Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2002 bm2 x5 trasmmission failsafe program after the heats up (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686400)

408sanjosebmw 03-30-2013 10:18 PM

2002 bm2 x5 trasmmission failsafe program after the heats up

hi to every one ,i need litle help with my 2002 bmw x5 , the trasmission failsafe won't come on til the car warms up and the service egines goes "off" and right after my gauges die, temperature gauges goes all the way to red.. and i have a code p1747.?
my bmw runs fine when its cold, no problems even but service engine its "on"? any ideas, what the problem would be?

tim330i 03-31-2013 06:49 AM

I moved your thread over to the X5 forum.

Good luck,
Tim

upallnight 04-05-2013 07:20 PM

First if you have a Service Engine Soon light on get it scan and find out why you have it.

Could be the temperature sensor in the wiring harness inside the trans, or the thermostat that is located near the radiator and it has failed so the hot fluid from the trans is NOT being circulated and cooled.

Get an infrared thermometer and see what the temp readings are.

408sanjosebmw 04-05-2013 07:53 PM

yes, service light is "on " but only when the car is cold, once the car warms up the light goes off and trasmmission failsafe program comes on. i check my radiator was really cold from the bottom, and hoses on the top of the raditor were extremly hot.. so im thiking i have a bad thermostat or a clogged radiator . i'll replay back as soon i fix it
thanks so much..

upallnight 04-06-2013 06:13 AM

You can scan the car when it is cold and find out why you have the service light. Since you have an OBD II connection under the dash you can get a OBD II scanner, I use a bluetooth scanner and use an app call TORQUE on my phone and tablet to scan the X for trouble codes and to clear them. The app is free and a bluetooth scanner can be brought on eBay for as little as $20.00.

408sanjosebmw 04-27-2013 03:45 PM

I fix my problem... I took it to the shop for a diagnosis ($150 dllrs) and they said my ABS control module was the whole problem..i only had service engine light on and failsafe mode would come on once the service light went off ,eventually my gauges drop to zero and my temperature gauge would hit the red.. I had a p1747 code. one more thing to mention my radiator was hot on the top, and ice cold on the bottom, hose on top would get lot of pressure and lower would get nothing of pressure plus it would be cold all the time. but now everything works to perfection I have pressure on my hoses my radiator gets hot and no more dead gauges or false temperature reading..
t