Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Alternator noise... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718472)

FLE39 08-27-2013 07:56 PM

Alternator noise...
 
Just started this week. Very noticeable at idle. I took the belt off and checked the idler pulley which only has 30k on it and it's fine. I spin the alt by hand and yup... making noise. Sounds like a bearing is going bad. 123k on it. looks original. I just got done doing the oil pan and all this work and now like 2 months later the alternator bearings go. :mad: This is my work car and now I don't feel confident driving it out of town. :tsk: What are my options here... Napa?

540 M-Sport 08-27-2013 08:49 PM

How about a factory Bosch rebuild sold through www.autohausaz.com for $200 with free shipping? ($108 core charge refunded when you return your old alternator)

small_525 08-28-2013 06:19 AM

WOW that's a big core charge. I got a Bosch rebuild at Autozone under $250 including the $15 core, at $15 I'll rebuild my old one for a spare. Alt also came with the autozone life time warranty for whatever that is worth.

I don't know how far you have to drive to work and back and its hard to say if the alt will last another 10 miles or 10,000 if you have the time shop around if not take whats in stock. See the sticky on best link for info on alt bearings and where to get them good info there.

cn90 08-28-2013 06:59 AM

The V8 alternator is always expensive.

Anyway for I6, this is a very good deal for a brand-new (not rebuilt) alternator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...-/141035603526

crazy4trains 08-28-2013 07:45 AM

Autozone sells the Bosch units also. My experience with the Autozone offerings has not been great, so buyer beware. They did honor their warranty which is a good thing but IMO the alternator I purchased from them failed prematurely.

cn90 08-28-2013 07:48 AM

Rebuilt alternators these days are so unreliable, it basically wastes people time/effort.
The rebuilders are very shady, this is why I tell people to rebuild the alt themselves.

The other option is to buy it NEW, the link above is for NEW alt.

bluebee 08-28-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn90 (Post 7802017)
Rebuilt alternators these days are so unreliable

I'm not going to disagree with you, as I only have one datapoint, and I do understand your arguments (that the rebuilders put the cheapest parts they can get and don't replace all the things they should) ...

But, I will say that my rebuilt Bosch 120A alternator from Max at OemBimmerparts is still going strong after three years and about 50K miles ...
- One users' example of total electrical failure (AAA towed away) alternator repair (1)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...0&d=1280469527

540 M-Sport 08-28-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn90 (Post 7801923)
The V8 alternator is always expensive.

Anyway for I6, this is a very good deal for a brand-new (not rebuilt) alternator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...-/141035603526

CN90, I also noticed no core charge, which means the OP could keep his old unit to rebuild as a spare, or sell separately on Ebay. That is a great deal for "new".

540 M-Sport 08-28-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4trains (Post 7802008)
Autozone sells the Bosch units also. My experience with the Autozone offerings has not been great, so buyer beware. They did honor their warranty which is a good thing but IMO the alternator I purchased from them failed prematurely.

Rebuilt by Bosch, or a third party? According to the Autozone website they currently sell "Duralast" rebuilt alternators....they are not rebuilt by Bosch. My personal experience with third party rebuilders is they can be spotty on reliability. Some are okay, others put out gussied up and shiny clean pieces of crap. In other words they do a great job of cleaning the housing, and painting it, and putting it in a nice new box with a 'lifetime' warranty, but who knows what they actually replaced, and with what quality standard of parts used?

I have never had an issue with a rebuilt starter or alternator by the oem manufacturer, such as Nippondenso or Bosch. OEM manufacturers have a reputation to keep, so they seem to put out a quality product in my experience.

nedmon 08-28-2013 01:21 PM

At 160k I installed a rebuilt Bosch from Rock auto. That was about a year ago. Think I will treat it to a fuel pump next.

crazy4trains 08-28-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport (Post 7802705)
Rebuilt by Bosch, or a third party? According to the Autozone website they currently sell "Duralast" rebuilt alternators....they are not rebuilt by Bosch. My personal experience with third party rebuilders is they can be spotty on reliability. Some are okay, others put out gussied up and shiny clean pieces of crap. In other words they do a great job of cleaning the housing, and painting it, and putting it in a nice new box with a 'lifetime' warranty, but who knows what they actually replaced, and with what quality standard of parts used?

I have never had an issue with a rebuilt starter or alternator by the oem manufacturer, such as Nippondenso or Bosch. OEM manufacturers have a reputation to keep, so they seem to put out a quality product in my experience.

Unsure. It probably was "Bosch equipped" and not truly rebuild by Bosch. I do remember having more than just the three choices shown on their web site now.

FLE39 08-29-2013 05:18 AM

I'm probably going to do the cheapester rebuild altnerator I can get. Autozone, Autohaus, Napa Etc. I'm spending too much money on this car and still have a old car. Love the E39 though. Literally the best car I've driven for daily use. But I'm debating a new, 0% Ram 1500 or something. The new RAM trucks really caught my attention. And I can use it more for work and personal use. Rear coil springs, 8spd ZF german transmission with rotary shifter, air bag suspension, remote start, AC seats.... I've been average more than a monthly payment for a new vehicle since I bougth this E39 last Oct. I'm just about over being nickel and dimed to death.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms