View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 11:16 PM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: a BMW of course!
Great review! I personally spend a lot of my extra time on the track (in the Vette, not the 330!) and I would love to have something akin to SMGII in it.

I fully agree that driving is about smoothness and finesse with the inputs - whether they be paddles and throttle or a clutch, shifter, and throttle. Rowing the gears and depressing the clutch is not something I consider mandatory to my experience, although I feel more empowered as a driver having learned how to heel and toe and row smoothly up and down the gears.

Given the chance, I would switch to something like SMGII without hesitation, given what I've read so far. The best thing for me would be the additional "cycles" it frees up for me to use to concentrate on other tasks. Like that 140 MPH down to 45 MPH downshift and threshold brake into turn one at VIR.

Thank you for posting your review - excellent reading and we all appreciate the input, even those of us who don't agree with it.

(BTW, I would never use the clutch to pull revs off the engine - thats what the brake is for, and replacing brake pads is a whole helluva lot cheaper than replacing your clutch )

For Sale:
*** Parting out entire 2003 E39 M5 *** - TONS OF PARTS AVAILABLE