View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Computer? Say what...

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTimeOff
Philippek,

With all due respect, I think you're wrong, very wrong. The vocal minority that frequents these boards will support your view. I think there is a wide majority of badge buyers etc. that don't care about these car aficionado sites and could care less about posting on them that would buy an M6 in an auto format and won't even look at the car because of the manual transmission. How many people who currently own an AMG Mercedes would buy them if the only option was a 6 speed? I think you would see a lot less buyers in that market. I bet Mercedes analyzed the demographic pretty seriously when they began to expand the AMG offerings and it is no mistake that auto transmissions are offered.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer that BMW is keeping the production relatively small but they could blow out the catagory if they wanted to by offering an auto. They would clean Benz's (AMG) clock IMHO.
Thank God BMW hasn't sold out to "badge buyers" when it comes to the M line. There is nothing worse than an 80yr geezer in a performance car that never breaks the speed limit. What's the point? BMW can sell plenty of cars to all the "badge buyers" who aren't interested in performance via the 3,5,6,7 series, no need to degrade the pool of buyers who buy M cars. This is where principle comes into play...