Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Key Memory problem! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85186)

330ciPfmcePkg05 01-21-2005 06:01 PM

Key Memory problem!

When I drive my 2005 330ci ZHP my doors do not automatically lock...however when i previously had a 2004 325xi everytime I got into the car , turned it on, and drove, the doors automatically locked. I read on bmwusa.com about the Key Memory, and it says it comes standard on my 2005 330ci, so WHY are my doors not locking when i turn the car on and drive away..it states "Key Memory can also be programmed to relock the vehicle automatically when it reaches 5 mph"...if that so..how do i program the key memory to do this because it is not locking!

obmd1 01-21-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 330ciPfmcePkg05
When I drive my 2005 330ci ZHP my doors do not automatically lock...however when i previously had a 2004 325xi everytime I got into the car , turned it on, and drove, the doors automatically locked. I read on bmwusa.com about the Key Memory, and it says it comes standard on my 2005 330ci, so WHY are my doors not locking when i turn the car on and drive away..it states "Key Memory can also be programmed to relock the vehicle automatically when it reaches 5 mph"...if that so..how do i program the key memory to do this because it is not locking!

:nono: can't... dealer's gotta do it.

RSPDiver 01-21-2005 06:21 PM

RTFM. Your dealer should have given you the key programming options. I suggest you study a) the sales brochure, and b) the owner's manual. You will find the answers to lots of your questions.

330ciPfmcePkg05 01-21-2005 06:38 PM

Hey RSPdiver...i just went to my car and took our the owners manual and it says it is possible but never said how to program it...?

RSPDiver 01-21-2005 06:42 PM

As obmd1 stated above, the dealer will acutally perform the programming.

zoofa 01-21-2005 07:22 PM

Think about any other dealer-programmed options (alarm activation, running lights, etc) so you can have them all done at once.

obmd1 01-21-2005 07:24 PM

Quote:

Hey RSPdiver...i just went to my car and took our the owners manual and it says it is possible but never said how to program it...?

It was the coolest thing....I remember it like yesterday. Parents should get that kind of orientation!!!... He said he took the liberty of programming the ket for my preferences of doorlocks, daytime running lights, and one other thing I forgot....and asked if they were right....

your guy shoulda asked (or gal...

AndDown 01-21-2005 07:59 PM

I'm surprised that some of the dealers don't inform their new clients about the programming options - it's supposed to be part of the new car orientation, IIRC. When the dealer I bought the X5 from called to let me know the car was in, she asked about my preferences for the programming. With the 325, the dealer (not the same as the X) didn't mention anything about programming, I had to ask him. :tsk:

330ciPfmcePkg05 01-21-2005 09:10 PM

Hey obmd1....im going to my dealer tomorrow what are all the possible things that can be programmed on my Key Memory? do you or anyone else know, so I know what preferences I would like, and what I should ask for tomorrow when I go speak to my dealer. Thanks all.

obmd1 01-21-2005 09:17 PM

Quote:

Hey obmd1....im going to my dealer tomorrow what are all the possible things that can be programmed on my Key Memory? do you or anyone else know, so I know what preferences I would like, and what I should ask for tomorrow when I go speak to my dealer. Thanks all.

:D :D ask him where I can get my hands on an Alpine White/Imola M Coupe... 'bout a '99 or 2000 36/8.

I remember doorlocks and daytime running lights... read the manual...dealer programed something or other :dunno:

AndDown 01-21-2005 09:22 PM

Quote:

Here's an exhaustive list of options...the list that the dealers usually give you are much abbreviated:
http://www.x5world.net/carkeycfg.html

jetstream23 01-25-2005 12:43 PM

I just noticed that my lights are on constantly even in daylight but I specifically told the dealer that I did not want Daytime Running Lights enabled. Before I call him can anyone confirm that the daytime running lights would be the innermost pair of lights on the car and not the Xenons that would be on?

I pulled into my garage and noticed that the regular colored headlights were on, I turned the light switch from the Auto lights position (all the way left) to the 0 position (12 o'clock) which should be off. The lights remained on.

RSPDiver 01-25-2005 01:20 PM

Yes, DRLs are the inner pair (halogen) lights, not the projector beam HID/Xenon lights on the outside.

doeboy 01-25-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream23
I just noticed that my lights are on constantly even in daylight but I specifically told the dealer that I did not want Daytime Running Lights enabled. Before I call him can anyone confirm that the daytime running lights would be the innermost pair of lights on the car and not the Xenons that would be on?

I pulled into my garage and noticed that the regular colored headlights were on, I turned the light switch from the Auto lights position (all the way left) to the 0 position (12 o'clock) which should be off. The lights remained on.

So you're saying your Xenons are on even though your light switch is set to "OFF"? I'd take it in and have them fix it.

jetstream23 01-25-2005 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doeboy
So you're saying your Xenons are on even though your light switch is set to "OFF"? I'd take it in and have them fix it.

No, the Xenons aren't on when the lights are off, the other pair of headlights are on....the inner, non-Xenon lights. The Xenons function as they should...On, Off and Auto. which is a great feature.

JonathanIT 01-25-2005 10:31 PM

Dude, your DRL's are definitely on!

BTW, this whole DRL issue isn't so much a key memory problem as it is a car memory problem (as the title of this thread suggests). In other words, you cannot program the DRL's to be active with one set of keys, and off with another. You have to decide if you want them always on or always off and the dealer will program it that way until you have them reprogram it.

Also, if you were not offered the initial key/car memory programming upon delivery, your dealer should not charge you the programming fee. The exact same thing happened to me; I didn't discover these options until I had the car a few weeks. I had to scheduled a service appointment to have it done (and had my alarm put in at the same time).

--J.

ktc 01-26-2005 08:55 AM

So please help me understand two things:

1) My dealer told me that although the lights can blink when I use the remote to lock the car, it can not be programmed to make any sound without the OEM alarm. Is this true? Reading "Jerry's E46 pickup checklist" I thought that the car should be able to honk without the alarm.

2) With my lights on "Auto", I can't tell if the HIDs are on or not (except when my dash lights up or I'm parked against a wall). According to the manual, the little LED next to the light-switch is supposed to be lit whenever the headlights are on, but it doesn't. Am I missing something here?

Thx!

JonathanIT 01-26-2005 12:34 PM

According the the link posted above from x5world.net, only the blinking light is available on the e46 as a non-alarm option... so I don't know what to tell ya. I had the alarm put in so I never investigated. I was under the impression, though, that the audible chirp (actually more like a beep or chime) was made by an actual component of the alarm system itself, e.g. the siren or other hardware.

As for the LED headlight indicator, it is definitely supposed to be lit whenever your HID's are burning. I keep an eye on it a lot when I'm out, as my lights are on "auto" and I like to know when my HID's are flicking on/off. It happens a lot even on bright days, as the light sensing seems very sensitive on this car. Every overpass I emerge from I like to know how long it takes for the lights to turn back off again.

If that little green LED is not lighting at all I would have it checked.

--J.