Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Help with 2014 tech package (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711548)

Sfuzzi 07-27-2013 07:58 AM

Help with 2014 tech package

I am having trouble with all the options in the tch pkg. we are thinking of just ordering the nav system standalone.

I am curious about opinions on other options

HUD. We like this feature but wouldn't splurge just for this

Curiuos on thoughts regarding

BMW Online
Remote Services
BMW Apps
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus smartphone integration
Advanced realtime traffic info

Thanks!

Metalusmc 07-27-2013 08:02 AM

Re: Help with 2014 tech package

I think tech package only adds the hud. Honestly is a cool gadget but just added the nav which adds a lot more and use the diff to upgrade the stereo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app

ironfan 07-27-2013 10:39 AM

Once you have a HUD all other vehicles are lacking ;)

roadkillrob 07-27-2013 11:24 AM

It is more than the HUD because you also get the black instrument panel with the full color display in the bottom half of the gauges and the display is totally black when off - you can't see the speedo or tach, much nicer than the standard instrument cluster. Worth the money, I like it, but my wife doesn't really like the HUD and turns it off and it doesn't work at all with polarized sun glasses, I really like the HUD for navigation instructions!

mpabner 07-27-2013 12:31 PM

I love my HUD! Before I used it, my attitude was "meh". Now I could not imagine driving without it. Especially when on an interstate system I am not familiar with and the image changes to let me know what lane I need to be in to get off at the exit. Really nice upgrade.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

TerraLvr335i 07-27-2013 01:22 PM

Agreed. I like the HUD much more than I thought I would. In particular, the Nav directions. The polarized sunglasses thing kind of sucks, but I guess since the display is a reflection, it'd be tough to resolve that issue.

Sedona 07-27-2013 02:54 PM

I wasn't that interested in the HUD until I went to the ultimate driving experience and test drove the X3 with HUD. I was concerned about my polarized sunglasses but I was able to see it just fine. I think some brands don't cause as much of a problem. After this test drive I was sold on the HUD and ordered it. Now I have to wait until my car is on the train and on it's way!!

Stitches 07-27-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpabner (Post 7736206)
I love my HUD! Before I used it, my attitude was "meh". Now I could not imagine driving without it. Especially when on an interstate system I am not familiar with and the image changes to let me know what lane I need to be in to get off at the exit. Really nice upgrade.

My feelings exactly!

haodang 07-27-2013 11:12 PM

Personally, I really love HUD. I would have felt regretful if I haven't chose it. But this is just personal.

Brighty 07-28-2013 07:31 AM

I love the HUD also. Just picked up my x3 last night. I never need to look down to see my speed or direction now. Much safer. And the navigation arrow helps me judge where I am in the lane since I'm getting used to the bigger car. Very necessary option in my opinion.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bimmermann882 07-28-2013 08:53 AM

Do you need to get a separate price for the integrated iPod/phone holder bc I can't figure out how it snaps in

Liverman 07-28-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmermann882 (Post 7737469)
Do you need to get a separate price for the integrated iPod/phone holder bc I can't figure out how it snaps in

Yes.

The plastic insert snaps out and the iPhone adapter snaps in.

Aside from attaching the iPhone to the car's antenna system and getting you some extra signal strength (range), it apparently does not add any functionality that you don't get by connecting the iPhone via a USB cable.

Liverman 07-28-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfuzzi (Post 7735783)
I am having trouble with all the options in the tch pkg. we are thinking of just ordering the nav system standalone.

I am curious about opinions on other options

HUD. We like this feature but wouldn't splurge just for this

Curiuos on thoughts regarding

BMW Online
Remote Services
BMW Apps
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus smartphone integration
Advanced realtime traffic info

Thanks!

The Nav System (609) gets you all those features. it is the only way you get those features.

The Tech Package is the Nav system (with all the features plus the HUD).

BMW Online, BMW Apps, ARTTI and Remote Services are the technology enablement and several years of services. Technology and cloud based services are both required to deliver the features as described by BMW. After the period of service runs out, you have to pay for it on an annual basis to keep the features (feature = technology + service).

Go to the dealer, look at a car with these options (does not have to be an X3, just one with the NBT iDrive system such as a '14 X3 or a '13 or later 5-series) and take an hour or so to really play with the whole set of features: Nav, Online features, HUD and decide what they are worth to you.

That's what I did. I did the same thing with cars with both the stock and premium sound systems. My sales associate handed me the keys to three cars with the features I wanted to learn about and turned me loose in the lot with them. That allowed me to make an informed decision about the features I wanted for my driving style and my intended use of the vehicle. And decide if they were worth what BMW was asking me to pay for them. Some were, some weren't.

One thing that is not obvious in the HUD literature is that the HUD displays require a different windshield with a special coating and tighter specs on shape. If you live in an area with a lot of airborne dirt think about coating damage and replacement costs. These may or may not be an issue to you.

billyk 07-29-2013 08:30 AM

HUD - like it after a few test drives. I wish I ordered it. I think it is a safety feature which keep your eyes on the road. Hey, Even a Prius has it :)

To me, the others are just gadgets. You get a bigger screen and feels better :). There are many features I can get from a smaller screen - my phone. I don't see the need of getting weather, twitter, FB, dictate emails on the car. I'll suggest you going through all the features, understand them and see if you will really use them or they are just something you "may" turn on once or twice a year

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...013/index.html

IRBD 08-03-2013 12:02 AM

Now that we have HUD on both cars, I rent cars when I travel and wonder how I ever kept my eyes on the road. I didn't think I'd use it much but have found it to be one of the best tech features I've ever had. I need reading glasses for close work, and have had issues clearly seeing the speedometer under some conditions. I now realize how much time I spent focusing instead of watching the road. I hope HUD is available in any car I buy from now on.