View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 10:50 PM
B zzzz ZZZZZZZ zzzz

Mein Auto: X3 F25 N55
Oil is the engines garbage can, by products of anything that goes on, from combustion to particles of what have you from friction and wear end up here. The Synthetic may very well out last the regular – from a molecular point of view - but, the cleanliness of the oil (or lack there of) is what is going to kill your engine.

If the cars were outfitted with both an oil temperature gauge (so I can tell if the oil is being over heated), and a differential pressure gauge on the oil filter (so I can tell how clogged the filter is), I would be more able to accept the “super long” service intervals if I was able to check on these items myself.

In the early days, car engines were maintained on an “hours run” clock. People prefer to read odometers, enough said.

Lets consider that some bearings (be they roller or bronze) in heavy equipment are only designed for 3500 hours, if one does some math for a typical car based on 3500 hours life with respect to km driven (ignoring all the stuff a real engineer would consider):

3500 hours at 60 kph = 210000 km driven

Say we are driving on the highway (with a little speeding… lets be honest):

3500 hours at 120 kph = 420000 km driven

24000 km between oil services, average speed being driven is 60 kph = 400 hours.
Roughly 8-9 oil changes before the service life of the bearing has expired (statistically).
8000 km between oil services, average speed being driven is 60 kph = 133 hours.
Roughly 26 oil changes before the service life of the bearing has expired (statistically).

I would hazard to guess that most people don’t drive their cars till 210000 km, and when I think about it, 3500 hours sitting in a car, my commute is 1.5 hours total each day, for 2333 days, or 6.4 years. I don’t know if I will be around in 6.4 years!

Last edited by little<><; 01-25-2005 at 10:52 PM.