Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   E39 DSC works, but can not switch off (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683519)

Makomagnet 03-20-2013 04:15 AM

E39 DSC works, but can not switch off

I have bmw e39 2001 525 and DSC light is not coming on when i press the DSC button, however when i switch the ignition on yellow triangle light comes on and goes off which how it should be. can any one help me.

QSilver7 03-20-2013 06:58 AM

Is this a new development or has it been like this for a while? And if it's been a while...did it occur around the time some other work or other malfunction/change/upgrade/mod occurred?

If you have diagnostic software/hardware, you could always hook it up and communicate with the control modules to see if there's a fault code registered...anything other than that will be a guess at what it could be if there's no other signs or symptoms that might lead us in some direction.

Minimal BMW 03-20-2013 07:23 AM

i had the same problem with ASC, an it was the ABS module problem, one very very thin wire was damaged in abs module
sorry for English

Makomagnet 03-20-2013 06:21 PM

QSilver7 thanks for the reply. A couple of years ago I replaced the LCM and it was not coded. Could that be the issue? As I remember I've been having this issue for a couple of years.

I don't have the tools to interrogation the software you mention, and I'm sure no one else went in there.

Any suggestions that may help identify where the problem is ?

mjalloul11 03-21-2013 12:19 AM

Did you try another switch? could be the reason why it wont shut down . The DSC will always stay on and only the switch can turn it off, or if something is wrong with it and then the light on the dash will be on all the time.

Makomagnet 03-21-2013 12:36 PM

I replaced the switch from a junkyard. No change. The strange thing was they were different part numbers. When I look up on real OEM it shows the part number I picked at the junkyard, not the previous switch. At one time it did work with the old switch.

senser 03-21-2013 07:01 PM

Your master cylinder could be low on brake fluid.

Makomagnet 03-22-2013 03:16 AM

I just purchased another switch off of EBay but will check my brake fluid this weekend.

Low on brake fluid could do that ?

It's worth a try

mjalloul11 03-22-2013 11:26 AM

Wont a low brake fluied triger the light on the dash?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App

Makomagnet 03-27-2013 03:14 AM

Installed new DSC switch hoping to toggle DSC system, switch made no change. It's not a bad switch.
What else is there ?

senser 03-27-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjalloul11 (Post 7463482)
Wont a low brake fluied triger the light on the dash?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App

Yes, the light that's triggered is the DSC light. Nothing else. When the master cylinder gets low the DSC light will be solid on.
I did a full brake flush using the pressurized method and a few bottles of BMW brake fluid and the light went away for good.

mjalloul11 03-28-2013 12:54 AM

There is a red light in the dash a circle with doted lines around, it lights up when the pads are worn or the brake fluied is low .

Makomagnet 03-29-2013 06:42 PM

Not brakes, not fluid level, not DSC switch. Is there a fuse or harness I can check the the switch is sending a "turn off" signal ?

QSilver7 03-30-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makomagnet (Post 7481516)
Not brakes, not fluid level, not DSC switch. Is there a fuse or harness I can check the the switch is sending a "turn off" signal ?

I think there may be multiple fuses due to there being underlying systems that work with DSC. Check the front fuse box (there should be a pull out fuse index card when you open the fuse flap in the glove box) and the rear fuse box (should be a fuse index on back of battery compartment door) and look for anything that has to do with ABS, ASC (automatic stability control), and/or DSC/DBC (dynamic stability control/dynamic braking control).

Again, there may multiple areas that a fuse related with traction control can be since ABS/ASC/DSC/DBC all work in conjunction with one another (not all e39s may have all of the systems aforementioned).

bmw_n00b13 03-31-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makomagnet (Post 7459225)
QSilver7 thanks for the reply. A couple of years ago I replaced the LCM and it was not coded. Could that be the issue? As I remember I've been having this issue for a couple of years.

You think?!:confused: LCM needs to be coded for at least the mileage.

Get the codes read; too many options to guess. Extremely common. http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...S_Control_Unit

Makomagnet 03-31-2013 03:14 PM

Qsilver7. Thank you for the information and experience.

The DSC switch now works. Fuse # 17 was missing and nothing was there. I replaced it and it now works as designed.

What is the amperage of the red fuses ?

Thank everyone who contributed