Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Curious-- what non-software related problems does the e60 have? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96164)

bmw325 04-28-2005 12:35 PM

Curious-- what non-software related problems does the e60 have?

I know the e60 has a bunch of software related issues. But, what (if any) "mechanical" issues are there (by that, I mean anything that can actually wear out or break such as window regulators, suspension bushings, transmissions, engines, etc).

I'm just asking out of curiousity. In my casual perusal of these forums, it seems like nearly every e60 issue is software related. If that's truly the case, that's actaully pretty good for a new BMW-- to just have software issues and no niggling mechanical issues.

I say this is "good" for a few reasons:
-software issues have a higher likelihood of actually getting fixed by BMW (since it doesn't involve re-desiging and producing a new part).
-Less chance for dealers to screw up your car in the process-- all they have to do is plug their computer in, download the right software to it and call BMW if they can't figure out how to do that. With mechanical problems, there's lots of opportunities to actually screw up the car.

Bart001 04-28-2005 01:29 PM

The software related issues I've read about, other than a few annoyances with some radio settings (that definitely don't happen to everyone), related to SMG transmission issues and some active steering issues.

I don't know of any documented hardware issue that's affecting a lot of E60 5ers, unless you want to pick on the first generation cup holders :dunno:

noonehome 04-28-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg
I know the e60 has a bunch of software related issues. But, what (if any) "mechanical" issues are there (by that, I mean anything that can actually wear out or break such as window regulators, suspension bushings, transmissions, engines, etc).

I'm just asking out of curiousity. In my casual perusal of these forums, it seems like nearly every e60 issue is software related. If that's truly the case, that's actaully pretty good for a new BMW-- to just have software issues and no niggling mechanical issues.

I say this is "good" for a few reasons:
-software issues have a higher likelihood of actually getting fixed by BMW (since it doesn't involve re-desiging and producing a new part).
-Less chance for dealers to screw up your car in the process-- all they have to do is plug their computer in, download the right software to it and call BMW if they can't figure out how to do that. With mechanical problems, there's lots of opportunities to actually screw up the car.

Rattles from the rear parcel shelf were frequent in the early period.