Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   New 330cic - where's the love? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89297)

bjsbuds 02-27-2005 06:23 PM

New 330cic - where's the love?

My first taste of a BMW was my parents 1992 525i. Nice car. So, a few years later I ditched my Mits Eclipse for a 1995 BMW 325is, black 5 speed, sport pkg, with grey interior. It was awesome. I got rid of it only because I was given a company car, a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Free car, so you keep it for a while, then changed jobs.

In 2002 I leased an Audi A4 Quattro because it was all wheel drive (live on very hilly roads). Everytime someone asked me about it, I said it's okay, but it's not like my old BMW.

Lease was nearing it's end so the shopping began. I was not excited, nothing interested me except fond memories of my BMW which was not practical being rear wheel drive. So, I starting looking for a SUV because of my hilly roads. First stop, the BMW dealership, drove an X5, took an X3 home for the night. But, there it was, a black 330 vert on a sunny Oct day. The salesman said "don't do it", but I did drive the convertible. There is a point when emotion takes over practicality. It did.

The sunny day went away and I was disappointed, why? I just couldn't get comfortable in the seat, or the steering wheel. I thought, 'obviously this was a 6'+ man's car', the seat belt choked me, I couldn't get the steering wheel close enough to me. Why did I love my 325 so much, and this wasn't the same?

I have come to think maybe the reasons are: this one is an auto, the '95 was manual. This one has the premium package, the '95 had sport seats.

For 10 years I remembered the BMW as my dream car, and to have a convertible would be the pinnacle of it all. So where's the love?

PhilH 02-27-2005 06:30 PM

Random related thoughts:

-BMWs are meant to have manual transmissions
-the E46 3-series has a less "connected to the road" feeling than the old E36 3-series
-the convertible just makes it heavier and softer feeling
-after an Eclipse, your old 325is was a revelation...now, 10 years later, you've driven a bunch of nice cars, and even an Audi A4 isn't that special

The 330CicA is still a nice car. Enjoy it for what it is (or trade it in on a 330Ci with a manual transmission :eeps: ...or a used M3, that'll get some of the love back).

Matthew330Ci 02-27-2005 09:42 PM

it sounds like he/she's complaining about the uncomfortableness of the seating position and the steering wheel position.

machmeter 02-27-2005 09:46 PM

:dunno: If the shoes don't fit...

...run around barefoot, like me? :p

JonathanIT 02-27-2005 09:58 PM

I have nothin' but love for mine!!! :D

--J.

markl53 02-28-2005 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
it sounds like he/she's complaining about the uncomfortableness of the seating position and the steering wheel position.

True, but there's an undercurrent of disappointment in the thread... auto vs. manual trans (which he mentioned) does not affect seat position or steering wheel. I haven't driven a convertible, but I'm guessing the seat belt height adjustment is different or non-existent compared with a sedan (choking seat belt complaint). The steering wheel does telescope so I can't figure that one out, especially if he's not on the very short side (I'm short and have no problem with steering wheel distance).

Also I think PhilH keyed in on one aspect, the fact that the "uniqueness" of his original 325 experience has worn off, and compared with other cars bjsbuds has driven in the interim, the differences aren't so great.

I love my new 330i, but I have also driven a lot of nice cars in my years and I've noticed the number of cars that get me going are much fewer. At this point, there are very few that get my attention, BMW, MB, maybe Audi. I doubt I'll go back to American, and Japanese, well...

roger l. miller 02-28-2005 03:01 PM

True

I have a 2003 325i w/ the sport package-stick, and a BMW z-3. I don't like the Z other than a leisure drive with the wife. My mother- in -law's 2004 325Xi auto and sister -in -law's 325i auto drive the same. Both cars do not compare to my 325 sport sedan. Its like night and day. Give me the sport package, stiff riding beemer anyday. It drives you!

bjsbuds 03-01-2005 06:40 PM

Thanks for all your responses. I think it's the two differences that are leaving me disappointed, automatic trans & no sports package. Maybe I'll get it right on the next BMW purchase. Thanks, Kathy

rgzimmer 03-01-2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjsbuds
Thanks for all your responses. I think it's the two differences that are leaving me disappointed, automatic trans & no sports package. Maybe I'll get it right on the next BMW purchase. Thanks, Kathy

You're probably right. I checked out the non-sport verts and didn't like them. I went with the auto tranny because my wife won't drive a stick. The verdict is that I love the car, but it would probably be more fun with a stick.

mtnbound 03-02-2005 11:17 AM

I have a 2001 CiC w/steptronic. There's a lot of people on here that scoff at an auto, but for me it fits. Is it more fun to feel the power/torque of shifting with a manual? Yes, for most. But I live in the very traffic heavy Bay Area, and driving through San Francisco, up and down many VERY steep hills is simply a pain in the arse with a stick.

My car has the sports package and after the steering retrofit, the "in tune with the road" feeling was much, much improved.

Oh, and there are few things that are better than driving on a beautiful sunny CA day with the top down. =) (except maybe driving on a beautiful sunny Hawaii day....)

Mohegan29 03-02-2005 12:54 PM

I have the 2004 330i convertible with steptronic and wouldn't trade it for the manual. I also have the SP, PP and 18" wheels so my ride experience may vary fom yours. The manual is a preference to the enthusiasts, but I can't be bothered with all the shifting onthe regular roads. If I want better, tighter control I use the steptronic with the right gear...the shifting delay would only really come inplay if you wanted instant gratification. Preference: Automatic: 95% of the time, Manual: 5%. The trade off works for me, but to each their own.

I'm 5' 9" and my seats adjust any way I want and get as close as i want.

