Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Top View Camera Added by Dealer by Mistake (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693502)

Bassesq 05-01-2013 08:21 PM

Top View Camera Added by Dealer by Mistake

Originally my order was going to be for a 28i which among other options was to have PDC and Rear View Cam. I didn't want the Driver Assist Package with top view cam. In discussing 28i vs 35i we said price diff between 28i and 35i was $2,500. The next day I called and we changed the order to a 35i yet when the pricing was being worked up the car was coming up about $2,700- $2,800 more for car with same options (obviously my 35i would include some standard stuff that was extra on 28i) and I could not figure out why. We did this by phone and he sent me a list of the options being ordered on the car and it was only with RVC and PDC.

On the tracking site I now see the car shows the Driver Assistance Package with top view cam. So now I know why the price diff.

Question, this is my 4th car with the sales guy and I think he gave me a good deal at about $500 over invoice so I am hesitant to say anything, but I know I could. I don't want to mess up a nice relationship. Is the top view cam useful as I didn't think I needed it or wanted it. If you guys think it is then I will just keep quiet. If it is just fluff then I suppose I could save $200.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

haodang 05-01-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassesq (Post 7557494)
Originally my order was going to be for a 28i which among other options was to have PDC and Rear View Cam. I didn't want the Driver Assist Package with top view cam. In discussing 28i vs 35i we said price diff between 28i and 35i was $2,500. The next day I called and we changed the order to a 35i yet when the pricing was being worked up the car was coming up about $2,700- $2,800 more for car with same options (obviously my 35i would include some standard stuff that was extra on 28i) and I could not figure out why. We did this by phone and he sent me a list of the options being ordered on the car and it was only with RVC and PDC.

On the tracking site I now see the car shows the Driver Assistance Package with top view cam. So now I know why the price diff.

Question, this is my 4th car with the sales guy and I think he gave me a good deal at about $500 over invoice so I am hesitant to say anything, but I know I could. I don't want to mess up a nice relationship. Is the top view cam useful as I didn't think I needed it or wanted it. If you guys think it is then I will just keep quiet. If it is just fluff then I suppose I could save $200.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

How did you find it out from the tracking website? I ordered driver assistance package without topview camera but the website still lists it. I think it is just that the website technicians did not code the webpage correctly and simply listed out all the available options under driver assistance package.

In my case, I can see both "Rear-view camera" and "Rear View Camera with Top View" are listed while they are actually mutually exclusive.

ironfan 05-01-2013 08:40 PM

Personally I love the top view camera and use it everyday. Definitely worth $200 in my mind.

pharding 05-01-2013 08:50 PM

TopView is well worth $200 and I use it every day. It is great for parking and avoiding nasty curb rash.The sales guy did you a huge favor.

bsavage 05-01-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharding (Post 7557570)
TopView is well worth $200 and I use it every day. It is great for parking and avoiding nasty curb rash.The sales guy did you a huge favor.

I agree, it is well worth it. Using it in combination with the rear view camera you can park your car anywhere without hitting anything.

Bassesq 05-01-2013 09:17 PM

Thank you for your recommendations. I have RVC and PDC on my 2013 535xi so I didn't think I (my wife) would need more than that, so ultimately will see if the car has it on delivery.

rao112 05-02-2013 05:31 AM

I just picked up my car yesterday and mine listed top view camera on the tracking site too. But it will not be in your car.. I think it is something that shows up by default but will not be in the car unless you pay for it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

leighton 05-02-2013 09:04 AM

As a NYC driver constantly dealing with parking in marked space lots and curb spaces, top view is the single most important option. DHP is the second most important for its value in coping with bad road surfaces and speed bumps.

dilbagh 05-02-2013 09:35 AM

Top view is a must have when it comes to curbside parking or parking in narrow marked lanes. Very happy with it and use it every day.

raleedy 05-02-2013 10:14 AM

In other words, you need it and you're not getting it.

colson79 05-02-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

+1, topview is one of my favorite features.

The X Men 05-02-2013 12:33 PM

If you have average parking skill or better, you do not need top view. We had our car for almost 2 month and actually used the top view once and found it not too helpful.

Coder 05-02-2013 12:34 PM

Order Status

I wouldn't get too excited about what the web site shows. Lots of experience by myself and others indicates that it is frequently inaccurate. The order submitted by your dealer is a much more reliable source than the web site.

sfiermon 05-02-2013 12:34 PM

Yeah. I had the top view showing as well. The car per my order didn't com with it.

colson79 05-02-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7558945)
If you have average parking skill or better, you do not need top view. We had our car for almost 2 month and actually used the top view once and found it not too helpful.

You don't need a BMW, cruise control, heated seats, sunroof, radio, navigation, etc..., either but for some people its still nice to have and doesn't say anything about their ability to park their vehicle.

The X Men 05-02-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colson79 (Post 7559072)
You don't need a BMW, cruise control, heated seats, sunroof, radio, navigation, etc..., either but for some people its still nice to have and doesn't say anything about their ability to park their vehicle.

All I am saying is that out of the three parking tools offered by BMW, rear view camera, parking sensor and top view camera, the top view is the least useful. You are correct that I do not need heated seats, sunroof, radio, navigation, etc, but I do use those options very often, which makes them worth the money. If you need the top view camera to park a car, it is a very useful tool. Too bad BMW doesnt offer a self park option.

herbw440 05-02-2013 02:54 PM

Keep the camera. It is worth it the money! I enjoy this feature everyday!!

Teemo Panda 05-02-2013 05:59 PM

Trust me, The top view camera is very useful especially in parallel parking saving alot of bumps and dents to you and other cars, helps navigate away from getting any crub rashes to your rims.

dbull2 05-02-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

I agree. I love it.

Bassesq 05-02-2013 06:27 PM

At this point I will just have to see how the car comes in. But, if as most believe, the dealer's order paperwork controls and not what is listed on the website it will not be on the car.

I will just have to hope that the Mrs. avoids curb rash!

Bassesq 05-02-2013 06:33 PM

Hey wait a minute...below is an excerpt from what the CA sent me, so now I am all confused. the order shows ZDA but makes no mention of top view. The BMW tracking page includes top view. I am sure one of you knows the answer.

ZDA Driver Assistance Package 950.00

3AG Rear-view camera N/C

508 Park Distance Control N/C

haodang 05-02-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassesq (Post 7559729)
Hey wait a minute...below is an excerpt from what the CA sent me, so now I am all confused. the order shows ZDA but makes no mention of top view. The BMW tracking page includes top view. I am sure one of you knows the answer.

ZDA Driver Assistance Package 950.00

3AG Rear-view camera N/C

508 Park Distance Control N/C

I think it does not contain the top-view option. It is an extra $350 on the top of the $950. If you added it, you should not have "3AG Rear-view camera N/C".

As it shows, you only ordered rear-view camera indicated by "3AG Rear-view camera N/C"

aberrant 05-02-2013 09:57 PM

Top-view is option 3AH.

lalombard 05-03-2013 08:11 AM

My X3 is in production now too and even thought I didn't order the top view camera (just the rear one) it is listed on there - so I think it is just a mistake on the website.

gfeiner 05-03-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamigawa120 (Post 7559665)
Trust me, The top view camera is very useful especially in parallel parking saving alot of bumps and dents to you and other cars, helps navigate away from getting any crub rashes to your rims.

I agree. It has saved me several times from curb rash.