Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   My review 550xi m sport vs 528xi (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731978)

550Carbon 10-27-2013 10:14 PM

My review 550xi m sport vs 528xi

My 550 has been in the shop for about two weeks now for a faulty transfer case

I must say I am impressed with the 528
Handling and road manners with the 17 inch continental wheels

I expected the ride to be softer then my 19s obviously, but this car feels so much more athletic and nimble The car feels like it is a lot smaller than my 550

In addition I want to note that I upgraded my front sway bar to the M5
Version which is 2mm thicker

Not sure how the engineers designed the vehicle but it seems like the lighter weight under the hood really benefits this platform.

My car has feels like it has heavy body roll cutting in to turns and the tires always give out cutting-in hard.

With the 528 I feel a lot more confident and it seems like it just eats whatever I throw at it. The 550 is my first BMW and I must say I was a little bit disappointed.

After spending two weeks with this car I feel like I have a better understanding of what BMW handling can feel like

I love everything else about my car as it's loaded with every option ...especially the king of the road feeling I get with 400 hp under my belt .. I miss that.

However the road manners are just a big disappointment.

I'm wondering if Swapping the tires to non-run flats would have the same affect that I am experiencing with the 528

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

kk22 10-27-2013 10:39 PM

535i happy medium:) I almost got the 528i when test driving these cars since I am driving mine 90% in city traffic. However what won me over was the smoothness of the 6 rather than the extra power. That was a bonus. I think I am sold on this medium size platform but ALL the F10 models can gain from losing some heft. I often ponder about going back to a 335i, S4 size but the feel and materials of those cars are clearly a step below.

Perhaps you can downsize on your next BMW but surely drive all three to take your decision. In the meanwhile you better enjoy the king of the highway feel cause there will always be some times when you will crave more Powah!:p

Silververtu 10-28-2013 02:31 AM

Is it also due to the lower speed when you throw the 528i vs. 550?

Alan L. 10-28-2013 06:13 AM

What model year is your 550 and the 528?

550Carbon 10-28-2013 06:33 AM

Both are 13s

Alan L. 10-28-2013 06:50 AM

If thats the case i can't imagine how the LCI 528 handles because I think my lci 550 is already amazing.

neilsarkar 10-28-2013 07:30 AM

Does your 550xi have DHP? I think that's almost a must-have option with the nose heavy configuration.

IRIE I 10-28-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk22 (Post 7922226)
535i happy medium:) I almost got the 528i when test driving these cars since I am driving mine 90% in city traffic. However what won me over was the smoothness of the 6 rather than the extra power. That was a bonus. I think I am sold on this medium size platform but ALL the F10 models can gain from losing some heft. I often ponder about going back to a 335i, S4 size but the feel and materials of those cars are clearly a step below.

Perhaps you can downsize on your next BMW but surely drive all three to take your decision. In the meanwhile you better enjoy the king of the highway feel cause there will always be some times when you will crave more Powah!:p

+1, All three models are excellent cars with different personalities. I prefer the feel of less weight over the front wheels. It was the same back when I had my E39, I much preferred the 6 over the V8, but I can surely understand how addictive the power from the V8 is. It's all about what is more important to you. For me, having the 704 suspension was more important than having Xdrive and I live in New England where it's tough to find a non-Xdrive F10 because of our weather. For me it was about having sportier handling and less weight, but everyone's priorities are different.
Don't forget that there is a new kid in town, the 535d. It doesn't have the power of the V8, but is still fun to drive because of all the low end torque and it handles pretty nice. So drive all four.
I guess the bottom line is you can't go wrong with any of the F10 models IMO, they are all great cars, just figure out what attributes you care about most.

grover432 10-28-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilsarkar (Post 7922616)
Does your 550xi have DHP? I think that's almost a must-have option with the nose heavy configuration.

I agree. I bought a 2013 535 X Drive and looked across the the country for one with Adaptive Drive and couldn't find one with this $3,500 option. I like the handling of the M Sport 535 X Drive I test drove, but it doesn't handle as sharply as 1999 E39 with sport package.

My colleague's 2010 335 X Drive was in the shop recently with a blown motor for several weeks and he had a base 528 X Drive as a loaner. I drove it several times and though the motor was a gem in every condition except at idle. I found the steering wheel a put off (spaghetti skinny) and it drove a bit too floaty and dull, but overall I thought it was a nice car. I'm sure the M Sport would improve the feel of the car.

I ended up picking a 2013 535 X Drive/M Sport because I liked the smoothness of the engine, price point and didn't have use for the 400 HP and poorer fuel economy where I live. I also, found the 550 X Drive a bit ponderous in turns, but I didn't drive one with Adaptive Drive.

demas 10-28-2013 08:10 AM

Interesting observation. I'm likewise on a loaner (AH5) while my '13 550 M-Sport is at the dealer.

While it may not be as nimble as a 528, the standard AH5 feels like a boat - coming from DHP, ARS and IAS - all must have's to me for the non M F10s