Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   carfax just got smoked by abc (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720273)

Burning2nd 09-05-2013 04:45 PM

carfax just got smoked by abc

world news..

ABC just did a special...

And the verdict (because the news says so) says that

carfax is Full of SHIIT

not because i said so or anything...

lol

so glad thats a 40 bucks ive never spent

dtadrian 09-05-2013 04:49 PM

They are full of ****. I have a 2005 odyssey since new. Apparently I have an accident in 2007. I dispute it and they fail to give me any police report #. So now my all original , never painted family van is tarnished and it affects my trade in value. They suck and hope they go belly up.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

drive by72 09-05-2013 04:49 PM

Link?

Burning2nd 09-05-2013 04:51 PM

abc.com lol

what you dont have the 630 world news over there?

oh..... yeah.. thats cause its still 3 pm over there...

go home watch the news tonight record it and post it for extra points

Burning2nd 09-05-2013 05:00 PM

In all seriousness

The best "PPE" you guys call it? no thats proper protective equipment at work (ear plugs safty glasses)

eh... what do you guys call it.. a pre purchase inspection ? ppi???

What every... regardless of that nonsense (also nonsense)
the best way to look at a car is to drive it... wear a old shirt... and not be afraid to get on your back and slide under it
bring a flash light, look carefully.. and know what your looking at 99.987% of the time.. Im running circles around the seller...

i can uselly trip them up in about 3 min, but thats not whats important.. whats important is that the sale is fair
when we bought the x3 few months back.. i told the guy.. "i was gonna try to *** you down (dont need more fourm points) but since its clean and your honest ill give you what you want for it"
on the test drive.. he was in the back... and he was like "so you know alot about cars?" i was like" just a bit" he says then.... "you need a job"

my wife started laughing... i politely said.. no i don't work on cars anymore.. then explained how i was looking for this truck for about 2 years, he said... how far did you guys come? 100 miles...

he then proceeded to shell the hole story of the aution.... the sales price.. his price.. his mark up.. i told him 1500 pocket it fair...

ended up getting his personal phone number..

ABC for the win

crazy4trains 09-05-2013 05:14 PM

Carfax is just another tool for dealer benefit, not the buyer.

Oxide_325i 09-06-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning2nd (Post 7819554)
In all seriousness

The best "PPE" you guys call it? no thats proper protective equipment at work (ear plugs safty glasses)

eh... what do you guys call it.. a pre purchase inspection ? ppi???

What every... regardless of that nonsense (also nonsense)
the best way to look at a car is to drive it... wear a old shirt... and not be afraid to get on your back and slide under it
bring a flash light, look carefully.. and know what your looking at 99.987% of the time.. Im running circles around the seller...

i can uselly trip them up in about 3 min, but thats not whats important.. whats important is that the sale is fair
when we bought the x3 few months back.. i told the guy.. "i was gonna try to *** you down (dont need more fourm points) but since its clean and your honest ill give you what you want for it"
on the test drive.. he was in the back... and he was like "so you know alot about cars?" i was like" just a bit" he says then.... "you need a job"

my wife started laughing... i politely said.. no i don't work on cars anymore.. then explained how i was looking for this truck for about 2 years, he said... how far did you guys come? 100 miles...

he then proceeded to shell the hole story of the aution.... the sales price.. his price.. his mark up.. i told him 1500 pocket it fair...

ended up getting his personal phone number..

ABC for the win

According to my job (I Work for NewPig, you're in the auto repair service. i'm sure you've heard of pigmats) PPE Is known as Personal Protective Equipment.

here's the link to the video
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/check-carfax-18743237

uncmozo 09-06-2013 05:18 AM

Thanks Oxide for providing the link!

manticore33 09-06-2013 05:34 AM

I thought it was common knowledge that Carfax does not have all of the records on a car.

Finding signs of repaints, collision damage, and etc is pretty easy if you use your eyes and look closely at the non-finished sheet metal.

To potential buyers out there, we the people have the Internet. Use it to research and learn about your expensive purchases instead of relying on corporate America to tell the honest non-stretched truth (especially marketers).

Burning2nd 09-06-2013 06:53 AM

Pigmats FTW... we have lots of em.. here and at the shop

Oxide_325i 09-06-2013 07:23 AM

do you need any? I can give u a call and get u set up with a great deal!

Burning2nd 09-06-2013 07:43 AM

that number is the shop... You can call matt there @ ableton auto hauze... Tell him Jon gave you the number on the bimmer fourms... Idk if he needs them...
Here at Polyone we have a vendor already...

but im protty sure matt also does not need them

Nfs021 09-06-2013 06:03 PM

Re: carfax just got smoked by abc

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtadrian (Post 7819532)
They are full of ****. I have a 2005 odyssey since new. Apparently I have an accident in 2007. I dispute it and they fail to give me any police report #. So now my all original , never painted family van is tarnished and it affects my trade in value. They suck and hope they go belly up.

