Thread: Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
Note that only Mobil 1 0W40 meets BMW oil specifications, so using the other grades can be problematic at best. If in doubt, just use the BMW branded stuff.

BTW, its Mobil, not Mobile (which is a city in Alabama).
That is incorrect. The "Service and Warranty Information" booklet for my 2003 330Ci says that "Mobil 1 5w-30 and 5w-40 oils are strongly recommened and approved by BMW for the 325 and 330 models." This is stated on page 4.

Even though I use 0w-40, there is nowhere in the manual that says this is an approved viscosity. Mobil 1 0w-40 says it meets BMW LL-01 specs, but beyond that there is no mention in any of my BMW factory literature that says and brand of 0w-40 is approved. In fact, my factory literature says that Mobil 1 is the only other oil approved by BMW besides the "official" BMW synthetic.

I've heard the BMW Owners Circle has an updated list of approved oils. I checked that once several months ago and remember seeing Valvoline 5w-30 as being approved also. However, I have never been able to navigate to that approved list since. I wonder if BMW removed it for some reason.

SLO Town