Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BMW (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reports from the new Automotive Engineering magazine... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8682)

Mr Paddle.Shift 06-26-2002 10:05 AM

Reports from the new Automotive Engineering magazine...

Magazine arrived yesterday. Couple of interesting articles though very few related to BMW.

1. MB E class has a Cd of 0.26. That in my opinion for a sedan is brillant. What's our E46 Sedan? 0.31. This new breed also brags a computer based air control system located in the front bumper. There are 16 pneumatically adjustable louvers and the system will analyze data from vehicle speed, coolant temp, refrigerant pressure and driving conditions etc. Then decides whether to feed in cooling air.

2. On E-safety, Valeo releases the bending light technology. That's right, your headlights will bend accordingly to the road ahead. Valeo uses an algorithm that employs signals from steering wheel, wheel speed, and GPS. System is versatile to fit into OEM equipments.

3. Bosch has developed a PRE-CRASH sensor for airbag deployment. No, they don't throw a die to determine the stochastic outome of a crash. But rather this sensor measures not only deleleration but also the relative velocities of other vehicles. Time-to-impact and relative closing velocity will be determined. System is robust such that it can differentiate between a crash and a misuse situation. My guess is this is a continuous state function for airbag deployment, rather than the present discrete-state function or multistage deployment.

4. Hate drive by wire? Get ready for brake by wire for a haptic braking sytem by Delphi. More accurate feedback to alert driver of a possible collision. With "wires", there is a positive impact on environment with eliminiation of brake fluid and improved fuel economy.

Oh 1 more thing about the E class. They have a air distribution sys in the car that process data on interior, ambient and coolant temps. Along with the side window and sunroof position. Why? The amount of sunlight radiated through can be monitored by a 4-quadrant solar sensor and it will regulate the appropriate airflow and temperature in the car. :yikes:

nate 06-26-2002 10:12 AM

Wow! I did not know that the new E class has louvers that adjust the air flow :yikes:

As for brake-by-wire, I hear that it isn't perfected yet on the new E. CAR complained about how smooth the applicaiton was, etc.

Mr Paddle.Shift 06-26-2002 10:16 AM

Aye, the brake-by-wire article is a separate report from the E-class aricle. Wait...E-class having this option already? :eeps:

Quote:

Originally posted by nate328Ci
Wow! I did not know that the new E class has louvers that adjust the air flow :yikes:

As for brake-by-wire, I hear that it isn't perfected yet on the new E. CAR complained about how smooth the applicaiton was, etc.

Ausgang 06-26-2002 10:39 AM

Vince, what you doin' reading AEI Mag?

Vince,

Where'd you come up with the $90 it takes to join SAE :rolleyes: and get the mag? That $$ could have been used to fund a mod! :thumbup:

I get it at work. That's my excuse. :angel:

Mr Paddle.Shift 06-26-2002 10:43 AM

Re: Vince, what you doin' reading AEI Mag?

my research funds pay for the membership.:eeps:

SAE, IEEE, SIAM, IIE, ASME etc...you name it, I am part of it. :D

Quote:

Originally posted by Ausgang
Vince,

Where'd you come up with the $90 it takes to join SAE :rolleyes: and get the mag? That $$ could have been used to fund a mod! :thumbup:

I get it at work. That's my excuse. :angel:

JPinTO 06-26-2002 10:55 AM

Good luck getting any dealership tech to diagnose and fix one of those systems when they fail! :yikes: