Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   I can feel halt when using sport mode, is that a problem? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680249)

leadensky 03-05-2013 01:09 PM

I can feel halt when using sport mode, is that a problem?
 
Hi all, I got my new 2013 X3 28i last week. I am new to BMW so I am not sure if it is a problem.

When I use the sport mode, and start the car from speed 0, I can feel halt when the speed goes up. It feels like the speed goes up too fast and the transmission's response is not fast enough. I am not sure if it is normal?

If I use comfort mode, the speed goes up not that fast and there is no such halt.

So is there any one has the same feeling? is it normal?

Thanks in advance!

The X Men 03-05-2013 01:15 PM

If halt means a slight delay and then a big jerk, then its pretty normal on the X3 with the 4 cylinder. How many miles you have on your car?

leadensky 03-05-2013 01:22 PM

Yes it is 2.0T with 4 cylinder.

It was 6 miles when I got the car last week. Now it has 95 miles.

I am happy to know that it is normal. Thanks a lot!


Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7421672)
If halt means a slight delay and then a big jerk, then its pretty normal on the X3 with the 4 cylinder. How many miles you have on your car?


Hardrada 03-05-2013 02:40 PM

I thought the exact same thing when I got my X3 28i a month ago - i.e. very abrupt downshifts in Sport mode. It took me about 3 weeks to adjust. Your foot basically has to learn how much and when to apply pressure to the pedal to get smoother downshifts. It can be done, with practice and patience. Give it some time.

The X Men 03-05-2013 04:23 PM

Instead of normal, I should say its a common problem with BMW's 8 speed transmission, especially on the 4 cylinder turbo models.

leadensky 03-06-2013 02:24 PM

Thanks for your advice. I think I have to get used to it.:)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardrada (Post 7421921)
I thought the exact same thing when I got my X3 28i a month ago - i.e. very abrupt downshifts in Sport mode. It took me about 3 weeks to adjust. Your foot basically has to learn how much and when to apply pressure to the pedal to get smoother downshifts. It can be done, with practice and patience. Give it some time.


leadensky 03-06-2013 02:36 PM

So you mean the 6 cylinder turbo models like x3 35i also has such problem?
Why the 8 speed transmission has such problem, isnt it supposed to be smoother (compared to 6 speed transmission) when it shifts? just curious :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7422126)
Instead of normal, I should say its a common problem with BMW's 8 speed transmission, especially on the 4 cylinder turbo models.


karimsha 03-07-2013 01:21 AM

First to see with same as my car> have a q
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leadensky (Post 7421692)
Yes it is 2.0T with 4 cylinder.

It was 6 miles when I got the car last week. Now it has 95 miles.

I am happy to know that it is normal. Thanks a lot!


Hi ,
my car is exactly like yours, petrol not gas. I just posted a new thread , i have a calpping sound in the engine when slightly pressing the accelarator when stationary up to 1.5 RPM for on;y a second. Do you have the same sound ? or do I have an electrical problem or is it bad fuel .Thanks to tell ..

Cheers

BMdude816 03-07-2013 01:27 AM

+1 for Hardrada

Sometimes, we need to have ample time knowing our car before we can perfectly drive it down the road. :)

leadensky 03-07-2013 11:40 AM

Hi, there is no such sound for my car. I think it is no supposed to have any sound when the RPM is not high, like 1.5. I can hear the sound of Turbo when RPM goes up to 4. Maybe you need let your dealer check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karimsha (Post 7425555)
Hi ,
my car is exactly like yours, petrol not gas. I just posted a new thread , i have a calpping sound in the engine when slightly pressing the accelarator when stationary up to 1.5 RPM for on;y a second. Do you have the same sound ? or do I have an electrical problem or is it bad fuel .Thanks to tell ..

Cheers


The X Men 03-07-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadensky (Post 7424295)
So you mean the 6 cylinder turbo models like x3 35i also has such problem?
Why the 8 speed transmission has such problem, isnt it supposed to be smoother (compared to 6 speed transmission) when it shifts? just curious :p

The problem is not as bad on the 35i due to the higher engine power. In my opinion, the jerky lower gear shifts are from the transmission's programming. The 8 speed's biggest advantage over the 6 speed is lower shift points, increase power and better gas mileage. The problem usually goes away if you drive it in the sport mode. It seems the more gentle you are with your car, the worst the problem get. That is because the transmission computer is trying to learn your driving style and shift accordingly. If you drive aggressively, it will keep the rpm higher before shifting gears which means less delay and jerking. There is a way for the dealer to reset the transmission's adpated shift points. There is also a way to reset the transmission's adpated shift points by yourself that have work in other BMW models, but the result usually only last for a few months. Your car is still pretty new, wait a few more months and see if the gears break in properly, if not, have the dealer take a look at it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms