Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   93 unleaded all the time ? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703649)

jayasanala 06-18-2013 07:47 AM

93 unleaded all the time ?

Do I have to fill unleaded 93 gas in my 2012 X3 all the time or I can also fill 91 unleaded?

WHITEX 06-18-2013 07:54 AM

I use whatever is suggested on the inside of the fuel door.

The X Men 06-18-2013 07:56 AM

91 octane is what BMW recommands, you can use 93 if you cannot find 91.

edbiology 06-18-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayasanala (Post 7658542)
Do I have to fill unleaded 93 gas in my 2012 X3 all the time or I can also fill 91 unleaded?

We only have 91 in california.

lalvevo 06-18-2013 11:18 PM

this confuses me. the fuel door says 89 and the user's manual on my idrive says 91. so what do i put in? i have a 2014 35i

WHITEX 06-19-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalvevo (Post 7660198)
this confuses me. the fuel door says 89 and the user's manual on my idrive says 91. so what do i put in? i have a 2014 35i

That is strange/confusing.

The X Men 06-19-2013 05:26 AM

89 is the minimum, 91 is recommanded.

MasterYoda 06-19-2013 05:29 AM

93 unleaded all the time ?

I've had 4 BMWs and they have all "required" 91 or better. Of course I usually can't find 91 octane so 93 ends up in the tank

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Jimsan 06-19-2013 07:13 AM

From my owners manual for minimum fuel grade--

Minimum fuel grade BMW recommends AKI 89. Minimum fuel grade Do not use any gasoline below the minimum fuel grade as this may impair engine performance. If you use gasoline with this minimum AKI Rating, the engine may produce knocking sounds when starting at high outside temperatures. This has no effect on the engine life. Minimum fuel grade The use of poor-quality fuels may result in harmful engine deposits or damage. Additionally, problems relating to drivability, starting and stalling, especially under certain environmental conditions such as high ambient temperature and high altitude, may occur. If drivability problems are encountered, we recommend switching to a high quality gasoline brand and a higher octane grade - AKI number - for a few tank fills. To avoid harmful engine deposits, it is highly recommended to purchase gasoline from BP or Top Tier retailers. Failure to comply with these recommendations may result in the need for unscheduled maintenance.

I have been using 89 and no problems so far. Wouldn't the computer adjust for the octane used? BMW recommends BP but I have always used Shell.

jayasanala 06-19-2013 07:14 AM

ya, 91 wont be at most of the gas stations except some, i usually go to Sams and fill the gas and they have only 87 and 93 so i end up filling 93.

so i can fill 91 ,that's good to know.

KrisNL 06-19-2013 07:30 AM

95 all the way

UncleJ 06-19-2013 07:48 AM

There is, of course, no "leaded" sold anymore here -- its all unleaded. In CA the omnipotent and unaccountable CARB has pretty well set 91 as our standard "premium" octane level. I am informed though that there are some stations where higher octanes can be obtained. In any case the 91 is the highest you will see here in any major station.:angel:

Want the Thrill 06-19-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalvevo (Post 7660198)

My 2011 35i fuel door says a minimum of 91. :confused: I always put 93 in it since my choices are 89, 91 & 93.

The X Men 06-19-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want the Thrill (Post 7661247)
My 2011 35i fuel door says a minimum of 91. :confused: I always put 93 in it since my choices are 89, 91 & 93.

BMW change the minimum octane requirement to 89 in 2012.

edbiology 06-19-2013 04:27 PM

Am I the only one who put 87 in the loaner car?

02420X3 06-19-2013 05:42 PM

No, I don't put 87 in the loaner. I treat the loaner like I treat my own - whenever I have the chance, I drive it like I stole it. And I fill the tank with 93 (which is most common around here) or 91 before I return it.

Bmwlvr60 06-24-2013 08:56 AM

Shell 93

Best performance and gas mileage for me.

Jimsan 06-24-2013 01:25 PM

My door says 89 octane minimum for my 2014. So if I go to a higher octane will I notice a markedly higher performance? How do I notice it?

edbiology 06-24-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimsan (Post 7670304)
My door says 89 octane minimum for my 2014. So if I go to a higher octane will I notice a markedly higher performance? How do I notice it?

you will not notice anything other than placebo effect.

