Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Xenon Headlight Upgrade options? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710437)

jogoomah 07-22-2013 08:15 AM

Xenon Headlight Upgrade options?

Hello,

I just purchased a new 2014 X3, however didn't have the option for the xenon headlights because I purchased a stock car at the dealership.
I've asked around already with no luck, but would anyone know of any good aftermarket/OEM upgrades available from halogen to Xenon headlights for the new X3?

thanks!

tcw9999 07-22-2013 11:33 AM

what is your zip code??

jogoomah 07-22-2013 11:37 AM

TCW9999, I'm in Michigan, 48375... Any recommendations of a good quality xenon upgrade for reasonable price? Thanks!

jasieka 07-24-2013 02:39 PM

Found any solution?

Hey there jogoomah, Im in the same situation as you. Did you find a solution for this?
Thanks!

jd_30 07-25-2013 07:13 AM

I'd be really careful with aftermarket HID/Xenon kits.. they can be very unreliable. I've had horrible experiences with ballasts and bulbs needing replacement after less than a year.

How much would it cost to get a replacement from the dealer? or an online parts distributor like bavauto?

Ken@BavAuto 07-26-2013 08:47 AM

The new X3 with halogens uses H7 bulbs. And we do carry a conversion kit for an H7 bulb setup that we sell for $99.95. However we haven't tried it an F25 yet so I can't say for certain if it would be a plug and play deal in the stock headlight. Often you need to modify the back covers of the lights to accept these types of kits.

We haven't had much of an issue reliability-wise with these and they have a 1 year warranty. BUT there is a much bigger issue you have to consider when installing these on your vehicle. They aren't legal for highway use. A vehicle that comes from the factory with xenon lights has a completely different reflector design to the headlight and on BMW's they actually level themselves as you drive. Putting a xenon kit in a halogen headlight does enable the driver to see better without question. But without the proper aiming and beam pattern needed for a xenon setup you'll be upsetting oncoming traffic for sure, and getting the attention of law enforcement.

tcw9999 07-31-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogoomah (Post 7725444)
TCW9999, I'm in Michigan, 48375... Any recommendations of a good quality xenon upgrade for reasonable price? Thanks!

it's really depends how much you want to spend or how far you want to go? I usually get the part from ebay. cuz they are cheap!! I usually will buy 2 or 3 sets because still cheaper than retail store and I would install myself but if you don't know how or been lazy to install then I guess you will just pay someone else to install for you. I really don't know about your area but in my area, we have a lots of motorsport shop around. so it will be easy for me to find the guy to do it for me if I am been lazy.. LOL~~

tcw9999 07-31-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_30 (Post 7731753)
I'd be really careful with aftermarket HID/Xenon kits.. they can be very unreliable. I've had horrible experiences with ballasts and bulbs needing replacement after less than a year.

How much would it cost to get a replacement from the dealer? or an online parts distributor like bavauto?

that's why I always get more than 2 sets.. because they are cheap on ebay and it's worth to get it.

tcw9999 07-31-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogoomah (Post 7725444)

by the way, remember to get only 4300K~5000K color. because that's the only color will be close to factory use.