Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   E90 First Drive Review (Jan. 18) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84581)

vehigal 01-17-2005 05:36 PM

E90 First Drive Review (Jan. 18)

I haven't even read it yet. Here you go!

A review from http://cars.msn.co.uk/Carreviewshome/FDBMW3seriesJan05/

vehigal 01-17-2005 06:11 PM

I wish they would say how the suspension compares with a SP or ZHP e46. At least they say it's stiffer, which can only be a good thing.

They could have compared the steering feel (road surface visualization) as well.

BlackChrome 01-17-2005 06:39 PM

No more coolant gauge? :dunno:
http://cars.msn.co.uk/pidl/87279373/NewBMW3Series83.jpg

Kaz 01-17-2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackChrome

None of the new ones (E65/66/60/61/63) have one.

BlackChrome 01-17-2005 06:45 PM

'Let's leave the useless MPG gauge there but delete somewhat more useful coolant gauge...' :rolleyes:

Why can't BMW just include a oil temp gauge???????? :mad:

SONET 01-17-2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaz
None of the new ones (E65/66/60/61/63) have one.

Form over function. That might be okay in designing living room furniture, but this is going to be marketed as a driver's car. :thumbdwn:

--SONET

ktc 01-17-2005 07:42 PM

Hmmmm...

So for those of us about to buy a E46, does that mean that the current 05's will go way down in price soon? :)

Kaz 01-17-2005 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONET
Form over function. That might be okay in designing living room furniture, but this is going to be marketed as a driver's car. :thumbdwn:

--SONET

Well, considering the current gauge is HEAVILY buffered, this isn't much of a change.

psychrunner 01-17-2005 07:56 PM

Pricing?

Does anybody know how the prices mentioned in the review equate to U.S. dollars?

Kaz 01-17-2005 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychrunner
Does anybody know how the prices mentioned in the review equate to U.S. dollars?

They don't. UK cars are packaged differently, and pricing is nothing like what we get in the US.

bmw325 01-17-2005 08:01 PM

Those are the best pictures I've seen of the e90 to date-- makes it look decent. I still don't understand why they did the interior the way they did-- it doesn't look sporty, elegant, or classy. It just look strange and vaguely American car. Its a small thing, but I also can't fathom why they haven't figured out how to incorporate an indash CD changer. I think BMW should put a hold on developing new technology until they can figure out the basics of in-car entratinment in 2004.

ktc 01-17-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg
Those are the best pictures I've seen of the e90 to date-- makes it look decent. I still don't understand why they did the interior the way they did-- it doesn't look sporty, elegant, or classy. It just look strange and vaguely American car. Its a small thing, but I also can't fathom why they haven't figured out how to incorporate an indash CD changer. I think BMW should put a hold on developing new technology until they can figure out the basics of in-car entratinment in 2004.

Some of the earlier pictures in the "Official E90 thread" makes the center console look nearly Japanese.

brkf 01-17-2005 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vehigal
I haven't even read it yet. Here you go!

A review from http://cars.msn.co.uk/Carreviewshome/FDBMW3seriesJan05/

Wow, looks more like a buick than previous pics. yuck. bmw better bring the 1 here right quick.

HughH 01-18-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueguydotcom
Wow, looks more like a buick than previous pics. yuck. bmw better bring the 1 here right quick.

Actually, I thought it looks more like some of the old Pontiac used to look like. At least from the front.

Desertnate 01-18-2005 12:10 PM

I still truly dislike the tail lights. The front would look SO much better to me if they just integrated the grill into the hood like in the E46. Even if the ran the hood over the grill like they did in the E36 it would look better than what they have now.

The beige interior is NASTY. It looks a bit better in black, but still no where near what they were in the E36/46. That's a shame.

Jalli 01-18-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertnate
I still truly dislike the tail lights. The front would look SO much better to me if they just integrated the grill into the hood like in the E46. Even if the ran the hood over the grill like they did in the E36 it would look better than what they have now.

The beige interior is NASTY. It looks a bit better in black, but still no where near what they were in the E36/46. That's a shame.

I kind of agree with your point about the grill, but if they did that why change anything at all. As for indash CD changers, it is probably becasue they didn't have any room. ALso since the new CD player is MP3 compatible you shouldnt need one...

philippek 01-18-2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

The newer BMWs do have an "advance warning stripe" in the tachometer, which serves the function of the coolant gauge (kinda).

On start-up, the stripe extends all the way to 4500 rpm, basically warning not to rev beyond that (although it will do it). As the engine warms, that stripe recedes until it stops at redline.

noflash 01-18-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Looks like the RPM redline is variable. That a coolant gauge for you right there!

Desertnate 01-18-2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalli
I kind of agree with your point about the grill, but if they did that why change anything at all.

The changes are much more than the grill...Its shape has changed, the headlights are very different, the whole shape has changed. I don't think changing where the hoodline cuts through would change much. It would still fit nicely into the design of the car without making it look like the grill was an afterthought.

TD 01-18-2005 12:39 PM

That read like a press release. It seemed to lack any objective appraisal of the car. When you have blurbs like "Six speed gearboxes are standard across the range, both manual and automatic, the latter with full manual override if you feel like taking control yourself.", there's no way that wasn't cut-and-pasted from BMW press materials. "Full manual override"?! On an automatic?! Surely they aren't referring to Steptronic.

Another- "Itís undoubtedly a classic engine in the making, this 3-litre, and it would take a hard nosed, heavily chipped Impreza driver to be anything less than impressed with the level of performance." Um, okay.

Many other quotes exhibited the same apparently lack of objectivity.

I look forward to reading a real review.

JPinTO 01-18-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD
That read like a press release.

Exactly... Thank you. It smelled like a real review, but I had to re-read it twice to confirm that indeed no real driving experiences were other than a comparison about active steering: " the 330i seemed more alive than the 320d driven with the regular steering"

A good rehash of the car's features and UK specs.

Mohegan29 01-18-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

'Let's leave the useless MPG gauge there but delete somewhat more useful coolant gauge...' :rolleyes:

Why can't BMW just include a oil temp gauge???????? :mad:

Amen, BlackChrome. What a useless and distracting thing the MPG gauge is...of course the traditionists gave me crap about that notion...i guess they still want to roll down their windows with the hand cranks.

Gabe 01-18-2005 01:35 PM

That review didn't make the E90 sound half bad. I will definitely miss the cockpit-like interior of the E46... And I will be pissed when all of the electronic gadgets break, but other than that, the E90 is looking pretty good to this bimmerfester.

LeucX3 01-18-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe
That review didn't make the E90 sound half bad.

I'm not sure BMW was going for that exactly. :p

I don't like these pictures at all. Ones that i saw before were better than these. I hope the car looks better in person. I'm just glad i'm not in the market for one.

Staszek 01-18-2005 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philippek
The newer BMWs do have an "advance warning stripe" in the tachometer, which serves the function of the coolant gauge (kinda).

On start-up, the stripe extends all the way to 4500 rpm, basically warning not to rev beyond that (although it will do it). As the engine warms, that stripe recedes until it stops at redline.

Also if you do get I Drive you can get all that information out of it such as coolant temp and oil level.