Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Rear Brake Pad Replacement, F25, BMW X3 - DIY (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723873)

wavewuver 09-24-2013 08:12 AM

Rear Brake Pad Replacement, F25, BMW X3 - DIY

Getting ready to replace my rear pads. Unlike most cars, the F25's have an electromechanical parking brake integrated in the brake caliper. The E89, F10 and F12's also have this system, and maybe others.

Gone are the days of simply compressing the caliper piston with my C clamp. There is now an electromechanical actuator attached to the back side of the caliper. This actuator prevents you from simply compressing the piston and installing new pads.

There is a little info on the web, but not much. What I've found so far is that you can easily remove the actuator and then manually retract the internal parking brake spindle. The actuator is attacked to the caliper with two torx bolts. After removing the actuator, there is a splined spindle that needs to be turned in order to back off the parking brake spindle inside the caliper piston. One source says you need a 7mm allen wrench and turn the spindle clockwise. The other source says to turn the spindle counter clockwise. I'm not sure which way is correct.

Does anyone have any additional info on this topic?

wavewuver 09-24-2013 10:00 AM

Did more searching and found this great write-up. Just what I need. The E89's use the same electromechanical system as the F25

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843020

Within a couple of weeks, I'll give this a try and post some pics etc........

Want the Thrill 09-24-2013 12:37 PM

So how many miles did you get before having to replace your pads?

wavewuver 09-24-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want the Thrill (Post 7855585)
So how many miles did you get before having to replace your pads?

Just turned 61,000 miles. Still no light on the dash, but the pads are down to about 2mm.

Want the Thrill 09-24-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavewuver (Post 7855707)
Just turned 61,000 miles. Still no light on the dash, but the pads are down to about 2mm.

Wonder how low they have to get before the light comes on?

gfeiner 09-25-2013 09:59 AM

Rear Brake Pad Replacement - Info Needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want the Thrill (Post 7855883)
Wonder how low they have to get before the light comes on?

The brake pad has to wear down low enough for the brake pad wear sensor to start rubbing on the brake disc

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

wavewuver 09-30-2013 05:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just finished up replacing the rear brake pads. The only thing different is dealing with the electric parking brake.

I had previously checked the rotor thickness and it was greater than the 18.4 mm minimum thickness that was stamped on the rotor.

The wear sensor was just starting to wear and was still serviceable. No need to replace.

The first thing I did was unplug the parking brake actuator cable. Next, I removed the two T30 bolts that attach the actuator to the back of the caliper. The actuator is easily removed. I've attached a couple of pics of the business side of the actuator. The shaft that extends into the caliper is a multi tooth gear type design. I didn't have a tool that matched this but a 7mm allen wrench fits well enough. Later on I saw a youtube video and they used a T45 torx bit instead of the allen wrench.

After removing the actuator, I used a 7mm allen wrench to retract the internal parking brake spindle. Just insert the allen wrench into the back side of the caliper and turn clockwise until it stops. That means you have internally retracted the mechanism so that you can then compress the caliper piston. Very easy to compress with a small C clamp.

After that, replacing the pads is the usual process.

The last thing I did was replace the actuator. Make sure it fits snugly. You have to turn it slightly one way or another to get the gear inserted. Not very hard at all. Bolt it on and plug it in.

Pump the brakes, start the X3, and then set the parking brake. You will hear the motors crank for a few seconds as they reposition themselves.

I reset the dashboard reminder.

Everything went smoothly. If you've done brakes before, you should have no problem.

Good luck......

gfeiner 09-30-2013 05:17 PM

Rear Brake Pad Replacement - Info Needed

Thanks for the info.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

wavewuver 04-05-2014 08:19 AM

Also found a video on youtube but this site doesn't seem to let me post the link......you can search for it.

The exact title is " Rear Brake pads renewal X3 F25 "

missedbass 04-05-2014 02:19 PM

nice job, have you done the fronts yet?

wavewuver 04-05-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missedbass (Post 8258326)
nice job, have you done the fronts yet?

No. The fronts were done under warranty after repeated complaints of squealing. Squealing only happened when you were inching through drive thru's. I think I had about 40,000 on them when the pads were replaced. Rotors were still good.

jeff_K 04-05-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavewuver (Post 8258337)
No. The fronts were done under warranty after repeated complaints of squealing. Squealing only happened when you were inching through drive thru's. I think I had about 40,000 on them when the pads were replaced. Rotors were still good.

I experience squealing in the front in my old Lexus and my 1 yr old X3. Like you said, only happens when the car is driven through drive throughs. In my case, coming out of multi-storey carparks as I needed to control the descent down the ramps, and especially at points where a complete stop is required. With the Lexus, they claimed it's the material used and the the pads were fine. So, what caused the squealing in the front brakes in your case and does it still happen after installation of new pads.

wavewuver 04-05-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_K (Post 8258710)
I experience squealing in the front in my old Lexus and my 1 yr old X3. Like you said, only happens when the car is driven through drive throughs. In my case, coming out of multi-storey carparks as I needed to control the descent down the ramps, and especially at points where a complete stop is required. With the Lexus, they claimed it's the material used and the the pads were fine. So, what caused the squealing in the front brakes in your case and does it still happen after installation of new pads.

After BMW replaced the pads, no more squealing. I've got 30,000 on the new pads and no noise at all. I think it was the pads themselves but they refused to change them for quite a while.