Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Water Leaking on Rear Trunk Cover. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712037)

jsuday06 07-29-2013 11:49 AM

Water Leaking on Rear Trunk Cover.

Ok, I don't know how best to describe it but when it rains, two-three days in a row water seems to accumulate in the middle of the cover. The problem is I'm not sure where its dripping from as there is no water residue on the ceiling or sides. Anyone else having this problem or seeing this, kinda making me frustrated:mad:

mpabner 07-29-2013 12:20 PM

Have not seen this and it has been raining almost every day for about 4 weeks now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Liverman 07-29-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsuday06 (Post 7739613)
Ok, I don't know how best to describe it but when it rains, two-three days in a row water seems to accumulate in the middle of the cover. The problem is I'm not sure where its dripping from as there is no water residue on the ceiling or sides. Anyone else having this problem or seeing this, kinda making me frustrated:mad:

Some ideas:
1. Could be condensate if you have the air con on high and the humidity is high
2. Take paper towels and wipe inside the ceiling, rear windows along any path from the outside to the area where it pools and see where the towel picks up moisture. That will give you a clue as to the path.

jsuday06 07-30-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpabner (Post 7739669)
Have not seen this and it has been raining almost every day for about 4 weeks now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverman (Post 7740340)
Some ideas:
1. Could be condensate if you have the air con on high and the humidity is high
2. Take paper towels and wipe inside the ceiling, rear windows along any path from the outside to the area where it pools and see where the towel picks up moisture. That will give you a clue as to the path.

Thanks for the help, I decided to drop it off at the dealership.

guyver626 07-30-2013 02:13 PM

Please follow up with us and let us know how it was resolved.

jsuday06 07-31-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyver626 (Post 7742048)
Please follow up with us and let us know how it was resolved.

Yep I will keep you all posted.

jsuday06 08-02-2013 08:00 AM

Ok the update from the dealership is that there was no fix at this time as they could not duplicate the problem. I'm gonna have to take pictures and video in order for them to fix this problem.

bimmernut1 08-03-2013 08:37 AM

First dry the area completely with a fan to prevent mildew smell and allow a neutral test. I would then lay some cardboard over the area. You need to determine if the water is dripping down or soaking up from the bottom. Drips will show splash patterns on cardboard. Perhaps a run through a touchless car wash would allow you to quickly duplicate the source.

By the way have you ever used high pressure washer wands on your X3?

BaxTax 08-03-2013 04:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem. My 2011 did the same thing. Apparently the rubber molding needs to be adjusted, it apparently did not properly seal and needed to be tweaked abit.

Haven't had a problem with it since.

Good luck.

slambmw 08-03-2013 07:34 PM

I had a GM car years ago with a similar problem. The dealership had difficulties locating the problem and after a few months of complaints, it was the wheels spinning in the rain and splashed into a defective underbelly seam that caused the water build up. The rest of the car was dry except this area.

Not sure if you have the same problem, but it is difficult to locate.