Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Boston Acoustics SC50 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690429)

david831 04-17-2013 10:04 PM

Boston Acoustics SC50

Sup Mates,

any one with the Boston Acoustics SC50 ?how do they sound ? is there any other speaker brands that sound better then the boston acoustics? i dont need to know about the bsw speakers lol:rofl:

4given 04-17-2013 10:09 PM

I've always liked Focal for sound quality.

diggyd357 04-18-2013 05:49 AM

There are lots of other brands that sound better, but it all depends on your listening preferences and your budget. Boston Acoustics, Focal, Mb Quart (old German models), Rainbow, CVT, Morrell and plenty others all have speakers for your car that truly sound AMAZING. However, it's like anything else.... they all have entry level and top of the line models ranging in price from $100 to $1200. My personal preference is the old school German Mb Quarts, but I've heard that the Rainbows and Morrell are superior. I would venture to say that any mid to upper level model of any of those brands listed would be satisfactory to almost any audiophile. Again, it really comes down to what you're looking to spend. Good luck !

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

JimLev 04-18-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david831 (Post 7526211)
Sup Mates,

any one with the Boston Acoustics SC50 ?how do they sound ? is there any other speaker brands that sound better then the boston acoustics? i dont need to know about the bsw speakers lol:rofl:

I have the SC50's, put them in about a year ago, they sound great, even with the OEM non DSP amp. Yes there are better speakers, but at a discounted price of $128 a pair with free shipping it would be hard to beat them.

BadBrad 04-18-2013 08:25 AM

I installed 2 sets along with a pair of Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow mount subs onto the rear shelf area(similar to how the M-Audio subs are mounted). They are all connected to the stock DSP amp. I left the factory mids in place as well. Well worth the $450 I spent. I know you can buy better speakers components to install but IMO it will be a marginal improvement over the SC50s.

the540wgn 04-18-2013 10:50 AM

Only heard good things about the SC50s, but I believe they have been discontinued.

DennisCooper! 04-18-2013 05:23 PM

Hi,
Yes, Boston Acoustics as a company pulled out from the Car Audio market some time back, so any products you see out there in any retail outlets are 'old' new stock. Once gone, they'll not be available and only way to get them would be second hand/used. There's plenty of other similar high quality brands of speakers out there which can and do sound just as good. The issue is that the Boston Acoustics were known to work 'well' with the oem audio setup/amplifier much like the BSW are. Other aftermarket speakers out there aren't as 'compatible' so you're really limited to BSW for new equipment if you *must* stick with the oem audio setup/modules/head unit, unless you can find some Boston Acoustics. There's probably one or two other speaker models from other brands which 'might' work well with oem audio, so maybe in various BMW forums, other's have posted up what they are/may be.

Cheers, Dennis!

david831 04-18-2013 08:49 PM

Great info matez!! thankz