Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   BMW's Hide-a-Hitch Reciever rattle (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685970)

Cashemire 03-28-2013 10:15 PM

BMW's Hide-a-Hitch Reciever rattle

Does anybody here have the Hide-a-Hitch style trailer reciever like the one I got when I bought my new 2013 X3? I've had the car less than a year and just now got a chance to use it to pull a small ATV trailer. All the way home from the trailer store the thing rattled, squeeked, and banged noise through the car making it impossible to ignore. I clamped the reciever down to the ball-mount taking any movement out of those parts but it's still noisy. There seems to be a lot of loose free-play between BMW's removable reciever and BMW's frame mount bracket and that's where all the noise is coming from.

Have any of you had this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any helpful advice

jdog12345 03-28-2013 10:46 PM

Did you push the receiver into the vehicle mount until the lever switched from red to green? It won't sit snugly if the dial still shows red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

colson79 03-29-2013 10:22 AM

If you are talking about the offical BMW hitch I don't have that problem. It is very solid so perhaps you don't have it install correctly. Like the previous poster said the dial with change colors.

Cashemire 03-29-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdog12345 (Post 7479509)
Did you push the receiver into the vehicle mount until the lever switched from red to green? It won't sit snugly if the dial still shows red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

That's one of the problems, I can't get it to turn green though the latch seems to have snapped into place. Once the latch snaps into place, you can't remove the reciever without turning the lever to release it. Also, I can't get it to lock either.

Cashemire 03-29-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colson79 (Post 7480374)
If you are talking about the offical BMW hitch I don't have that problem. It is very solid so perhaps you don't have it install correctly. Like the previous poster said the dial with change colors.

Yes, it says it's a BMW hitch on the sticker, even calls out a part number #2157696.

colson79 03-29-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashemire (Post 7480448)
That's one of the problems, I can't get it to turn green though the latch seems to have snapped into place. Once the latch snaps into place, you can't remove the receiver without turning the lever to release it. Also, I can't get it to lock either.

That sounds strange, I haven't run into those issues but it sounds like it might not be locking in place completely. You might need to swing by the dealer have them check it out.

Cashemire 03-29-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colson79 (Post 7480605)
That sounds strange, I haven't run into those issues but it sounds like it might not be locking in place completely. You might need to swing by the dealer have them check it out.

I stopped by the dealer today and tried to show him what problems I was having. I removed the reciever and had a little trouble aligning it back up to put it back in. Once I got it aligned, I shoved it back in hard and it clicked into place and turned "green". I guess I was being too "BMW" with it and should have given it a big "Chevy" shove when putting it in. I guess the key is to be a little more forceful with it.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate the responses

Doug in NC 03-30-2013 07:08 PM

For anyone else reading this thread, it's dangerous to pull a trailer with this hitch showing red. It shows green when fully seated in the bracket. I also make sure that the key lock is turned to the lock position so that the release can't be turned all the way to removal. I don't want that hitch coming loose while I'm pulling a trailer!

BL1 06-18-2013 11:06 AM

Locked in...but can't get it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug in NC (Post 7483344)
For anyone else reading this thread, it's dangerous to pull a trailer with this hitch showing red. It shows green when fully seated in the bracket. I also make sure that the key lock is turned to the lock position so that the release can't be turned all the way to removal. I don't want that hitch coming loose while I'm pulling a trailer!

I am the new owner of 2014 Deep Sea Blue 28i with the BMW hitch. Love the car. After reading this thread I was able to figure out how to get the hitch indicator to turn green. My problem now is that I cannot get the receiver off.

Which way should the key be to be in the unlocked position ? Do people find you need to put strong force on the knob to get it to move to the un locked position ?

I can go back to the dealer, but I was hoping someone on here can help.

UPDATE: Never mind. I did not understand that you need to push the lever in before pushing down to unlock the assembly. Yes there is a picture on the assembly...I just did not understand it. It would have been nice to get instructions for the hitch. I do really like the hitch. Looks good. Not too obtrusive when not in use. Once you know how to do it...very reassuring that it is locked and ready to go.

Now I need to remove the back plate so that my bike rack will fit into to receiver. Why BMW had to make the tube short is a mystery to me.

mlmetzger 06-18-2013 12:24 PM

BMW's Hide-a-Hitch Reciever rattle

"Now I need to remove the back plate so that my bike rack will fit into to receiver."

You may find it easier to trim a fraction of an inch off the bike rack (as I did with mine) rather than trying to remove that back plate. Also, the back plate prevents you from running something too far into the receiver and hitting the bumper cover.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BL1 06-18-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlmetzger (Post 7659069)
"Now I need to remove the back plate so that my bike rack will fit into to receiver."

You may find it easier to trim a fraction of an inch off the bike rack (as I did with mine) rather than trying to remove that back plate. Also, the back plate prevents you from running something too far into the receiver and hitting the bumper cover.

Yea, I am having that debate now about which to modify. Sucks that I either need to cut a brand new bike rack or a brand new hitch.

aberrant 06-18-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL1 (Post 7659187)
Yea, I am having that debate now about which to modify. Sucks that I either need to cut a brand new bike rack or a brand new hitch.

I had the same problem (Yakima bike rack). Thules fit with no problem (and no surprise since the hitch assembly is OEMed by Thule). Consider returning your new bike rack if possible.

BL1 06-18-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 7659674)
I had the same problem (Yakima bike rack). Thules fit with no problem (and no surprise since the hitch assembly is OEMed by Thule). Consider returning your new bike rack if possible.

I have not bought it yet...I though I read that the thule hitch I wanted had the same issue. I am looking at the T2. I well have to do more investigating. Thanks