The X Men 06-24-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimsan (Post 7670304)

Notice a markedly higher performance? No. Going from 89 to 91 octane, you might gain 1 or 2 HP, you will not feel it.

Bmwlvr60 06-24-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsan

you will not notice anything other than placebo effect.

+1

You may notice some extra performance going from 89 to 93. You should get better gas mileage too.

DslDwg 06-25-2013 06:39 AM

These ratings are the gasolines ability to resist detonating. Which basically means and uncontrolled explosion of the gasoline in the combustion chamber. If the knock is audible it can be and probably is causing internal engine damage.

The knock sensors that are installed on modern vehicles are going to "listen" for detonation. Which happens at a level way more sensitive than what a human could hear especially over the noise of a running engine. When they "hear" detonation they are going to retard the timing on the engine until the detonation goes away. Typically the ECU will try to advance the timing back to the normal level but if the detonation persists it will not. Retarding the timing does reduce the total available power output of the engine.

The higher the octane rating the more resistant the fuel is to detonation.

The current offering from BMW with the exception of a couple of holdovers are all turbocharged which is going to mean that the engines are much more prone to detonation and as such should be run on the highest octane readily available.

As stated 89 should be a minimum and I wouldn't use it regularly but only as a last ditch. Some states like California use 91 as their highest octane while most use 93. Use the highest readily available. Is my opinion.

Are you going to destroy your engine running 89 octane? Probably not. But depending on other factors such as ambiant temperature and load on the engine you may have enough detonation that the engine is drastically retarding the timing to protect itself and as such you are losing significant engine power in the process.

This is really not just a money grab. There is science and engineering behind this stuff. As the manufacturers continue to build higher horsepower engines while trying to maintain emissions and get higher efficiencies (read mpg) from their engines this will become more and more common. Remember the days of leaded fuel. Probably some of you don't. E85 or something like it may be the next answer, but until then do yourself a favor and use the highest octane fuel available in your new BMW.

Jimsan 06-25-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DslDwg (Post 7671607)
These ratings are the gasolines ability to resist detonating. Which basically means and uncontrolled explosion of the gasoline in the combustion chamber. If the knock is audible it can be and probably is causing internal engine damage.

The knock sensors that are installed on modern vehicles are going to "listen" for detonation. Which happens at a level way more sensitive than what a human could hear especially over the noise of a running engine. When they "hear" detonation they are going to retard the timing on the engine until the detonation goes away. Typically the ECU will try to advance the timing back to the normal level but if the detonation persists it will not. Retarding the timing does reduce the total available power output of the engine.

The higher the octane rating the more resistant the fuel is to detonation.

The current offering from BMW with the exception of a couple of holdovers are all turbocharged which is going to mean that the engines are much more prone to detonation and as such should be run on the highest octane readily available.

As stated 89 should be a minimum and I wouldn't use it regularly but only as a last ditch. Some states like California use 91 as their highest octane while most use 93. Use the highest readily available. Is my opinion.

Are you going to destroy your engine running 89 octane? Probably not. But depending on other factors such as ambiant temperature and load on the engine you may have enough detonation that the engine is drastically retarding the timing to protect itself and as such you are losing significant engine power in the process.

This is really not just a money grab. There is science and engineering behind this stuff. As the manufacturers continue to build higher horsepower engines while trying to maintain emissions and get higher efficiencies (read mpg) from their engines this will become more and more common. Remember the days of leaded fuel. Probably some of you don't. E85 or something like it may be the next answer, but until then do yourself a favor and use the highest octane fuel available in your new BMW.

Much thanks! I will take your advice. And you are right, it's not about saving money on gasoline.

02420X3 06-25-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimsan (Post 7672591)
Much thanks! I will take your advice. And you are right, it's not about saving money on gasoline.

Actually, sometimes it is, LOL. The mileage that I get on my '11 35i is much better than the vehicle that I last drove. So much so that while I'm filling my X3 with 93 octane, I'm spending less on fuel than when I was filling my previous vehicle with 87 octane.

SpaceManGray 06-26-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisNL (Post 7660593)
95 all the way

I believe North American fuel ratings are different than European. I've never seen 95 in the US or Canada.