View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6, X6M, Boxster S
Mr. B says, "BMW gets villified for putting an auto in the E36 M3 sedan, but it's OK to put one in the M6? Not..."

Like I have said many times in this discussion, IMHO the M3 buyer and the M6 buyer are from much different demographics. Any backlash or vilification from offering a Steptronic in the M6 would be much different (less) than offering one in an M3. The M3 is a much lighter car and as such is much more trackable than the M6. There is no doubt that the M6 is a monster in sheep's clothing and is very fast on the track. But I seriously doubt that you will see lines of M6 owners at the track chomping-at-the-bit to hammer their M6's around the track. On a percentage basis (of model quantities produced), M6's at the track will be far less than M3's. People ain't dropping $100 large on THIS car to take it to the track.

My only point is this. As far as optional transmissions go (M6 only), based on the demographics of a $100,000 automobile purchasors (here in the States) , if the Steptronic was offered, it would far outsell the manual transmission that is offered, hence, they should at least offer it.

I have no way of supporting my premise, other than to draw a (loose) correlation from the buyers of Steptronics vs. SMG's in the 645, with the former being much much greater. To continue with the correlation, I think the buyer of the 645/650 might/could be closer to a M6 buyer than an M3 buyer , demographically speaking of course.

Last edited by MaxTimeOff; 05-27-2005 at 08:28 AM.