View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Cef

Mein Auto: 1987 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 325i
A couple of Qs from a new BMW owner ('89 325I) who, having now driven one, will never drive anything else! Brought back the fun to driving. Great cars.

1. Does anyone know of a good non-dealer BMW mechanic in the Boston area, preferably north or west of Boston? Smart, experienced, reasonably honest?

2. Is there an relatively easy way to check the wear on a timing belt? And are the consequences of a blown timing belt dire, i.e., expensive? Also, what's generally considered a reasonable price to have a timing belt and water pump replaced? Dealer wanted $800 which seemed insane to me; local garage wanted $300 - $500. Ballpark price and approx. number of manhours to do the job?

3. Have a fuel smell in the compartment which I think is related to a leak in a hose somewhere on the top or side of the tank where it's impossible to see or feel with your hand. (Fuel odor appears when tank is filled and dissapate as fuel level drops.) Have taken off both access ports under seat and looked around, but can see nothing obviously wrong. Problem is you can't see much beyond the areas dierctly under the access ports. Anybody know of any diagrams that might indicate what's under there, e.g., hoses, where you can't see? (Bently manual is no help here.) I would like to avoid having to drop the tank, if possible.

4. Can you get the injectors out of a M20 engine without removing the intake manifold? Car has 168,000 miles on it and I doubt that the O rings on the injectors have ever been replaced. Is is likely that they need to be replaced by now? I suspect I may have clogged injectors and bad seals, but am hesitant to take off the intake manifold as I am a fairly inexperienced mechanic, albeit enthusiastic and not entirely stupid (although my ex-wife will dispute that.)

Any and all advice gratefully accepted.
If your tank is like my 1987 325. There are three metal connections that sometimes get rusted as mine did. Had the same problems with fuel smell and it turned out I had a small pin hole in the center return line. I couldn't see it and as you said Bently was no help with the fuel tank. I had to pull it out. I could have replaced it with a fuel line by feeding it over the tank and saved myself a lot of work. But the other ones are going bad so it was time to replace the tank. I'm curious as to what your mechanic finds with your fuel tank and what he recommends to fix it. A new tank runs anywhere from $282.00 to $377.00 not inculding shipping. I found several in junk yards from $120.00 including shipping to Michigan to $165.00 not including shipping. It will be worth it and once you get all the bugs worked out you can get another couple hundred thousand out it. We have over 217,000 and going strong.

Good Luck