Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Rear Liftgate Motor Broke - 7+ weeks waiting for part from Germany (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725997)

iamkevski 10-04-2013 08:41 AM

Rear Liftgate Motor Broke - 7+ weeks waiting for part from Germany

I just went to the dealer today to check on the status of my service, since it's been 4 weeks with no update...

I dropped my x3 2.8i at the dealer on 9/4 to get the rear power liftgate serviced, because the motor was only lifting it about 1/2 way up or down, and then stopping.

The dealer confirmed that it was a defective motor, and said they'd have the part shipped from Germany shortly, since they didn't have it.

Apparently, there is a production problem on this stupid part, and BMW can't get it out the door for some reason. After 4 weeks with a loaner, I called, and they said it's still on order. I went down to get my car, because the loaner x1 was not very fun... When I got to the dealer, they told me that they've been having problems sourcing parts from Germany for a few weeks now, especially with these liftgate motors.

Anyway, thought I'd share my story. I'm definitely turned off on the whole BMW experience based on this, and now the recall. It seems like quality went way down over the past couple years. Hopefully it's just my experience, but I can't believe that I'll have a broken liftgate for over 7 weeks, minimum, with no part to replace it. As soon as that gets fixed, it looks like i'll have to bring it back for the engine recall...

Very bummed out. :thumbdwn:

02420X3 10-04-2013 08:46 AM

Sadly, you are not alone.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0104/308210088

iamkevski 10-04-2013 08:55 AM

wow, thanks for the article. That's messed up.

farg 10-04-2013 09:06 AM

Something that may be related is mentioned in the latest Road and Track. It's an article about the i3, an eco-car that BMW is touting that is reminiscent of a Pontiac Aztec in appearance.

"Ironically, the car (the i3) became a resource pig, sucking the company's other product budgets dry and watering down its more mainstream offerings. BMW has risked its entire business on the development of this car, so it had better be amazing."

A real shame in the change of direction. The article goes on to quote a senior BMW planner: "this is to sell mobility, not to sell cars. We are a mobility company--with good driving cars."

I fear this is sign of the coming apocalypse.

UncleJ 10-06-2013 07:32 AM

Sad, but that may be the way BMW is trending -- they have gotten so big the bean counters have started to displace the "car guys" and we all know what happens then!:cry. Porsche may well be the last of the "real" main stream performance car companies left.
For the OP you might want to look at the NJ lemon laws -- 7 weeks out of service is too long:eek: and you need to move on, either with a buy back or swap out for a new one.:thumbup:

erkbiz 10-07-2013 08:30 AM

iamkevski,

Your experience does not match mine at all. I, too, was having problems with my tailgate.

The dealer replaced all parts associated with the TG lift assembly, including the controller, so I assume this also means the motor.

The entire repair process took 4 days and this is because the dealer first ordered and replaced the lifters when this didn't solve the problem the controller was ordered and installed. Both orders were shipped overnight by air.

lbjgh 10-08-2013 10:50 AM

There is something seriously wrong with a dealer or manufacturer that says it takes seven weeks to ship a part... B.S.

I'm glad to hear erkbiz' experience as that's what I would expect of a premium brand. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by erkbiz (Post 7881820)
iamkevski,

Your experience does not match mine at all. I, too, was having problems with my tailgate.

The dealer replaced all parts associated with the TG lift assembly, including the controller, so I assume this also means the motor.

The entire repair process took 4 days and this is because the dealer first ordered and replaced the lifters when this didn't solve the problem the controller was ordered and installed. Both orders were shipped overnight by air.

The X Men 10-08-2013 11:22 AM

Doesnt the tailgate still open and close manually? Why would you need to get a loaner car just for a tailgate opener?

SpaceManGray 10-13-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7884490)
Doesnt the tailgate still open and close manually? Why would you need to get a loaner car just for a tailgate opener?

It would normally take a couple days to get the part and then a couple days to make the repair... so he'd probably want a loaner during that time. They probably didn't realize it would be so long when he picked up the loaner.

Durkis 10-15-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7884490)

I was thinking the same thing ????

NoI4plz 10-15-2013 08:35 AM

^lol

If your paying a premium for an option, regardless of how much you use it, it better be in that car and it better be functional. Yes I would not personally want to leave my vehicle at the hands of the stealership as their many documented cases of people leaving their car and the personnel taking a joyride.... But Yes I can sympathize with the OP, you pay for an option, it better be there LOL. If you wanna lemon law the vehicle (which is an extreme measure as its only a tailgate and not systemic failure of the CAN-bus) you can. As long as your dealer records for your particular vehicle have the necessary time stamps for the possession of the vehicle (7+ weeks).