View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man
Again, it all depends. If you get a used vehicle with high miles and find a salvage M3, the conversion and cost of the car may be significantly cheaper than buying a new/used M3. Plus, you can mod exhaust, cams, intake, suspension without the cost of the original M3 parts. And, at the end, it's your own Frankenstein, your baby. I can understand it. It maybe more cost effective as well.

And there's always the attachment factor some people have with their cars. And a non-M3 with at least equivalent if not more performance than M3 with stealth in the hands of someone who can drive it would be cool... Just like the M3 RE E46 Wagon.

I've been toying to buy an Evo VIII from the first year of production with high miles at a total bargain. Learn to drive it with courses and then have some fun with it making it into a beast with a Tomei 2.3L motor, 6sp Mtisu tranny and MR shocks, as well as some turbo magic from AMS.
We're talking about several different things here. All the parts you throw at a non-M is ever going to 'turn' it into a M3. The E46M3 is fundamentally too different. Using your referenceing of the Evo, think about whether it would even be possible to take a Lancer and turn it into anything resembling an Evo. Pour in all the money you want, it's still a half-baked facsimilie of the E46M3 sitting in the next lane at the stoplight... that you could have bought for the, say, $20k you put into your Frankencar.

The RE Wagon is a different story. A M3 Wagon doesn't exist so it's truly a unique creation.

And taking an Evo and modding it is different, too, since the starting point is completely different.