View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
Yeah but there's no hills in NJ, that makes a BIG difference even on the highways. (Unless you're in the NorthWest corner.) To get 450 miles on a tank of gas is almost 32mpg if you take 14 gallons when you fill up, either that or you wait until there's nothing but fumes left in the tank!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
100% highway, mostly flat, keeping it under 85mph, actually watching the mpg gauge to learn to use the throttle as parsimoniously as possible.

Not sure how accurate the mpg gauge really is, but if you lift up on the throttle ever so slightly, you'll see the needle go over 30 w/o any loss in RPMs or speed.
On my trip to bimmerfest last year, I got 450+ miles out one tank of gas never using cruise control. Cruise control seems to waste more gas than it saves. When I filled up, I think it was about 15 gallons. I also wasted some gas in the city before hitting the freeway for Santa Barbara.

Oh, and I'm with shizat63 in using the mpg gauge. It's taught me to use my throttle a little better, although it takes a lot of concentration. I rather just keep up with traffic, but when the streets are empty or I'm in the mood, watching that mpg gauge allows me to bring the mpg up.