Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Sport vs. Performance Package (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90380)

danpop 03-08-2005 04:16 PM

Sport vs. Performance Package

I'm thinking of getting a new 330CI with ZHP (via ED - I've already agreed upon a deal with my dealer). I am just wondering about the trade-offs of going with ZHP. The roads in NJ (and NY, CT) are pretty bad and do not seem to get any better.
My current car has the Sport Package and I find it to be an excellent balance of sportiness and comfort. For people who've had the experience of both Sport and Performance packages do you find that having ZHP you lose a lot as far as comfort is concerned?
Thanks.

Double Vanos 03-08-2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpop
I'm thinking of getting a new 330CI with ZHP (via ED - I've already agreed upon a deal with my dealer). I am just wondering about the trade-offs of going with ZHP. The roads in NJ (and NY, CT) are pretty bad and do not seem to get any better.
My current car has the Sport Package and I find it to be an excellent balance of sportiness and comfort. For people who've had the experience of both Sport and Performance packages do you find that having ZHP you lose a lot as far as comfort is concerned?
Thanks.

Dude just take a test drive and your question will be answered. Just to let you know i think my ZHP has a softer ride than my previous 325ci with the SP. It was probably the tires but the ZHP suspension is sweet and not harsh in anyway. But of course i live in a area with smooth roads so i suggest you take a test drive in YOUR area and decide for yourself. :thumbup:

stephen05zhp 03-08-2005 08:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Went from non-sport to ZHP and am happy. Consider the kind of roads you most frequently travel and the "fun" roads you have easy access to. Most of my commute is freeway, and I am less than 10 minutes from highway 25 and 198 (well-maintained, continuously curving roads!) - so my benefit/punishment ratio is right-side-up. If most of my driving was on mediocre roads, I would not get this suspension package.

icemanjs4 03-08-2005 08:44 PM

I test drove both and didn't notice any increase in harshness. The only time I felt really harsh roads was on the cobblestones in Verona, Italy. Any car will feel harsh on that. On any other roads though, all 3series seems to dampen the bumps. I can honestly say i've never felt anything like it on any other car (and I've test driven a LOT). ZHP is probably fine, but go test drive it on some normal roads out there.

jetstream23 03-08-2005 11:11 PM

Drive both! That's the only way you'll know. I like my Performance Package but I don't recommend putting a hot Starbucks cup in the cupholder....you do feel the road!

danpop 03-09-2005 06:09 AM

Thanks guys. Test driving is obviously a good idea but the dealer doesn't have any ZHP equipped cars on the lot. Beside I need to move quickly on this deal since I intend to pick up the car in Munich on June 1. From what I gather from you, ZHP seems to be not much harsher than the regular SP, so Iíll go for it.

T330ciZHP 03-09-2005 07:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys. Test driving is obviously a good idea but the dealer doesn't have any ZHP equipped cars on the lot. Beside I need to move quickly on this deal since I intend to pick up the car in Munich on June 1. From what I gather from you, ZHP seems to be not much harsher than the regular SP, so Iíll go for it.

Good choice!! :thumbup: I've driven both packages and both are outstanding! ZHP it's bit unique :D

edsmax 03-11-2005 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T330ciZHP
Good choice!! :thumbup: I've driven both packages and both are outstanding! ZHP it's bit unique :D

: popcorn:

icemanjs4 03-11-2005 09:57 PM

Quote:

So did you order yet? And did you go for the ZHP? I assume you're doing the coupe?

danpop 03-12-2005 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemanjs4
So did you order yet? And did you go for the ZHP? I assume you're doing the coupe?

Yes, sort of. I excahnged several e-mails with my dealer and they put in a pre-reservation form for a delivery in Europe, in early June. The car would be a 330CI/ZHP/PP/CWP/NAV/Xenons. I got the car for $1000 over ED invoice; hope I did well.

I still have to stop by the dealer to put in a deposit, fill whatever forms needed; I guess I'll have to do it in the next few weeks or so.

danpop 03-12-2005 05:07 AM

Quote:

Yes, sort of. I excahnged several e-mails with my dealer and they put in a pre-reservation form for a delivery in Europe, in early June. The car would be a 330CI/ZHP/PP/CWP/NAV/Xenons. I got the car for $1000 over ED invoice; hope I did well.

I still have to stop by the dealer to put in a deposit, fill whatever forms needed; I guess I'll have to do it in the next few weeks or so.

And I forgot to mention, one of the problems I have is what color combo to get? The car's been pre-ordered Silver/Black but I am considering changing it to Silver Grey/Nat Brown. What to do...?

01Byte 03-12-2005 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T330ciZHP

Yea, but then you are forced to buy special ZHP air for the tires all the time. :(

Rowag 03-14-2005 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkady
Yea, but then you are forced to buy special ZHP air for the tires all the time. :(

Yay, another of these. :tsk:

Anyway, about the actual question being asked:

I owned an SP ci and ZHP ci at the same time. The ZHP is a noticably bumpier ride, though not much, and handling is greatly improved. I'd say it's overall a better suspension package... say -1 in ride versus SP but +3 in handling. It's arguably the best suspension BMW has ever put on a 3 because of this very reason. It handles nearly as nicely as an E46 M3 but the ride is nowhere near as jarring.

icemanjs4 03-14-2005 09:21 PM

Quote:

And I forgot to mention, one of the problems I have is what color combo to get? The car's been pre-ordered Silver/Black but I am considering changing it to Silver Grey/Nat Brown. What to do...?

Congrast on the order. 1000 over Ed Invoice is a great price. Just make sure they don't try to hit you with MACO fees or any other random fees. Those don't apply to ED cars. The dealer's can be crafty about telling you that those fees apply to all cars etc.

As for color choice, Either way it will look great. Naturally I'm partial to Silver Gray over NB. If you need any pics, let me know and I'll email or PM you. What kind of trim did you order?: I'm hoping with black you chose Silver cube.