Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BMW (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Manual vs. Automatic - Various Choices (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9513)

Ack 07-17-2002 10:58 AM

Manual vs. Automatic - Various Choices

I know this poll has been conducted back in February, but since that poll didn't break down the reasoning for going with an automatic, I thought I would make a poll with a bunch of choices.

My feeling is that most of the people that drive auto's do so b/c their significant other can't drive a manual, but given the choice, they would go with a manual.

I drive a manual.

TD 07-17-2002 11:09 AM

I'd specualte that most auto/SMG drivers never learned stick and are too intimidated to try to learn. They then blame their spouses or traffic for their owning an auto.

johnlew 07-17-2002 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TD
I'd specualte that most auto/SMG drivers never learned stick and are too intimidated to try to learn. They then blame their spouses or traffic for their owning an auto.
If you're speculating about members of this forum of BMW drivers, possibly. However, I was driving sticks before you were born and most of the time you were getting ready to drive and now prefer an auto at this point of my life, all things considered. Sticks are fun when you want them and a chore when you don't. The SMG sounds like the ideal compromise, if it is at all.

Nick325xiT 5spd 07-17-2002 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TD
My Mother blames me. :p She says that I was too much of a pain in the ass all those years. Way back in 1983, she bought an automatic 300TD and has been a lost cause ever since. Now she drives an S55 AMG and loves it. (The S500's suspension was too soft and floaty for her... It made her car sick.)

MotorenWerke 07-17-2002 11:20 AM

My car is an auto, but it was given to me and it came that way :rolleyes:

IndyMike 07-17-2002 11:27 AM

Other?

I know it's not an option, but I would select an 'Other' category.
I grew up driving sticks and I taught my frau how to drive a stick on her '91 318is. But while she can drive them just fine it's not really her transmission of choice.

There was a time not long ago I would have beefed about it, but she's a good lass and I want her to be happy, too!

Besides, in the greater scheme of things to me it's really not a big deal.

johnlew 07-17-2002 11:38 AM

Re: Other?

Quote:

Originally posted by IndyMike
I know it's not an option, but I would select an 'Other' category.
I grew up driving sticks and I taught my frau how to drive a stick on her '91 318is. But while she can drive them just fine it's not really her transmission of choice.

My wife's first car was a stick, don't ask what it was, which she drove quite well when I met her. Has preferred an auto ever since then and in fact has pretty much driven Detroit iron only. But, she is about to be enlightened and spoiled while still happily in an auto. :D

Mystikal 07-17-2002 11:40 AM

Last year when I was learning to drive a got bored with an auto after about 3 months. Learned the fundamentals of operating a clutch in 10 mins in an empty parking lot and never looked back. :thumbup:

IndyMike 07-17-2002 11:53 AM

Re: Re: Other?

Quote:

Originally posted by johnlew

My wife's first car was a stick, don't ask what it was, which she drove quite well when I met her. Has preferred an auto ever since then and in fact has pretty much driven Detroit iron only. But, she is about to be enlightened and spoiled while still happily in an auto. :D

Yeah. My wife is extremely easy to please when it comes to transportation. Just like I'm extremely easy to please when it comes to preparing meals. Just put it in front of me and I'll make hay with it, even sans utensils.

I kinda wish she had a zeal to drive sticks, but she is the way she is.

So I buy her cars with automatics to please her, and to please me she prepares meals and now gives me a knife and a fork. :D :D

P.s. Shouldn't there also be a category of "Manual - cause I'm a cheap a$$!" :eeps: :dunno: :D

IndyMike 07-17-2002 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mystikal
Learned .............in an empty parking lot
That's probably how most of us learned. Mine was Macy's parking lot. It was usually quarter full when I started, but it didn't take long before it was empty. Funny how the word spreads like wildfire:

Macy's PA System: "Don't forget the sale on Avon cosmetics in aisle 5, and this just in; there's been a sighting of a non-driver in south parking lot #7. Please remember our vehicle damage and theft disclaimer!"

JST 07-17-2002 03:11 PM

No stick, no sale. Out of the dozen or so cars I've had, only one was an automatic, and it was the worst year of my driving life.

Despite my strong pro-stick bias, I was prepared to cave and get an automatic in the second car, but fortunately my gracious bride agreed to learn how to drive a stick, so now we have two. She's getting good, and smoke has only been visible from the clutch region once.

ed325i 07-17-2002 04:20 PM

I drive a manual, but would love to have a SMGII. I heard that the SMG that is being sold in Europe for non-M3 E46s are much inferior to the M3's SMGII system. Too bad.

