Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dinan MZ3 S54 reprogram available (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8068)

MZNorth 06-11-2002 07:48 PM

Dinan MZ3 S54 reprogram available

In case you haven't already heard, Dinan released a chip software upgrade today for the S54 Coupe/Roadster. Some people have already had it installed and initial impressions seem positive.

Unconfirmed info:
$399. + install
+ 200 rpm
speed limiter removed
will not void warranty
better throttle performance reported
1/4 mile runs in 1-3rd gear probable

MZNorth

scottn2retro 06-12-2002 07:46 AM

Any improvement in 0-60 time?

Hey MZNorth -

Nice time of year in Ottawa! Any 0-60, 0-100 or 1/4 times listed?

MZNorth 06-12-2002 08:22 AM

Only a few people (myself not included) have had this done yet (starting only yesterday) so no reliable data seems to be available yet but Dinan claims 16hp boost. Some people are reportedly planning before and after dyno runs, etc., so time will tell. Initial empirical reports seem positive, however. At $400. it is not a major investment.

Personally I won't have this done for a week or two as the nearest Dinan dealer with the correct software/equipment is 4 hrs away but he will do it when passing through Ottawa, like I said, in a week or two.

It SHOULD be a nice time of year here but the weather has been wet and cooler than normal. Not conducive to top-down driving. :(

MZNorth

scottn2retro 06-12-2002 11:11 AM

keep us informed

Good luck and hope it gives you some noticed performance improvement.

I don't think I want to go with a chip because in LA BMW CCA AutoX it would move me up to M car Modified and those guys are insane! :)

scottn2retro 06-12-2002 11:28 PM

Oh, couple of more ?s

$400 Canadian dollars?

16hp - because the hp curve is virtually a straight line, by raising the rev limiter 200 rpm they should half of the 16 right there.

4 hrs. away - in Toronto?

One thing about Ottawa, once the weather turns good, you guys have nice long summer days.

MZNorth 06-13-2002 07:17 AM

One user claims redline is now at least 8000 after the upgrade

No, it's $400 USD.

Yeah, it is beutiful here in the summer.

scottn2retro 06-13-2002 07:22 AM

I would check on the rev limiter

If he is up to 8000, that should get him the extra 16 to 18 hp (using the slope of the hp curve).

Is the new rev limit chosen by you the customer or preprogrammed into the chip?

If it can be chosen by you, I would read up on the S54 engine problems in the M3s and maybe think about something a little lower than 8000.

Ron Stygar 06-13-2002 10:04 PM

Dinan S54 Z software

Al C. and I will be going to Summerfest in Long Island, NY to have this done June 30th. $399.00 with free install.

Randy Forbes 06-16-2002 08:39 PM

Hi Ron,
Al called me today (about tires).
I'll want your impression of the upgrade.
Closest Dinan Dealer to me is in Ann Arbor.
Might wait until HC and have it done there...

Be seein' you soon!

ARC///M 06-30-2002 08:57 AM

Dinan power band change

As i have posted,had the down load done,Every thing that had been posted came true quicker throtle responce,More torque but me and Stygar have been run testing are cars for a few months with new differentials. And at first mine blew his away then he did the 346 then they were even in every gear at all rpm marks again.I know my car is faster then his (now) but at 4 grand in forth gear he pulls away like hell.We believe that there is more fuel or timing had been munipulated and that the something has changed causing my car to have a complete different power band,Like the RPM`S need to be around five grand in the high gears or if you just run through the gears like you would from a start position no problem but bogging rolling starts in forth or fith gear at low four grand or below his car is quiker.But index the gears to six or seven grand and it (FLY`S)Also when I blew by Ron in the mid seven grand mark he thought he saw liquid(ie)fuel may have flew up on his windshield but we could not confirm this.Ron feels that the throtle is better,And there is more power stored at the top,needing to be used.We need dyno time or some one that has access should test and post real result in a controlled atmosphere.:confused:

scottn2retro 06-30-2002 08:55 PM

new rev limit?

What's the new rev limit?

Is it something that you can tell the installer or is it predetermined in the code when you buy the chip?

ARC///M 07-01-2002 08:06 AM

The limit is eight grand,But the needle reacts slower then the shut down causing some needle too over ramp for a second,Making it look like 8100 rpm`s.No you have no choices,like air box exhaust or RPM settings.

Shawn Fogg 07-01-2002 03:47 PM

"The limit is eight grand,But the needle reacts slower then the shut down causing some needle too over ramp for a second,Making it look like 8100 rpm`s."

I doubt the needle is slow. I believe the S54 uses a 'soft' limiter which cuts back airflow to limit RPMs. From what I've read it isn't an abrupt ignition shutdown like on the earlier cars which is why you are probably getting over 8k.

Shawn