Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Loosing my mind (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728656)

jbonly21 10-12-2013 04:28 PM

Loosing my mind
 
My piston rings on # 3 are gone, don't know what to do?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

16valex 10-12-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbonly21 (Post 7893653)
My piston rings on # 3 are gone, don't know what to do?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

How could that happen? Is this base on your compression test data?

jbonly21 10-12-2013 05:07 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 16valex (Post 7893708)
How could that happen? Is this base on your compression test data?

Yep, the piston is folded with oil, and non stop misfire on # 3.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

ztom 10-12-2013 05:45 PM

Cracked head?

dtadrian 10-12-2013 05:52 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztom (Post 7893770)
Cracked head?

++++1. This is most likely your case


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

jbonly21 10-12-2013 05:57 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dtadrian (Post 7893778)
++++1. This is most likely your case


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Why do you guys think that, for what I have read piston rings is a common problem with this engine.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

525isport 10-12-2013 06:34 PM

the only way to know is to open up the engine and check for how much damage there is . then decide next step ,repair or replace engine

jbonly21 10-12-2013 06:39 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 525isport (Post 7893838)
the only way to know is to open up the engine and check for how much damage there is . then decide next step ,repair or replace engine

I know, but I really don't feel like rebuilding another engine.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

JimLev 10-12-2013 06:47 PM

How do you know it's an oil problem with the rings?
Have you done a compression test? What did you get on cyl 3?

dtadrian 10-12-2013 06:52 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Have you ever overheated?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

jbonly21 10-12-2013 07:00 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimLev (Post 7893855)
How do you know it's an oil problem with the rings?
Have you done a compression test? What did you get on cyl 3?

Is been smoking, burning oil for over two months, even after replace CCV. Yesterday it started knocking, ticking and had a none stop misfire on #3. When I check my plugs all my pistons is cover with oil. It could also be a valve seal leak, and the car sounds a diesel truck. A compression test won't tell me anything I don't know already. Either one of the two is a big job.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

JimLev 10-12-2013 07:20 PM

If your oil control rings are all carboned up about the only thing you can do short of ripping it apart is to take the plugs out and flood the cylinders with AMSOIL Powerfoam. Let it sit for a few hours and crank the engine over for a 2-3 seconds.
Then let it sit over night and spray a little more in each cylinder. Let it sit for a few more hours, put the plugs back in and fire it up.
Powerfoam does a good job at softening up carbon. If your rings are stuck in the pistons this is one of the easiest things to free them. Might not work in all cases, but worth a try.
Powerfoams works best if the engine is hot, not so good for removing the plugs if the engine is hot.
How many miles on your engine?
Change the oil after doing this if it helps your misfire and oil problem.

jbonly21 10-12-2013 07:35 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dtadrian (Post 7893863)
Have you ever overheated?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Never overheated
Thanks Jim I will have to give this a try. I am also going to try Lucas stop leak. I just swatch from 0 40 to 10 30, could this has anything to do with it? I just hit 136k.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

JimLev 10-12-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbonly21 (Post 7893942)
Never overheated
Thanks Jim I will have to give this a try. I am also going to try Lucas stop leak. I just swatch from 0 40 to 10 30, could this has anything to do with it? I just hit 136k.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Neither of those weights should be a problem.
I used 5-30 for the first 12 years and then switched to 0-40, I'm not burning oil. I'm at 140K.

EconoBox 10-13-2013 10:57 AM

Was the car driven hard?
My E39 has 138k miles, so I'm not liking this thread!

jbonly21 10-13-2013 12:44 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EconoBox (Post 7894821)
Was the car driven hard?
My E39 has 138k miles, so I'm not liking this thread!

Sometimes, not all the time.

Hi Jim, do you know where I can find Amsoil power foam in store?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

jbonly21 10-14-2013 03:28 AM

Loosing my mind
 
I just did a compression test, and I was right. All cylinders are 120-150, except for # 3. The max I got on 3 was 90. How bad is this? A leak down test is next.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

JimLev 10-14-2013 04:11 AM

Those numbers don't look good, especially #3.
I ordered Power Foam directly from their website.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=APFSC-EA

jbonly21 10-14-2013 04:16 AM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimLev (Post 7896128)
Those numbers don't look good, especially #3.
I ordered Power Foam directly from their website.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=APFSC-EA

I know, is seafoam the same or not? Don't want to wait on shipping.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

poolman 10-14-2013 06:31 AM

Seafoam is good stuff--but for what your doing I would stick to Jim's advice--on your oil--many of us are running 15--w 50 weight with no problems--and I have used the Lucas stop leak--works well. Come to think about it BP Blaster may be good down those piston wells--See what Jim thinks of that stuff.

jbonly21 10-14-2013 06:52 AM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by poolman (Post 7896239)
Seafoam is good stuff--but for what your doing I would stick to Jim's advice--on your oil--many of us are running 15--w 50 weight with no problems--and I have used the Lucas stop leak--works well. Come to think about it BP Blaster may be good down those piston wells--See what Jim thinks of that stuff.

Thanks Poolman, I will stay away from seafoam. Jim what's your thought on BP Blaster?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

jbonly21 10-14-2013 07:05 AM

Loosing my mind
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just found out Amsoil power foam is not an option for me in Ca.
Attachment 402015
Jim can you recommend any other product.
Thanks, for the help.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

poolman 10-14-2013 09:22 AM

You had 90lbs in cylinder 3--that means that the rings are still there,,just not doing much of a job. If you can get the PB Blaster and poor it into 3 and Iguess it wouldn't hurt to poor in the others as well,,then let it set overnight--turn over slowly and poor again---I would rmove the 02 sensors when doing this and have something like a hair dryer or heat gun to blow down the holes where the plugs go in and where the 02 sensors are--don't know what this stuff will do to the cat's

bluebee 10-14-2013 12:26 PM

Did the OP run a leakdown test?

jbonly21 10-14-2013 01:35 PM

Loosing my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebee (Post 7896862)
Did the OP run a leakdown test?

Not yet.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms