View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterBmw
Also the M6 is a high reving V10. With an automatic even on steptronic mode, the driver wont be able to reach the High Rpms that the car was meant to excell in.
Indeed. The limiting factor would be the gearbox innards so you'd have to have your 8,500 rpm-capable engine limited to 7.something. I can't actually think of any automatic which revs that high; the high-test Honda VTECs aren't available with auto; only the lower-tune RX-8 has an auto option. The only ones I can think of which compare are automatic Porsche 911s (997); but even they don't come close to the M5's max crank speed, topping out over 1,000 rpm lower.

Of older performance automatics with revvy engines, the NSX's automatic (shudder) had a detuned engine; the 456GTA similarly, and the Merc 190 Cosworth featured a lower redline when a four-speed slushie was specified. So the odds of an automatc M5/6 will shorten only when BMW switches to forced induction and a good ole single TB, or ZF et al figure it out. Whichever comes first...