Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Need help!!! water in the trunk >< (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693908)

edbiology 05-03-2013 03:46 PM

Need help!!! water in the trunk ><

A gallon water bottle just leaked all its water into the trunk. Water retains in the battery space. How do I drain the water without getting shock? Thanks for any advice!!!

edbiology 05-03-2013 05:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well i used towels to get the most of water, but there are some places I couldn't reach. With all these electric wires, do you guys think any damage has been made?

Ok now I think BMW putting the battery under the trunk for 50/50 weight distribution isn't really a great move. :thumbdwn:

edbiology 05-03-2013 05:50 PM

automatic leftgate not working now.... any thought?

Liverman 05-03-2013 06:02 PM

Hmmm..I was about to say it would be hard to harm things. You would need to have the entire battery submerged underwater to cause a problem. Get some paper towels and try to absorb some additional water and leave it open overnight - maybe in the sun for a day and the remaining water should evaporate.

Now about the liftgate - you mean the rear hatch, right? Very odd that it should have suffered harm from this ...but perhaps some wiring or electronics were harmed. Best thing is not to try to operate the hatch electronically until everything has dried out completely. Sometimes electronic components start working after a bath if you allow them to dry completely.

Have you checked the fuses? I think there is a block behind either the right or left access panel in the cargo area - search for fuse on this forum. It may be just the fuse is blown. If it is not that, then my thought is that some electronics associatedw ith the hatch were compromised.

Oh...last thing - go get a cargo mat :) Mine in my E83 X3 contained spills from both solid (dog kibble) and liquid (sodas, water, etc.) quite nicely.

scottjays 05-03-2013 08:29 PM

:jawdrop:

Quote:

Originally Posted by edbiology (Post 7561886)
A gallon water bottle just leaked all its water into the trunk. Water retains in the battery space. How do I drain the water without getting shock? Thanks for any advice!!!

edbiology 05-03-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverman (Post 7562168)
Hmmm..I was about to say it would be hard to harm things. You would need to have the entire battery submerged underwater to cause a problem. Get some paper towels and try to absorb some additional water and leave it open overnight - maybe in the sun for a day and the remaining water should evaporate.

Now about the liftgate - you mean the rear hatch, right? Very odd that it should have suffered harm from this ...but perhaps some wiring or electronics were harmed. Best thing is not to try to operate the hatch electronically until everything has dried out completely. Sometimes electronic components start working after a bath if you allow them to dry completely.

Have you checked the fuses? I think there is a block behind either the right or left access panel in the cargo area - search for fuse on this forum. It may be just the fuse is blown. If it is not that, then my thought is that some electronics associatedw ith the hatch were compromised.

Oh...last thing - go get a cargo mat :) Mine in my E83 X3 contained spills from both solid (dog kibble) and liquid (sodas, water, etc.) quite nicely.

I just placed an order for the cargo mat, wish I have done it earlier, now I have to learn the hard way.

Now the trunk gate makes some mechanical noise when I push any of the open/close buttons, but it won't move itself. Hopefully everything will dry and back to functional over the weekend.

The X Men 05-04-2013 09:07 AM

Might be too late now, but I would get a shop vac with a small nozzle in there and suck up the water. Which mat did you end up buying? I notice that the oem mat doesn't have a lip on it and weather tech mat cost an arm and a leg.

edbiology 05-04-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7563152)
Might be too late now, but I would get a shop vac with a small nozzle in there and suck up the water. Which mat did you end up buying? I notice that the oem mat doesn't have a lip on it and weather tech mat cost an arm and a leg.

I ordered an aftermarket Lloyd brand trunk carpet liner from autoanything.com, $86.69 USD including tax and free shipping.

edbiology 05-04-2013 02:00 PM

If the liftgate is still not functioning after everything is dry, will it be covered by the warranty? Or I will have to pay for the repair because it was my fault?

gfeiner 05-04-2013 02:51 PM

Need help!!! water in the trunk &gt;&lt;

If you admit it was your fault, then no BMW will not cover it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

slambmw 05-05-2013 10:09 AM

Need help!!! water in the trunk &gt;&lt;

Don't mention the water leak. I would recommend having the vehicle inspected at the Dealer attempting to have the problem covered under warranty. Unless the entire battery and wires are submerged, I can't see why you would have this problem.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Ml3456 05-06-2013 05:47 AM

I bought the OEM mat from Tisher with the bumper protector and spill box. It works and fits very well.