Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   software update for 2012 X3? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683157)

Supermax 03-18-2013 07:23 PM

software update for 2012 X3?

I have a 2012 X3, which has a bit of an issue with acceleration that makes it very hard to accelerate smoothly from a stop. Basically you press the pedal and nothing happens, then you press it a tiny bit more, and the car lunges forward like you're gunning it. It's really not a big deal, and we've gotten used to it, but...

I read somewhere that there is a software update that can be done to fix the issue. I asked my service adviser, and his reply was "No software updates at all for that car."

Any suggestions here?

lbjgh 03-19-2013 04:48 AM

The is a tsb posted... I'll see if I can find it for ya.

Supermax 03-19-2013 10:18 AM

Thanks, that would be perfect!

dudley07726 03-19-2013 10:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

lbjgh 03-19-2013 01:51 PM

Thanks Dudley... beat me to it. :)

Supermax 03-19-2013 02:43 PM

Thanks guys! So how would you explain my service adviser's response? Do you think he's just blowing me off or is there a chance that he honestly doesn't know about these tsb's?

02420X3 03-19-2013 03:53 PM

I very much doubt he's blowing you off. I'm betting that he either doesn't have a clue about the TSB, or for some reason the TSB doesn't apply to your X3.

One TSB refers to "F25 with the N55 engine from 7/2010 (SOP) to 12/2011". The other refers to "F07, F10 and F25 with either the N52T or N55 engines and 8HP45 transmission up to 1/16/2012". It appears that the build date of your X3 may determine whether or not the TSB applies.

Supermax 03-19-2013 04:24 PM

I'm pretty sure mine was built before 1/16/2012, but bmwvin.com is down right now so can't confirm. I'll check it later.

Thanks again!

Supermax 03-20-2013 10:36 AM

Well I was wrong. My production date is 2012-02-23, so I guess that tsb doesn't apply.

csmcphail 03-20-2013 07:33 PM

A newer service bulletin to address low speed throttle response

I had already had the two service bulletins performed posted above. The B12 update fixed the throttle fluctuation on cold start. The B24 update was ineffective. As a result of my correspondence with BMW customer care, below, my 2011 35i is now @ Gault BMW being updated with a very new SW release that is supposed to finally correct the low speed throttle problems. I don't know the version # of that newest service bulletin. BMW customer service was very responsive in my case and spent quite a bit of time with my dealer's service rep. We'll see if it works and I will update this thread when I get my car back.
"Ref: VIN: 5UXWX7C52BL735326, Production #3654460, Miles appx:11,600

Dear BMW Customer Relations:

My wife and I love many aspects of our 2011 X3 35i. We had an absolute blast at the Performance Center Delivery in the Fall of 2011!

There is a significant, persistent issue that has not been resolved to our satisfaction, despite 2 service appointments. Throttle behavior at low speed is unpredictable and erratic to a degree that it keeps me on edge. My wife now looks for reasons to not drive the car. It is very difficult for either of us to perform gentle throttle manipulations at low speed without the car either momentarily hesitating or shooting off like a rocket. Likewise, when slowing down and then resuming posted speeds in situations like a traffic light transitioning from red to green, there is a similar difficulty predicting what will result from gentle throttle inputs. In other scenarios, the engine is a marvelous and velvety smooth beast.

Back in April 2012, we had the following update performed at Gault BMW in Endicott NY:
“A new software calibration was just released for this engine:
SIB 24 02 12
Subject:
N52T/N55 with 8HP45: Delay in Engine Response
Model
F25 with either N52T or N55 engines and 8HP45 transmission up to 1/16/2012
Situation
When slowing down to lower suburban road speeds and then reaccelerating, a delay in engine response may be experienced
Cause
Unfavorable EGS and DME software calibration
Correction
Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.46.0 or higher”
After the above visit, one behavior I didn’t mention above was totally resolved: an RPM surge on cold start…esp with the A/C on. I think that problem was associated with a different service bulletin. So that’s the good part. We continued, however, to experience the erratic throttle behaviors I described above. I noticed an additional behavior as well. On a cold start during the summer months (our first summer with the car), if you don’t wait for the RPMs to stabilize and if you attempt to drive away, the engine can stall. It has done this on two occasions, requiring a restart. I work around the irritation by waiting about 15 seconds for the RPMs to settle down before driving off. Again, this problem may have existed since day one and I may have just noticed it during our first summer.

