pay for having $50,000 cars that can be de-featured to $37,000.

When buying the car, the budget shouldn't skimp on safety features, another way to look at it.

BJ

dsackman 02-27-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7409465)

SNIP

... it's the price we pay for having $50,000 cars that can be de-featured to $37,000.

SNIP

BJ

Actually the 3-Series, as with the competition (Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class) are $37,000 cars (actually only $32,000) that can be made $50,000 cars if the owner so wishes.

The fact that you can add stuff to the base $32,000 car does not suddenly make it a $50,000 car. The underpinnings is still a mere $32,000 car with $18,000 worth of stuff added.

All my Audi and VW cars have HID lights. They are normally added as part of a higher level package. The BMW does not have HID lights - it was a floor model and even with the higher packages on the BMW (Premium and Technology), it did not include HID lights. The regular lights on the BMW are not quite up to it. Skimping on the basic safety items and treating lighting as optional accessories like jewelry is a shame.

woodswatchco 02-27-2013 06:05 PM

It would be nice if xenons were included but I guess we can't have everything to keep the base price competetive. I've always bought cars by the "bang for the buck" process. Or like buying the cheapest house in a nice neighborhood. I always appreciate your comments BJ but you have to be the only person on earth that thinks a super loaded car like yours should be entry level for all. Maybe there is some rational to that thought now that I think about it? I'd probably be stuck in a VW GLI Autobahn if the world was according to BJ! Regardless, don't be surprised if BMW sends you a huge gift basket of imported German delicacies in gratitude! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7409465)
It's likely all auto makers most profitable add-on feature, probably the most popular too.

I'd agree in principle, but it's the price we pay for having $50,000 cars that can be de-featured to $37,000.

When buying the car, the budget shouldn't skimp on safety features, another way to look at it.

BJ

mrrrkva 02-27-2013 06:06 PM

HUGE difference after I adjusted the lights!! They were WAY to LOW...... I read this post... scroll down to where TONYJ shows the picture.. http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742204

mrrrkva 02-27-2013 06:18 PM

Paying $4000 just to get lights is ridiculous. I didnt like the Premium package (I think you have to get the premium package for the privilege of paying $900 for lights). The dealerships cant even tell the difference between leather and leatherette, and those packages REALLY depreciate. Plus with the my2013, I got the garage door opener and the memory power seats.