Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   looking for some advice on X3 pricing (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68392)

LC 08-07-2004 08:15 PM

looking for some advice on X3 pricing

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and to BMW.

I am very interested in buying the X3, either 2.5 or 3.0.
It seems to be impossible to find these cars on the dealer lots with low factory options.

The long story short is that I thought I could find a 2.5 with a sunroof, leather and privicy glass (couple of other essentails as well)- all for right under 34,000.
It seems that all of these cars are stocked with the premium package and the cold package which turns the 2.5 into a 38,500 MSRP vehicle and the 3.0 into a 43,500 MSRP vehicle.

Now, its August, BMW sales were down last month, the 05's are comming soon, BMWNA Finance has 1.9 for 60 months, AND many of the dealerships in the NYC area have at least 4-8 of these things in the color range I would like.

If we calculate invoice at 91.6% a 42,670 3.0 is 39,256. I can't imagine there are not unpublished incentives from BMWNA, and considering that invoice is all over the web, I can't imagine that 'invoice' is 'invoice'.

So the bottom line is, I want to get one of these cars, in the worst case scenario, for right at or below that invoice price.

Is it possible? Would a 30 to 40 percent downpayment help?

It seems the dealer wants to convince me that all of these options are neccesary in order to maintain re-sale value, kind of 'conform' or 'get lost' extortionist tactic, propably common as well. :eeps:

I don't mind having to fork out for options I'm not that interested in as long as I get a solid deal. And as always, he is only really interested in feeding me with his stock.

So if any one has any advice in this regard it would be much-much appreciated.

I hope to have the first hand knowlege to pass on to this forum soon!

thanks!

SARAFIL 08-08-2004 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC

If we calculate invoice at 91.6% a 42,670 3.0 is 39,256. I can't imagine there are not unpublished incentives from BMWNA, and considering that invoice is all over the web, I can't imagine that 'invoice' is 'invoice'.

Invoice IS invoice (actually, the invoice you see on the internet is LOWER because it does not include MACO, the advertising co-op fee that the dealer is charged to cover advertising in their area). Also, there are no incentives at this time on the X3.

Quote:

So the bottom line is, I want to get one of these cars, in the worst case scenario, for right at or below that invoice price.

Is it possible? Would a 30 to 40 percent downpayment help?
Good luck. Buying at invoice will take alot of work and a willing dealer. I can't see you getting anything below.

And, whether you put down nothing, 20%, 50% or pay in cash, it makes no difference to the dealer-- they get the money all the same. In fact, they prefer that you finance as much as possible, because it is in their favor.

LC 08-08-2004 10:36 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the response and advice.

I have read on some forums that people are negotiating very close to invoice on these X3's. I've had some offers which come within 750 of invoice. Would this be a grabber?

Surely I could get it down a bit more. The financing is really attractive.

The bottom line is that I really like this car, It has just enough room for a small familly, the drive (at least the 3.0) is commanding, the sun-moon roof is, in my opinion the critical edge that takes it above other cars in its class. Very classy ride all around.

So in the opinion of any X3 owner or other BMW owner, is this a driving experience worth the money and investment?

SARAFIL 08-08-2004 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC

So in the opinion of any X3 owner or other BMW owner, is this a driving experience worth the money and investment?

The X3 is a great vehicle. The area where it really stands above the competition is in performance and handling-- it really drives like a slightly taller BMW wagon. The steering is excellent, the power with the 3.0 is more than fine, and it handles very well.

LeucX3 08-08-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC
The bottom line is that I really like this car, It has just enough room for a small familly, the drive (at least the 3.0) is commanding, the sun-moon roof is, in my opinion the critical edge that takes it above other cars in its class. Very classy ride all around.

I've had mine for a fwe months now and it's been great. I came out of a 330Ci and i can drive the X3 as hard as i drove the 330Ci. It's definitely worth it will all the utility that you get out of it and it's a BMW.

dlflyboy 08-08-2004 09:25 PM

Lease?

Have you thought about leasing the X3? They have a pretty good lease offer right now.

cantona7 08-09-2004 12:48 PM

The dealer isn't really bluffing when he says that you'll be hurt on resale without the Premium package. I had originally configured and ordered a car with Sport but without Premium, but the deal got scotched when I found out that the dealer lied to me about a couple of things. Anyways, I went to a different dealer and tried to find a car that was close to my original config. We literally looked at every coupe on the East Coast and those enroute there. We found 11 with Sport, without Premium. So yeah, I think it's gonna be tough down the road when you're trading in or selling privately against lots of other cars that have the Premium package.