In October, we took the car back to Gault BMW. The friendly service staff and technicians could not find any codes and confirmed the SW update was correctly performed back in April. Again, they were very professional and supportive, but were unable to solve the problem. We’ve been Acura customers since the mid-1990’s and decided to give BMW a try last year. There is so much to love about our X3, but this problem is a definite sore spot. We would greatly appreciate if BMW would get to the root cause of this problem.

Sincerely,

XXXX"

csmcphail 03-20-2013 07:38 PM

...and

I neglected to mention that it was not just customer care involvement. A BMW field engineer was engaged and did quite a lot of digging into the issue and seemed to be very familiar with this ongoing driveability complaint.

Doug in NC 03-21-2013 06:42 PM

I had the first TSB done last Fall and the hesitation is pretty much gone. I've probably adapted some to the way the throttle works.

Supermax 03-22-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmcphail (Post 7459388)
We'll see if it works and I will update this thread when I get my car back.

That would be great! Thanks! :thumbup:

csmcphail 03-22-2013 05:43 PM

It worked indeed. The difference is dramatic. Feels more like a mechanical linkage. Prior, it was as if at low speeds my foot action would translate to an appeal to the department of engines and transmissions with a request to consider my acceleration needs. The service rep did not document the bulletin number on the shop ticket. He said he would get the number and email it to me Monday when the technician is back at work. I will post it when I get it.

Doug in NC 03-22-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmcphail (Post 7464510)
It worked indeed. The difference is dramatic. Feels more like a mechanical linkage. Prior, it was as if at low speeds my foot action would translate to an appeal to the department of engines and transmissions with a request to consider my acceleration needs. The service rep did not document the bulletin number on the shop ticket. He said he would get the number and email it to me Monday when the technician is back at work. I will post it when I get it.

Good to hear that it worked!

jdavid2 03-24-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmcphail (Post 7464510)

I'm looking forward to getting more info on this update. The low speed acceleration issue has returned on my 2011 35i after having the update installed over a year ago. I'm planning on bringing my car inn to the dealer soon and would love to have this info.

Teemo Panda 03-25-2013 08:10 AM

Hey, there is a recall on the BMW navigation

Here are the SIB
Recall cas SIB 61 38 12
Cas software error
Programmed complete vehicle including cas.
Cleared fault memory. Initiated electromagnetic steering system.

Recall Nav update SIB 65 22 12
Nav map data incorrect
Nav map updated through USB port.

So far on the navigation, they updated it from 2012 to 2013a1
I'm seeing a clear map with incorporated details, such as parks and stuff. I will add more as soon as I use the navigation more.

csmcphail 03-25-2013 07:22 PM

Final Fix for acceleration issue

1 Attachment(s)
See attached scan of the .pdf

csmcphail 03-25-2013 07:47 PM

Nav Issue

Hi Kamigawa120...suggest you post new thread for the map issue so it'll catch more attention in the master topics list. Also, I presume you're not talking about just a map update, right? Do you have a .pdf of the update? I'd like to see what the effectivity is.
Thank you

dudley07726 03-26-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamigawa120 (Post 7469643)
Hey, there is a recall on the BMW navigation

Here are the SIB
Recall cas SIB 61 38 12
Cas software error
Programmed complete vehicle including cas.
Cleared fault memory. Initiated electromagnetic steering system.

Recall Nav update SIB 65 22 12
Nav map data incorrect
Nav map updated through USB port.

So far on the navigation, they updated it from 2012 to 2013a1
I'm seeing a clear map with incorporated details, such as parks and stuff. I will add more as soon as I use the navigation more.

I do not see which dated vehicles are covered for the NAV updates.

Zuger 04-04-2013 07:03 AM

Engine hesitation

I am glad I am reading this post! I have a 2012 X-3 2.8 with the six cylinder which I bought used. I thought it was normal that it hesitated when taking off from a stop, it almost feels like turbo lag but with no turbo! I will have my dealer check this out and mention that there is a service bulletin out concerning this issue. It is really beneficial to be part of these forums! Thanks :)

RhoXS 07-01-2013 08:34 AM

When buying a CPO I understand the Nav data base is updated. Is it also BMWs practice to update the software for the vehicles other systems?

I am in the process of buying a 2011 X3 with Nav and 21K miles. We already agreed on the price and now just going through the mechanics of buying the car.