View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Wow. You, M. Wong, & Firewalker provide excellent advice for all of us
(I believe any problem for one of us can affect someone else at any time; so a healthy discussion benefits even those who don't have the problem yet.)

Quote:
the battery was the wrong battery for the car ... unless you can find evidence of how the wrong battery ended up in the car
I do not plan on disputing the battery charges as $144.50 appears to be only about a 50% dealer markup - which - in my experience - is acceptable.
I might take you up on that research though, as I just noticed the "Vehicle History Report" contains the complete name and address of the original owner. (Amazing ... you'd think her name, address, and phone would be private information that I should have no access to. Do they provide everyone our names and addresses when we sell our cars to just anyone?)

If I can find the phone number of that original owner, I'll give her a call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer
I think you need to insist on the promised extensive diagnostic report which you wrote right on the invoice was a condition of payment and they never objected to.
Good action plan. I called today. Left a message. "D" called back within an hour. I appreciate the responsiveness. "D" was professional. He agreed when I reiterated that the promised "extensive diagnostic report" wasn't satisfactory. He offered to run that report for me the next time I brought the car in (which is scheduled for next week to replace the pixels).

The catch is he asked ME what diagnostic report I wanted.

Uh ... er ... um ... hey ... I'm not the BMW professional here.
I mean, I understand amperage, current, capacitance, inductance and all that, BUT, I do not know what an hour and a half of "extensive diagnostics" would consist of for a brand I've only owned for a month. I thought they knew what to test for (they certainly knew how to charge for the test).

Still, the ball is now in my court.

Should I open a separate thread on what enthusiasts consider reasonable diagnostics to determine why this 2002 BMW 525i (manufactured in 11/2001) is on its third battery three years later?

Note: I opened a separate BMW General thread on how we can protect OUR personal information: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92183

Last edited by shaftdrive; 03-24-2005 at 06:11 PM.