Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What are "angel eyes" (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69950)

nascar 08-23-2004 03:43 PM

What are "angel eyes"
 
Forgive my ignorance. I have recently taken delivery of an X5 3.0d sport (waited 48 weeks from the time the order was placed). I have the panoramic sunroof, satnav, bluetooth phone preparation (which is downright brilliant!) and some other options. What I did not install was xenon lights as I do very little night driving.

Are angel eyes just slang for xenon lamps or does this mean something else.

Brilliant motor - quite a step-up from my Toyota RAV-4.

sfca-325i 08-23-2004 03:57 PM

angel eyes aka demon eyes

nascar 08-23-2004 04:04 PM

So are angel eyes = xenon lamps?

I am still left non the wiser.

Emission 08-23-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascar
So are angel eyes = xenon lamps?

I am still left non the wiser.

Welcome to the Fest!

Angel Eyes refers to the illuminated ring around the lens - not the lightbulb lens itself. You can have Angel Eyes with our without Xenon lights.

I hope that helps.

Emission 08-23-2004 04:09 PM

Oh, the illuminated "Angel Eyes" ring is not functional. It just looks cool. :D

nascar 08-23-2004 04:15 PM

Thanks - thats all I needed to know. Much appreciated.

ProcyonB 08-23-2004 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission
Oh, the illuminated "Angel Eyes" ring is not functional. It just looks cool. :D

How do you get them? Special install, special order, or do they come with something (like Xenon)? I saw a X5 with them and it did look very cool.

dkl 08-23-2004 08:52 PM

All 2004 X5 will have Angel Eyes as standard. PITA to retrofit previous model years.

ProcyonB 08-23-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkl
All 2004 X5 will have Angel Eyes as standard. PITA to retrofit previous model years.

Any chance that the X3 can get them?

Coffeeman 08-24-2004 07:23 AM

Safety feature, also
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission
Oh, the illuminated "Angel Eyes" ring is not functional. It just looks cool. :D

Actually, they ARE functional. They allow oncoming drivers to more accurately judge their distance from you, which is kind of handy when an oncoming vehicle plans on making a lleft turn in front of you. Some new Volvos are adopting this safety feature. They also do look cool.

Emission 08-24-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeeman
Actually, they ARE functional. They allow oncoming drivers to more accurately judge their distance from you, which is kind of handy when an oncoming vehicle plans on making a lleft turn in front of you. Some new Volvos are adopting this safety feature. They also do look cool.


That's a stretch. :eeps:

... But it sounds good for marketing purposes, I guess. :thumbup:

dkl 08-24-2004 10:33 PM

I agree with Emission that the Angel Eyes doesn't served anything more than the "cool" factor as they are not very bright. I doubt anyone can see you if the Angel Eyes are all that you have on. The turn signal is lit much brighter and people will see that way before they see those Angel Eyes.

ProcyonB 08-25-2004 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkl
All 2004 X5 will have Angel Eyes as standard. PITA to retrofit previous model years.

I've been checking -- still can't tell if the X3 can be fitted with them. :confused:

ProcyonB 08-26-2004 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProcyonB
I've been checking -- still can't tell if the X3 can be fitted with them. :confused:

Finally heard back, they come standard with Xenon. :thumbup:

Coffeeman 08-31-2004 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission
That's a stretch. :eeps:

... But it sounds good for marketing purposes, I guess. :thumbup:


Not a "stretch" at all. Check out Volvo's U.S. site, and look at the new S40. Under "visibility" they explain why it is easier to judge distance with angel eyes, or "halos"

Not_Applicable 08-31-2004 03:01 PM

I think they call them halogen lights or something. Just turn the knob one click clockwise. Turn them all the way and the lights are on to the fullest. I'm surprised you don't have the Xenon headlights. I thought they were standard on the X3. Anyways since you don't do much night driving I don't think it matters that much.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms