Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   My trunk unlocks and locks by itself - x5 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734356)

vodacious 11-09-2013 01:32 AM

My trunk unlocks and locks by itself - x5

About a week ago my trunk on my 2002 X5 3.0i started to unlock by itself while i was driving or idling. I would stop the SUV and slam it shut again and a few seconds or minutes later it would unlock by itself again. Never fully opening because it semi re-locks. What can be the problem or how to fix it? My battery is practically new and I am 99% sure its not the key fob. HELP!!!

QSilver7 11-09-2013 09:29 AM

Hmmm, the e39 has a fairly common issue as you describe that is usually brought on by chaffed or broken wires inside the loom that goes from the body of the car into the trunk( sedans) or tailgate (Tourings). See the images below of how when you pull back the corrugated cover on the loom, you'll see broken wires inside as the lid is opened/closed over the course of years that eventually breaks some of the wires. You may want to check (pull back) your X5s wiring looms to insure that you don't have any similar broken wires:

vodacious 11-11-2013 02:23 AM

Thanks for your input. I took a look at the wires and they are all in good condition. The trunk issue seems to be increasing :(

salcochrane 11-11-2013 10:54 PM

Trunk / Boot unlocks itself on my x5

Hi I have the same problem.
I have a BMW X5 2002, for no reason my boot just unlocks, i think it usually happens when idling or when I stop. I only use the spare key manually as my car needs a new electronic keyfob. The boot being opened has caused the boot lights to stay on. Hence, my battery going flat while lights on for 4 days. My battery is fully charged now, and the boot problem is still happening. So I believe it's not my battery nor my key causing this problem. But I could be wrong. does anyone have any ideas?

DDutchman 11-12-2013 10:01 AM

Could there be a stuck or vibration induced pressure switch on the fob or upper or lower tailgates? First time I got farm dirt in mine I started getting issues like that, including the alarm going off.

salcochrane 11-12-2013 08:06 PM

Thanks I think the vibration was my issue as the handle was a bit loose. Bigger screws in my upper tailgate fixed my problem and cleaning out dust. Have noticed I could be up for a soft close motor in mine also.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

vodacious 11-17-2013 01:34 AM

I cleaned my tailgate and tightened it up. After switching to a different key, it still opens spontaneously, but a little bit less. It opens when the car is turned off. Happened 3 times today for no reason. I wonder if its a short somewhere in the wiring up front or if i should replace the tailgate sensor thingy. arghhhh... mechanic doesn't know what to think of it either. Said could be key fob, could be a short, could be blah blah blah, but no clear this is what we need to do to fix it. Only just mess around w/ it to see what is causing it.

salcochrane 11-17-2013 02:05 AM

Please let me know what the problem with yours was when u ever find out. Frustrating I know! I spoke too soon, I thought cleaning out dust and putting tighter screws in fixed mine but was only a temporary fix for a few days. grrr. I'm starting to think maybe I need an electronic key fob to get the car all synced. (when I bought my car it only came with the manual spare key, should get one anyway- i want remote un/locking) They say when the keys have a problem that weird things happen! Having said all that, it could also be a wire or maybe the soft-close motor, sensor. Don't want to play the expensive process of elimination game but I'll start with a new key & see if that's solves the problem. Goodluck 2 U :)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

QSilver7 11-17-2013 12:08 PM

The remote key is not going to solve your issue...in fact, you'll be more disappointed because when there's an issue with the central locking system...the remote lock/unlock & arm/disarm stops working. In fact, the most brought up issue with the remote keys is that they won't work...and it's usually something wrong with the central locking system like a blown fuse or failing GM III.

But you should definitely have more than one key. :)