Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Paddle shifters (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725437)

farg 10-01-2013 07:23 PM

Paddle shifters

Dealer tells me about 10 more days to wait before mine arrives. I ordered the M Sport package with the paddle shifters. When you initiate a downshift, does the engine rev match with the appropriate blip? I'm guessing not.

newyankee 10-01-2013 11:19 PM

I recently test drove an M Sport before ordering one yesterday. Going downhill, I downshifted and did not "notice" any change. Eventually, I noticed the tach jumping up with each shift. It took about 3 gears out of the 8 before I could feel the engine drag effect.

Seems to be seamless, and looking forward to getting mine. Will need to get used to 8 gears instead of 4.

H2oGreggy 10-02-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farg (Post 7870653)
Dealer tells me about 10 more days to wait before mine arrives. I ordered the M Sport package with the paddle shifters. When you initiate a downshift, does the engine rev match with the appropriate blip? I'm guessing not.

Yes. It does rev-match and it does it nicely due to the double clutch in the tranny. :thumbup: I play with it a lot even though I get the "eye" from wifey... :tsk: :D

Drewsky 10-02-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2oGreggy (Post 7872302)
Yes. It does rev-match and it does it nicely due to the double clutch in the tranny. :thumbup: I play with it a lot even though I get the "eye" from wifey... :tsk: :D

Uh what? X3 doesn't have a double clutch transmission. It has the ZF 8-speed automatic.

H2oGreggy 10-03-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewsky (Post 7873076)
Uh what? X3 doesn't have a double clutch transmission. It has the ZF 8-speed automatic.

Uh, yup! I stand corrected. However it does shift beautifully!

colson79 10-04-2013 11:53 AM

The X3 is an automatic as I believe the whole rev match thing is only needed for a manual transmission (I'm no expert though), however the X3's transmission is one of the best shifting automatic's I have driven.

farg 10-04-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colson79 (Post 7876955)
The X3 is an automatic as I believe the whole rev match thing is only needed for a manual transmission (I'm no expert though), however the X3's transmission is one of the best shifting automatic's I have driven.

Well aware it's an auto, and can't agree with you that matching not req'd. Take your vehicle out, put it in Drive and go down the road. Put it in a low gear. After you peel yourself off the wind screen, you'll agree marching would be nice. :)

Thanks all, for your responses BTW

colson79 10-04-2013 06:26 PM

Everything that I have read about rev-matching points to it being done for smoother engagement of the clutch when a vehicle is still moving and you downshift. Since an automatic doesn't have a clutch I don't see how any rev-matching would be required. Here's an article I found on Car and Driver that talks about rev-matching and it is definitely for manual transmissions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...atch-explained

farg 10-05-2013 09:40 AM

I'd agree that the existance of a torque convertor mitigates the real need for rev matching, but the fact remains that when you are traveling at 50 mPH in high gear (drive) your engine RPM is low. When you engage a lower gear, your engine RPM goes up, whether auto or manual. The torque convertor softens that blow, but I though it might have been fun to have the built in throttle blip, ala SMG (I know it's a manual at heart).

Oh well.....what the h***, gonna be treat when I get it either way.