Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New BMWs too complex for DIY? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681037)

frostbyte 03-09-2013 10:08 AM

New BMWs too complex for DIY?

I like doing my own work on cars. Are newer BMWs too complex? I'm hearing after the e46 your pretty much screwed, everything has to go through the dealer. I currently own an e36 and I'm pretty confident I can handle most things on the car. If it breaks I can fix it. How about the e90s and f30s?

Pilgrim 03-09-2013 11:09 AM

I just changed from an E36 to an E92. I'm using posts on these forums to learn about things that are new to me - like registering a new battery.

But the message I get is that mechanical stuff is still OK for DIY as long as you have the skills. Brakes, rotors, suspension, engine accessories....that's fair game. My skills extend to engine and manual transmission rebuilding, but I won't take those on unless forced to because I lack good facilities for those jobs.

CT 03-09-2013 11:49 AM

Step 1) Acquire BT Scan Tool
Step 2) Doesn't afraid of any DIY

BashedBarrique 03-09-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT (Post 7431193)
Step 1) Acquire BT Scan Tool
Step 2) Doesn't afraid of any DIY

I just recently purchased my E90 but I agree with CT. If you are willing to buy the proper diagnostic tools, and learn what your PCU is doing and how it interacts with the various sensors, it still comes down to air, spark and fuel.

Even in the "old days" of analog ignition systems and carburetors you had to understand the various systems and have the proper tools; tach dwell meter, inductive timing light, vacuum gauge etc.

In some ways the newer computerized systems are easier to diagnose since the computer is monitoring and recording most engine and transmission functions. All you need is a tool to read those codes and an understanding of what they mean.

Of course that last part will take some learning on your part but if you are a good DYI'er you'll probably pick it up.

mr_bean 03-09-2013 01:06 PM

There are increasingly more things that only the dealer can do. But, you can still perform 99% of the repairs and maintenance. Don't be afraid of working on these newer models. You just have to learn some new things and invest a little $ in new equipment.

bear-avhistory 03-09-2013 02:27 PM

The manual is a good investment - shows how stuff comes apart so you don't break anything pulling on a hidden fastener.

fun2drive 03-09-2013 03:44 PM

I have heard this from the E30 crowd years ago then the E36 crowd and on and on.
Yes the cars are more complex but more capable too but the advice above is good. You can do most of the mechanical and some electrical work on the E90's.
One thing is clear, forums like this where we share information makes enthusist capable of doing a lot more than what you might have expected. For example there is virtually nothing unknown about the E30 and E36 BMWs.
I expect that will happen to some degree with the E90 series as it already has to a minor degree. Many good software hacks have discovered many things about the way BMW has written software. Just look at the tuning community for example.

frostbyte 03-09-2013 05:15 PM

I'd like to thank everyone for your input. I feel pretty confident about buying a new BMW now. The two brands that I was looking into were the Subaru and BMW. It seems like those two brands really stick well to the driver philosophy I think Infiniti is good too. When I get my engineering job, plus gambling most of what I make in investments and dumping my girlfriend lol I think I'll finally make enough to own the BMW.

hondo402000 03-10-2013 06:50 AM

Dump the girl. And you will have lots of free time and money. Unless she likes to get her Hands dirty. Most will just nag you that you aren't doing what they want you to do

CALWATERBOY 03-10-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbyte (Post 7431028)
I like doing my own work on cars. Are newer BMWs too complex? I'm hearing after the e46 your pretty much screwed, everything has to go through the dealer. I currently own an e36 and I'm pretty confident I can handle most things on the car. If it breaks I can fix it. How about the e90s and f30s?

Well, check into the DIY forum here & at other boards; Google.

A few tools and the zeal to dare....do you have it?