Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Cold Air Intake (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86412)

barcus 02-02-2005 01:44 PM

Cold Air Intake

Has anyone added a Cold Air Intake to there E46???

Please post pics and let me know what the best one is to get...

Thanks

operknockity 02-02-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barcus
Has anyone added a Cold Air Intake to there E46???

Please post pics and let me know what the best one is to get...

Thanks

Nope. Why would we wanna do a silly thing like that? :rofl:

shizat63 02-02-2005 02:26 PM

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

They will tell you GruppeM for sound and ECIS for HP gain. But you will actually lose some HP.

Artslinger 02-02-2005 02:39 PM

If its hot outside is it still a cold air intake? :dunno:

01Byte 02-02-2005 03:31 PM

I hear K&N is developing a good one (but it's somewhat delayed in release). Check with them for more details...

vaio76109 02-02-2005 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shizat63
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

They will tell you GruppeM for sound and ECIS for HP gain. But you will actually lose some HP.

Um, there is no evidence to prove this.
Here are the following more popular options and my opinions on them
Conforti-Best IMO. Has very good heatshielding and uses foam(ITG) filter
Ecis-Comparable to the conforti but uses a K&N type filter
Gruppe M-Just a bad design imo, but people say it sounds the best
Dinan-aluminum, a true "CAI" but runs the risk of hydrolocking
Benfer-same an dinan but CF
AFE-very few comments on this so far

RSPDiver 02-02-2005 07:47 PM

My aFe kicks ass! I immediately noticed a nice jump in low end power, and a greater tendency to zip through the revs. Iniquity has done litteral back-to-back dynos with adding only an aFe, and got 10 whp and 11wtq. Not too shabby.

Plus, I got mine for about $145 shipped off Ebay! ;)

AlexE46 02-02-2005 09:34 PM

yes

i dont have any pics, but i put in a racing dynamics from bavarian autosport which costed around $300 and it was defenatly worth it. when u floor it, it has the sound of it being really fast but with the classiness of BMW. it probably increases somewhere from 5-7 HP
but if you put in shricks intake manifold you will increase your hp by another 15 hp.

vaio76109 02-02-2005 09:40 PM

What schricks intake manifold?

Ron@modbargains 02-02-2005 09:45 PM

Barcus,

If you need an intake we carry several of them and I can get you some great deals on them. I havenít heard of CAI decreasing hp, only increasing. The Grouppe M is very popular and considered by most to be the best, and has one of the greatest sounds, you can check it out here. We have the ECIS which are well established and are one of few Carb legal certified, plus it has good gains. We also have the Benfer and Carbonio air intakes. Cold air intake get that term, cause normally the air intake pipe will gather the air from the ground (where there is colder air, colder air = better compression = more hp. Anyway if you or anyone else needs some CAI let us know. We'll help you guys out :thumbup:

norihaga 02-03-2005 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSPDiver
littoral back-to-back dynos ;)

Yes, there are few things in life as beautiful as a dyno run by the shore... :angel:

norihaga 02-03-2005 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexE46
i dont have any pics, but i put in a racing dynamics from bavarian autosport which costed around $300 and it was defenatly worth it. when u floor it, it has the sound of it being really fast but with the classiness of BMW. it probably increases somewhere from 5-7 HP
but if you put in shricks intake manifold you will increase your hp by another 15 hp.

Full disclosure: I had an injen intake on my old Eclipse, which did make it sound slightly nicer. Also, I am probably at risk of winning the ff award for over-consistency (just kidding, ff ;) ) ...

... but, perhaps before sinking hundreds or thousands of dollars into someone's *****me-a-boat fund, original poster should consider the amount of the power gains reported here, as well as the actual (not back to back, but still) results reported here. Of course if you just want a nicer noise, an intake will probably be 100% effective. Sticky tires and some track days/driving schools/autocrossing might be a better investment. :)

santiago 02-03-2005 05:07 AM

UUC has one in development apparently. Do a search over at E46Fanatics to see pictures of an early prototype.

RSPDiver 02-03-2005 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norihaga
Yes, there are few things in life as beautiful as a dyno run by the shore... :angel:

:ouch: :bareass: :flipoff:

vaio76109 02-03-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron@modbargains
colder air = better compression = more hp.

Actually:
colder air=denser air
denser air=more O2
more O2=more hp

vaio76109 02-03-2005 08:08 AM

Quote:

Full disclosure: I had an injen intake on my old Eclipse, which did make it sound slightly nicer. Also, I am probably at risk of winning the ff award for over-consistency (just kidding, ff ;) ) ...

... but, perhaps before sinking hundreds or thousands of dollars into someone's *****me-a-boat fund, original poster should consider the amount of the power gains reported here, as well as the actual (not back to back, but still) results reported here. Of course if you just want a nicer noise, an intake will probably be 100% effective. Sticky tires and some track days/driving schools/autocrossing might be a better investment. :)

I assume you used a G-tech? If so you can take that with a grain of salt.

AlexE46 02-03-2005 03:31 PM

Schricks intake manifold

it increases the port diameter for a significant power boost at mid and upper rpm. Problem is that it costs 1150$

norihaga 02-03-2005 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaio76109
I assume you used a G-tech? If so you can take that with a grain of salt.

Wasn't me doing the testing...

norihaga 02-03-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSPDiver
:ouch: :bareass: :flipoff:

What, you don't like the seaside? ;)

RSPDiver 02-03-2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

What, you don't like the seaside? ;)

Nope, I like marshland. ;)

vaio76109 02-03-2005 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexE46
it increases the port diameter for a significant power boost at mid and upper rpm. Problem is that it costs 1150$

I have never seen such a thing made for E46's. Altho I think Ive seen one for E36 328's.
Link?