View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cef5917
You should be able to see all 4 from your inspection plate under your rear seat. You could just have a worn out casket on your fuel pump and sending unit. The 87 325's have a transfer pump that feeds a main fuel pump under the driver side of the car. The main hose just goes over the top of the tank is held in place by a piece of tape ( I have fed a new one thorugh with no problems). Your car should have just one pump that is in the tank that pumps to your fuel rail. Then there are two return lines going towards the drivers side. The one on the right looking towards the drivers side feed back into the tank and couldn't be refitted with a hose. The next one is metal but feeds to another hose just off the top of your tank on the drivers side. That one you could feed a hose and bypass the metal line on top of the tank. On the passenger side of the tank is a large return hose back to the filler area in the trunk. A quick way to see if anything is leaking. Pull your back seat, go fill up your tank, pull the inspection plate, have a flash lite and inspection mirror and look for any leaking fuel. With the car running you will be able to see if it's leaking from your gasket or one of the return lines. If it doesn't leak until the tank is full you can do what my wife did for about 3 years. She never filled it up, but sooner or later it (tank) will have to be replaced. With your tank full it will give you a good reason to burn off some of that gas and take a ride. Some people have told me once the tank is out it can be fixed. Since I live in Michigan and they use salt on the roads during the winters most of our cars rust from the inside out. I didn't want to go through all the work of taking it out and have another part rust out.
Good luck!
Thanks. I've filled the tank and looked for leaks with the inspection covers off and haven't been able to see anything. Gaskets look pretty good. Have read a description of what it takes to drop the tank and it's not a job i want to tackle right now nor would it be inexpensive to pay to have done. For the time being I'm going to adopt your wife's approach and not fill the tank to the top. There are a few other places in the car that I'd rather put the money first.

FYI, this car came out of Vermont where they also use a lot of salt on the roads (car has some rust issues that need ot be addressed) and where they call early springtime "mud season," that's how much of the stuff they have! The back roads, of which there are a lot, are generally unpaved and really rough. Tough place to live if you're a car.

One last question: when I'm lying under the car looking up, am I looking at the actual gas tank itself or some sort of proective covering that goes over the tank, so that there's a space between the tank and this shield???

Thanks again.