The other factor about being choked byt he seat belt. Hit the power headrest button and the seat belt adjusts with it. You should be fine with some mior tweaks that don't compromise the appropriate safety position.

One last note: if you buy a convertible, you have to get the heated seats and the wind deflector (non-BMW stenciled, please). I can drive mine when it's 40 out with hardly any heat on and not feel chilly, with a long sleeve shirt on. The air deflector let's you use your car w/top down so much. I used to hate looking at them in other cars...until I used it. :thumbup:

Presley348 03-19-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I have nothin' but love for mine!!! :D

--J.

================================================== ======
Hi JonathanIT:

I just ordered a set of 71's from BMW for my new e60 530i.

QUESTION: How do you like your 71's? Are the easy to clean? Any other BMW would you consider? I cannot find a picture of a e60 with 71's do you know where Pictures with 71's on e60 can be found on the web? :mad:

Thanks in advance,

Raymond Presley = GA

PS,
By the way the 71's look totally awesome of your 3 series, In fact I like the looks better than the style 37 M Parallels, the small lips makes the rim look like a 19inch BMW rim! :thumbup: I hope they look that good on my Bimmer.

ObD 03-19-2005 06:12 PM

It's the sports package you are missing. The non-sport seats are junk. The non-sport suspension too mushy.

cityscapex5 03-20-2005 07:09 PM

I drove a Honda Prelude Manual for 5 years in SF and i lived on a 35% Hill! I never once thought "Gee...this is a pain to drive". I sold that car years later with the original clutch! I now have a 330Ci 5 spd which i love. Admittedly the Honda has a better Manual Transmission but i don't get people who complain about a stick being difficult to drive in traffic. Is it too much trouble to have to steer the car or too difficult to flex your toe muscles when you accelerate? I have also had automatics so i'm not one of those wacky.... "aargh...all we had were manual transmissions back then .....and we liked it!" wierdo's :) get an auto cause you feel more comfortable with it but traffic...sheesh :tsk:

JonathanIT 03-20-2005 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presley348
QUESTION: How do you like your 71's? Are the easy to clean? Any other BMW would you consider? I cannot find a picture of a e60 with 71's do you know where Pictures with 71's on e60 can be found on the web? :mad:

Thanks in advance,

Raymond Presley = GA

PS,
By the way the 71's look totally awesome of your 3 series, In fact I like the looks better than the style 37 M Parallels, the small lips makes the rim look like a 19inch BMW rim! :thumbup: I hope they look that good on my Bimmer.

Hey, Thank you.

I LOVE my 71's! And they are very easy to clean, in fact I hate dirty rims so much I wipe them down after every drive, it only takes about 15 minutes. I use Adam's Polishes Detail spray, a terry detail rag and keep them waxed so they are always nice and slippery. The dust just wipes right off. The spokes are nice and wide; there are no "hard to reach" spaces. I don't think I have ever seen them on an E60, but I bet they would look sweet! :thumbup:

PLEASE, be sure to post some pics when you get them on your Bimmer!

--J.

testrada 03-20-2005 08:22 PM

I get happy every time I have to go somewhere...

when I know I am going to drive it, I just get this happy feeling.... like the feeling of a first sip of beer on a friday happy hour, but constant...

When I bought my car I did not go to the dealer to buy a car. I took our Chrysler mini-van in for service to the dealer next door and I decided to look at the new cars of the dealers in the nearby area and see what's up in the car market... When I walked into the BMW dealer, I saw the usual 3's, 5's, X's, etc.... bah... (I already owned an E36 318 and brothers and friends have E36 M3's, so nothing new....) then on the way out I saw the interior of a tit.silver 330Ci/ZHP with black leather, alcantara wheel/shift boot/hand brake, black aluminum cube dash, and anthracite whatever headliner, wheels, stance, everything was just perfect! and I just said to myself - wow! this is THE car. Went home, did some research, and went back to the delaer to test drive, in a few minutes I was signing.

Sometimes in life you see a car, a house, a girl, a bike, and you just know that it is the one for you. For me this was THE car and what did it was the over all sportyness and refinement and classiness and excitement and precise feelings all mixed in one overall package.

testrada 03-20-2005 08:25 PM

BTW, the only other time I have had that feeling of "Ah, this is the one" was when I saw the E46 M3 in black with the cinnamon leather interior..... but at the time, it was out of my reach. I like though the sportier look of alcantara and the smell of the BMW leather. If anyone creates a car scent that smell like BMW leather on a warm day, they will be rich!

JonathanIT 03-20-2005 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testrada
when I know I am going to drive it, I just get this happy feeling.... like the feeling of a first sip of beer on a friday happy hour, but constant...

When I bought my car I did not go to the dealer to buy a car. I took our Chrysler mini-van in for service to the dealer next door and I decided to look at the new cars of the dealers in the nearby area and see what's up in the car market... When I walked into the BMW dealer, I saw the usual 3's, 5's, X's, etc.... bah... (I already owned an E36 318 and brothers and friends have E36 M3's, so nothing new....) then on the way out I saw the interior of a tit.silver 330Ci/ZHP with black leather, alcantara wheel/shift boot/hand brake, black aluminum cube dash, and anthracite whatever headliner, wheels, stance, everything was just perfect! and I just said to myself - wow! this is THE car. Went home, did some research, and went back to the delaer to test drive, in a few minutes I was signing.

Sometimes in life you see a car, a house, a girl, a bike, and you just know that it is the one for you. For me this was THE car and what did it was the over all sportyness and refinement and classiness and excitement and precise feelings all mixed in one overall package.

Gee, this story seems awfully familiar... have I read it somewhere before? :D :angel:

--J.

testrada 03-20-2005 08:27 PM

it is version 2 :-)

it is version 2 :-)