Thread: Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 10:00 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Town
That is incorrect. The "Service and Warranty Information" booklet for my 2003 330Ci says that "Mobil 1 5w-30 and 5w-40 oils are strongly recommened and approved by BMW for the 325 and 330 models." This is stated on page 4.

Even though I use 0w-40, there is nowhere in the manual that says this is an approved viscosity. Mobil 1 0w-40 says it meets BMW LL-01 specs, but beyond that there is no mention in any of my BMW factory literature that says and brand of 0w-40 is approved. In fact, my factory literature says that Mobil 1 is the only other oil approved by BMW besides the "official" BMW synthetic.

I've heard the BMW Owners Circle has an updated list of approved oils. I checked that once several months ago and remember seeing Valvoline 5w-30 as being approved also. However, I have never been able to navigate to that approved list since. I wonder if BMW removed it for some reason.

SLO Town
I think the only source of information that we can trust on this mater is BMW TIS. I posted a list of approved oils taken from BMW TIS in this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+approved+oils