View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325ci
Cool Skeptical me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
I'm sure the dealer would be happy to fill it up for you, but why not just put in the recommended fluid mix (i.e. water/antifreeze) to top it off yourself...
My dealer told me to simply add water. Since the concentration of the antifreeze from the factory protects it to crazy cold temps, a little water wouldn't dilute it too much. I ignored him, of course, and bought some good Prestone pre-mixed anti freeze. It was pricey, but worth the peace of mind. Ended up needing close to a half gallon of fluid.

Two dealers told me two different stories about why this happens, btw... One told me that the water in the antifreeze mixture is released a little bit at a time through a pressure release valve, causing the level to eventually drop. Another dealer told me that the water pump uses the antifreeze as lubricant, which eventually causes antifreeze loss. I don't believe either of these stories.

I've never before had a car that lost antifreeze (but all my past cars have been acuras, so of course not). As far as I knew, the antifreeze overflow tank is what deals with the fluid expansion. And I can tell you for sure that water, mixed with antifreeze or not, is a horrible lubricant, so I don't buy the water pump story either.

I'd love to know the real reason why this happens.