View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
My `04 ZHP Coupe gets between 20-24 mpg with 50/50 mixed city/highway driving....identical to my `99 528i SP.
War Story:
Back in `78, during the second Opec-inspired gas crisis, my landlord bought a new VW Rabbit, hoping to better his long-commute mileage compared to his old AMC wagon. He owned two houses, side by side....I rented one, and he lived in the other with his wife and infant son. He always parked his car in my driveway, as there was considerably more room.Anyway, he started bragging (a lot) about the mileage in the new Rabbit, and after a month or so, I decided to have some fun with him....every couple of nights, I would go out to the driveway, and clandestinely add a quart or two of gas to his tank....he was astounded by his new car`s incredible mileage....over a few weeks, I increased the amounts, until he was "getting" 84 miles per gallon. Then, one night, I began siphoning gas *out*, a few gallons at a clip....he was depressed, his mileage had fallen to 18 mpg....then, his wife told me that he had called the dealer to complain. Seems that after the SA heard the complaint, he put the conversation on speaker phone, and everyone in the place was howling with laughter over "the guy getting 84 mpg from a Rabbit"....I never told him the *real* problem....

Regards,
Bob