That's your car you've bought new, and they refuse to give you info? Did you talk to an attorney about that? I know I would if I owned my car since new and never had any accidents. They should by LAW be required to give you that info since it's YOUR car. Of course they say my '02 540 has "no accident damage". But we all know that's a load of crap. Even I'm about 80% positive it's had some ding in it's almost 12 year old life.

'Cane 09-06-2013 09:43 PM

My old 2007 335i Coupe sustained $30,000.00 in damage in an accident (not my fault). The Carfax is clean, no accident history.

E36 Phantom 09-07-2013 01:47 AM

Re: carfax just got smoked by abc

What's new here? That has always been the case. Carfax has always pretty clearly stated it doesn't have everything and relies on the data providers. People who rely solely on a Carfax and not on checking the car out themselves if qualified or by a qualified mechanic are getting what they pay for.

I do also believe Auto Check is better. I've personally owned SEVERAL vehicles with spotless Carfaxes but issues on Auto Check. Carfax has an advantage in service history for sure, but I think Auto check is better for the important stuff.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

wyb 09-07-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36 Phantom (Post 7821997)
What's new here? That has always been the case. Carfax has always pretty clearly stated it doesn't have everything and relies on the data providers. People who rely solely on a Carfax and not on checking the car out themselves if qualified or by a qualified mechanic are getting what they pay for.

I do also believe Auto Check is better. I've personally owned SEVERAL vehicles with spotless Carfaxes but issues on Auto Check. Carfax has an advantage in service history for sure, but I think Auto check is better for the important stuff.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

My car had a new bumper - not on carfax - not sure it should be either - it was factory bumper from the dealer - replaced due to rabbit strike in just the wrong place meaning the fog-lamp would not latch back into place (broke the clips that are part of the bumper) - not exactly "real damage" - no metal-work at all... where do you draw the line? I did notice they got some paint on the black trim that is under the bumper after I got it home - kind of pissed me off now because it is overspray - I'll probably replace that trim piece before I trade her... just so I don't get dinged for "you've been in an accident" - not that I'm hiding anything, but it was so minor that anyone who considers it a major problem is someone I don't want to sell it to... they're idiots imo.

Guest091814 09-07-2013 08:13 AM

How in the world is carfax supposed to know of an accident that has never been reported? Millions of accidents are not reported to prevent car depreciation and auto insurance hikes

///Mariani 09-07-2013 09:34 AM

Pigmats are fascinating. How is it that they can soak up fuel all day long, but wont even acknowledge the presence of water. We get yelled at over PPE all the time. Its funny hearing it away from the job. I have never used carfax because of the way the system works. I dont have to report a thing, and carfax will never know.

MatWiz 09-07-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj745 (Post 7822238)
How in the world is carfax supposed to know of an accident that has never been reported? Millions of accidents are not reported to prevent car depreciation and auto insurance hikes

If the accident is bad enough, anybody will file a claim to get the repair money back. :dunno:

cwsqbm 09-07-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36 Phantom (Post 7821997)
What's new here? That has always been the case. Carfax has always pretty clearly stated it doesn't have everything and relies on the data providers.

Clearly stated in the fine print maybe. If you watch their ads, its evident they are implying (not stating of course) that if you get Carfax report, you'll know if the car has been in accident or had major repairs.

I've checked Carfax on vehicles I've owned, and they always were clean despite there being police reports, insurance claims, and some pretty intense dealer work. If Allstate and State Farm insurance claims don't count as "data providers", who does?

Guest091814 09-07-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatWiz (Post 7822512)
If the accident is bad enough, anybody will file a claim to get the repair money back. :dunno:

Yeh, but not everybody which is why I said carfax does not know. So long as it is not reported nobody will ever know

WileECoyote 09-07-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtadrian (Post 7819532)
Apparently I have an accident in 2007. I dispute it and they fail to give me any police report #. So now my all original , never painted family van is tarnished and it affects my trade in value.

you didn't leave it at the shop for an extended period in 2007, did you?:rofl:

Rmart 09-07-2013 06:56 PM

My beef with CF is what gives them the right to report information on my private property?

'Cane 09-07-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj745 (Post 7822872)
Yeh, but not everybody which is why I said carfax does not know. So long as it is not reported nobody will ever know

So why didn't the Carfax on my car show there was an accident? Big nationwide insurance agencies involved, and a large BMW dealer did the repairs. :dunno:

taco_combo 09-07-2013 10:22 PM

I had 2 cars purchased by me Brand new and got smoked in damages from accidents $10k and $5k of work....1-3 months each in the body shop and guess what both came up no accidents. everyone done via my insurance agency and a very good bodyshop too. not sure how it sneaked through

carfax helps but get a PPI and have them use a paint reader too. case closed