Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Tech Package (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693309)

aztec31 04-30-2013 11:14 PM

Tech Package

If the standalone Navigation is ordered vs. the tech package other than the HUD what else would I miss out of? I don't care for the HUD and don't feel like paying extra for it.

OBS3SSION 05-01-2013 06:08 AM

As best as I can tell, the only ($1000) difference is the HUD. When you select navigation alone, it lists all the other tech package items to be added as well at no additional cost. I'm a tech-gadget-freak and love the idea of the HUD, but even I have a hard time justifying the $1000 cost delta for that one feature.

sfiermon 05-01-2013 06:23 AM

Tech Package

You also don't get the blackout instrument cluster

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Durkis 05-01-2013 07:01 AM

I too thought the HUD wasnt really worth it. But now that we have it, I will never not get it in a future car. Its so much safer keeping your eyes on the road for navigational purposes.

Plus you get the fancier blackout digital gauge cluster ! A thumbs up on that one as well.

Anfänger 05-01-2013 06:49 PM

wearing glasses with HUD

I would be interested to hear from any older drivers who need eye correction for presbyopia (reading glasses, etc.) and have HUD in their X3. Do you find the HUD text is easier to read than the dashboard display? It seems like it should be, given that the focal point is further from the eyes.

Also, what about the visibility of the HUD image if you are wearing sunglasses—particularly with polarizing lenses?

Durkis 05-01-2013 07:16 PM

Polarized lenses makes the immage very dark. I can still see it, but it almost invisible. One thing that stinks !

bsavage 05-01-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durkis (Post 7557482)
Polarized lenses makes the immage very dark. I can still see it, but it almost invisible. One thing that stinks !

With my Maui Jim polarized glasses I can still see it ok. Not as bright as it is without the glasses, but I can still see it.

As others have said, this is the first time I have had HUD and would never buy another car without it. It is simply fantastic and much safer never having to take my eyes off of the road. Plus the dash that comes with it is :smokin:

Durkis 05-01-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsavage (Post 7557624)
With my Maui Jim polarized glasses I can still see it ok. Not as bright as it is without the glasses, but I can still see it.

As others have said, this is the first time I have had HUD and would never buy another car without it. It is simply fantastic and much safer never having to take my eyes off of the road. Plus the dash that comes with it is :smokin:

I have prescription sunglasses that might have something to do with it ??

aztec31 05-01-2013 10:33 PM

Does any one have a picture of the dash that comes with it? Also with HUD is a special windshield required (thinking ahead in case its cracked on the road)?

Liverman 05-02-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aztec31 (Post 7557858)
Does any one have a picture of the dash that comes with it? Also with HUD is a special windshield required (thinking ahead in case its cracked on the road)?

pharding posted pics of his here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=318

It does require a special windshield. There is a special coating and I think the specs on the shape are more tightly controlled.

Polarized lenses may or may not interfere with the display depending on the direction of polarization on the lens. My sunglasses obliterate the LED readout on the climate controls, but if I tilt my head on the side, they are perfectly readable. I would expect a similar issue with the HUD readout. Either get non-polarized glasses or get them with a different polarization (which could impact their effectiveness on sunlight reflected off bright surfaces).

colson79 05-02-2013 11:00 AM

I think the HUD is pretty cool but it's not worth a $1000 bucks to me. I have driven a few cars with the HUD including the X3 and I don't really think it makes driving any safer. The idea that you don't have take your eyes off the road because of the HUD didn't seam to matter when I was testing it. When I really wanted the focus on what the HUD was displaying my focus changed to the HUD and the road and everything behind the HUD just kind of disappeared anyway. Not much different than glancing down at the dash to me. But it does look cool.

The X Men 05-02-2013 11:31 AM

The HUD is a nice toy, but a must have? Not even close. I had a loaner car for about a week with HUD, after a day or two, I got boring with it and turn it off. It was more of a distraction than helpful for me.

dilbagh 05-02-2013 06:06 PM

I thought of HUD as a toy too when I ordered it. But I love it now. Use it as often as I can. Plus the console that comes with the HUD is way nicer than without. IMO it is a great upgrade even if you just have your speed displayed on it because it keeps you under speed check.

ironfan 05-02-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilbagh (Post 7559792)
I thought of HUD as a toy too when I ordered it. But I love it now. Use it as often as I can. Plus the console that comes with the HUD is way nicer than without. IMO it is a great upgrade even if you just have your speed displayed on it because it keeps you under speed check.

Agree completely!

IRBD 05-02-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironfan (Post 7559878)
Agree completely!

+1 (and I don't have to use my reading glasses to read my speed!)

aztec31 05-02-2013 11:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I tested an X3 with it and found it distracting. The console does look cool. Having to pay extra for a special windshield when it gets chipped or cracked not cool.

pharding 05-03-2013 03:46 AM

I have driven BMW's with HUD for 9 years and I like it a lot and find using it safer because it puts all critical information in one spot. I use Serengetti driving sunglasses. They work great with HUD and they work great for driving. I use reading glasses and I find the HUD image on the windshield quite sharp because of its distance from your eyes. HUD also gets you a larger high resolution screen. I haven't checked but I understood the true cost difference to be $750 although I could be wrong on that one.

The X Men 05-03-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharding (Post 7560446)
HUD also gets you a larger high resolution screen.

Are you talking about the navi screen? I thought the navi option is what gets you the larger high res screen and not the HUD.