Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Car went dead all of sudden while driving - 2006 bmw X5 3.0 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694051)

bmmer 05-04-2013 11:06 AM

Car went dead all of sudden while driving - 2006 bmw X5 3.0

A quick history of the problem started out with engine could not star about 4 weeks ago:

2006 bmw X5 3.0 only 84K original owned. Engine could not crank on first 2-3 times, waited 2 - 3 minutes it'd crank. happened several times a week. Battery replaced less than a year. Took to local Curry shop, they found weak alternator & recommended to replace. Did that 3 weeks ago, the car started fine for a couple of weeks with a round trip ~ 500 miles without any issue. However, the problem re-occurs more often that the car could not start in cold boot ( 40F - 50F ).

Last night went to see movie, the X5 was parked for 4 hours in the 40F, car would not start, waited for couple of minutes it cranked. While driving home in few minutes later engine went dead in the middle of the road with traffic. Quick turn into less traffic road, parked & started the engine & drove home.

Dropped the X5 off at the local Curry shop for diagnostic today. They said it's known that BMW tends to happen with engine cut off while driving ... it's kinda nerve wreck to hear that. So far they could not find any thing including test driving 25 miles.

Any one experienced the same problem? Appreciate any advise & idea. The forum had a couple of similar problems with different BMW models but no solution so far.

Prometheus 05-06-2013 07:52 AM

Not heard of it and I have the same car as yours?

Could be these:

Fuel pump
Ignition diode or general ignition fault
Timing belt, which may have slackened and is allowing camshaft movement to lose synchronisation with the crankshaft. This will cause the car to stop.

BMW recommends replacing the timing belt every 80000km.

Explore these functions as the cause.

That mechanic you took your car to should have done a thorough investigation of the fault? He should have checked the timing belt?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

745iguy 05-06-2013 08:16 AM

i thought our 06 3.0 has a timing chain? :dunno:

i agree with plausibility on what prometheus suggests, though. i would also like to add fuel filter and pressure regulator, alternator, loose/or for some reason corroded battery connections are all reasons a car can cut out while driving or not start.

QSilver7 05-06-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prometheus (Post 7566466)
Timing belt, which may have slackened and is allowing camshaft movement to lose synchronisation with the crankshaft. This will cause the car to stop.

BMW recommends replacing the timing belt every 80000km.

... He should have checked the timing belt?

Thankfully...BMW has NOT used a timing belt in an automobile since they ended production of the M20 engine...which would be the last of the e30 3 series in the early 90s: 19861993 E30 325i, 325iS, 325iC and 325iX :)

Prometheus 05-06-2013 06:14 PM

Thanks guys for highlighting the timing chain as opposed to timing belt? My mechanic calls it a timing belt, but I guess he was speaking in past tense?

bmmer 05-10-2013 04:05 PM

Thank everyone for all the valuable inputs. You maybe correct Prometheus about the belt, the Indy shop did run the diagnotics to find crack on alternator drive belt and looseness in pulley. They recommended to replace these tensioners. Also found PCV SYSTEM GETTING WEAK / CLOGGED. RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT OF PCV HOSES/PIPES. Not sure if the PCV is related to the dead engine problem. Although the car has bee driving fine since the incident, but we will take it to a second mechanic Monday next week for a general inspection. Will update have a good weekend to all.

E36 Phantom 05-10-2013 04:48 PM

Re: Car went dead all of sudden while driving - 2006 bmw X5 3.0

The belt that you can see is your SERPENTINE BELT to run the accessories. Very different from a timing belt....

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

Prometheus 05-11-2013 10:36 PM

Yeah, the timing belt or chain refers to the synchronisation of cam and crankshaft, a much bigger function than the serpentine belt.

The PCV system is important in cars as it provides the engine with a waste gate to remove unwanted gases and fuel mixed content from the engine oil. These gases pass through the cylinder rings during combustion and into the crank housing where the oil is contained. It has been used on engines for a long time now, and modern cars reuse the gases and petrol by returning them to the combustion process. However, this may be another problem on your car that requires repair. I don't think the PCV would cause your car to stop but a loose timing chain would.

Glad you're getting it checked out. The fact that your car is driving ok is a good sign, but don't drive your car for too long if it has warning lights. Get it sorted ASAP to prevent further problems and you should be back on the road safely and having fun in your x5, which in my opinion, is one of the best cars on the road. Any great car deserves tons of tlc!

Scott ZHP 05-13-2013 01:23 PM

After reading your symptoms, you have some sort of electrical issue.

The M54 has multiple timing chains, your issue is very likely not timing related. Chains last a loooong time.
I would suspect a bad battery (even though you said it was recently replaced).

A bad battery will also kill an alternator, as it tends to try and work harder to charge the battery.