Ed

vexed 07-17-2002 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnlew

If you're speculating about members of this forum of BMW drivers, possibly. However, I was driving sticks before you were born and most of the time you were getting ready to drive and now prefer an auto at this point of my life, all things considered. Sticks are fun when you want them and a chore when you don't. The SMG sounds like the ideal compromise, if it is at all.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Just realized I learned to drive a stick about 30 years ago:bawling: My car is a step--but for none of the reasons above and my other vehicle is a pickup with a stick. To generalize about why people have steps is reckless.:tsk:

Dr. Phil 07-17-2002 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vexed

:thumbup: :thumbup: Just realized I learned to drive a stick about 30 years ago:bawling: My car is a step--but for none of the reasons above and my other vehicle is a pickup with a stick. To generalize about why people have steps is reckless.:tsk:

Hmmm what's your third car:dunno: :p Yea I know PDC is for weenies:(

My choice was Step or no deal, hence I voted spouse choice.

vexed 07-17-2002 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Hmmm what's your third car:dunno: :p Yea I know PDC is for weenies:(

That's her vehicle--but she likes to drive the pickup too and is very proficient on a stick.:thumbup:

Dr. Phil 07-17-2002 04:35 PM

Quote:

That's her vehicle--but she likes to drive the pickup too and is very proficient on a stick.:thumbup:

My God you did find the perfect woman:bigpimp: ;)

vexed 07-17-2002 04:37 PM

Quote:

My God you did find the perfect woman:bigpimp: ;)

Well...has she been emailing you again:lmao:

Mr Paddle.Shift 07-17-2002 05:09 PM

:lmao:

I even took my driving test with a stick. Drove around a Rover in my military days with a stick too. Reason why I bought a step? Cos someday I wanted to shift like a Switchtronic. And I did.

Quote:

Originally posted by TD

Dr. Phil 07-17-2002 05:11 PM

Quote:

Well...has she been emailing you again:lmao:

:yikes:

Busted :bigpimp: Who do you think talked her into making the BIG step:angel:

Dr. Phil 07-17-2002 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
:lmao:

I even took my driving test with a stick. Drove around a Rover in my military days with a stick too. Reason why I bought a step? Cos someday I wanted to shift like a Switchtronic. And I did.

There's always an "Other" response isn't there:D

Any word on the next project:dunno:

Mr Paddle.Shift 07-17-2002 05:19 PM

My other half took her driving test in stick too. :D

Doh, what's with the "next" project thing? :confused: You're the second person who asked me. Did someone leak a fart somewhere? :D Alrightie, I am working on a new project, with new parts, but not far off from the retrofit. Hush-hush...

Speaking of which, I think Ausgang really wants me to fly over to NY one of these days to work on the paddle-shift retro...:eek: I heard Alee and you will be treating me to Morton's Steak house. Right? In that case, why not! :D

Quote:

There's always an "Other" response isn't there:D

Any word on the next project:dunno:

Kaz 07-17-2002 05:31 PM

I learned to drive on MT, but my last car was AT for reasons beyond my control. I'm happy to be back on MT.

My parents were both strictly MT folks but in their older age they now prefer AT.

Dr. Phil 07-17-2002 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
My other half took her driving test in stick too. :D

Doh, what's with the "next" project thing? :confused: You're the second person who asked me. Did someone leak a fart somewhere? :D Alrightie, I am working on a new project, with new parts, but not far off from the retrofit. Hush-hush...

Speaking of which, I think Ausgang really wants me to fly over to NY one of these days to work on the paddle-shift retro...:eek: I heard Alee and you will be treating me to Morton's Steak house. Right? In that case, why not! :D

I just took a guess on the "project":D

If you come east you can count on 2 things, me coming to dinner and Alee picking up the tab:p Thanks Al:bigpimp:

Look forward to your visit:thumbup:

Mr Paddle.Shift 07-17-2002 06:13 PM

Damn! Alee is that generous huh? :D

Three cheers for AL! Hip hip hooray! X 3.

:D:D

Quote:

I just took a guess on the "project":D

If you come east you can count on 2 things, me coming to dinner and Alee picking up the tab:p Thanks Al:bigpimp:

Look forward to your visit:thumbup:

nate 07-17-2002 07:31 PM

Manual, I hate driving automatics :)