Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Cradle vs Console USB Port? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713256)

RhoXS 08-04-2013 08:27 AM

Cradle vs Console USB Port?

If I use a cable to connect either our iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 into the console USB port, will that give us the same functionality of using the cradle?

My wife and I both use Pandora and it would be nice (and a lot safer) to control Pandora through the iDrive controller rather than from the iPhone screen. I just don't want to spend $250 or so each for the necessary adapters if the adjacent USB port will provide the same functionality. I briefly tried just plugging my iPhone 5 in to the console USB port but did not get any control through iDrive. I may have not done something correctly as I did not spend a lot of time playing with it since blue tooth works so well except for having Pandora control.

02420X3 08-04-2013 10:57 AM

Do you have BMW Apps (6NR)? Do you have the BMW Connected app on your iPhone?

RhoXS 08-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02420X3 (Post 7752090)
Do you have BMW Apps (6NR)? Do you have the BMW Connected app on your iPhone?

Yes to both questions.

02420X3 08-04-2013 12:44 PM

It should work fine with the USB cable. Start Pandora on your iPhone, plug in the USB cable, and once the app connects to your X3 you should find Pandora as one of the Radio options. You'll have album art, just as you do on the iPhone.

The only thing that the cradle will get you is video on the 4S (but not on the 5), a different iTunes interface, and allegedly access to an antenna that will give you better signal strength.

cadman50 08-05-2013 06:29 AM

another convenience factor with the cradle is the phone is nicely tucked away and no wires to hook up and it free's the USB port for more music on a USB stick. So the question is is it worth the money for that convenience. I like the idea of snapping the phone into the cradle but they haven't developed the cradle yet for the Iphone5. And it looks like there's a new iPhone getting ready to hit the market...not sure if the size will be the same or any other features on it.

Marathon Man 08-05-2013 08:39 AM

I think BMW needs to rethink the cradle business. If it takes a year to develop a cradle for a new iPhone, and a new one comes out every year, I would ask "why bother". I can't see buying one for my 1 year old iPhone 5 that I will likely upgrade in another year to the latest and greatest.

That doesn't even count all the other brands and models out there. If there is a real benefit to the cradle, then they need a more generic solution. Other wise, free up the space in the console.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

ironfan 08-05-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02420X3 (Post 7752246)
The only thing that the cradle will get you is video on the 4S (but not on the 5), a different iTunes interface, and allegedly access to an antenna that will give you better signal strength.

Not true for the MY 2014 X3s, both the video output and interface have been disabled. So the only benefit now is the external antenna but depending on where the OP lives that may not be necessary.

swood02 08-05-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 7753638)
I think BMW needs to rethink the cradle business. If it takes a year to develop a cradle for a new iPhone, and a new one comes out every year, I would ask "why bother". I can't see buying one for my 1 year old iPhone 5 that I will likely upgrade in another year to the latest and greatest.

That doesn't even count all the other brands and models out there. If there is a real benefit to the cradle, then they need a more generic solution. Other wise, free up the space in the console.

Well said. It's a waste of time and money if BMW can't come out with something useful in a timely manner.

Vrusnak779 08-06-2013 12:00 PM

To: Cadman50: the only disadvantage is the phone cover (if you use one). You have to take it off and on whenever you plug your phone in/ take it out.

cadman50 08-06-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrusnak779 (Post 7756233)
To: Cadman50: the only disadvantage is the phone cover (if you use one). You have to take it off and on whenever you plug your phone in/ take it out.

Ah yes....i don't have a iPhone yet but I know what you mean. That definitely is a problem. I'm waiting to see what this new iPhone might be about.

Inline Sixer 08-11-2013 11:16 AM

Can anyone here confirm whether the cradle can access your iPhone address book (without using bluetooth)? The benefit of the cradle in this instance, if true, might be faster loading of address book than via bluetooth.

ironfan 08-15-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inline Sixer (Post 7765904)
Can anyone here confirm whether the cradle can access your iPhone address book (without using bluetooth)? The benefit of the cradle in this instance, if true, might be faster loading of address book than via bluetooth.

But you still need the Bluetooth to make the call right?!